No rating

Boulder Country Day

Private | PK-8 | 340 students

We are best known for excellent faculty, rigorous curriculum and small classes.

Living in Boulder

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $285,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Posted October 19, 2014

We have two kids at BCD, one in 8th grade and one in 5th. We couldn't be happier with the education and community of BCD. I have no doubt our 8th grader will be more than prepared for high school. He does have homework every night, but can manage this and have a full schedule of sports. His time management and organizational skills will be useful next year in high school and beyond. The teachers in both the middle school and elementary school are second to none. This is a school where my children are thriving and absolutely love it. They do not want to consider any other schools through 8th grade and trust me we have always given them the option. They are happy, well rounded and love learning. I credit BCD, the administration and especially the teachers.

Posted September 24, 2014

We just joined BCD this Fall and have two children in Middle School. Our children were previously at a private, IB, international school in France and they are extremely impressed with the academic level of their peers at BCD (they commented that "everyone there seems so smart and interested in learning"). This was a big transition for our children, who have never lived in the U.S., and the private attention and support that we have received from the school is incredible. We already feel that it is a wonderful, caring, engaging place for our children to be and we couldn't be happier with our choice! The community aspect of it is fabulous with my son reading to children in the lower school on Fridays (which he loves) and they have established school families that cut across grades allowing everyone to get to know each other. I would recommend BCD very highly.

Posted June 18, 2014

I am a middle school parent and my child has had an incredible experience at BCD. The quality of the teachers is outstanding, they care about my child, and they have gone the extra mile on several occasions to ensure my child's success. BCD's motto is respect yourself, respect others, and take responsisbility for your actions, and the school teaches these values with intent. Academically, my child is getting a first-rate education. Math and science are particularly strong at BCD as are the humanities. Middle school students take two languages (French or Spanish and Latin), and the exploratory program (think electives) offers middle school students choice in lots of different disciplines. My child has also enjoyed and benefitted from the 1:1 program. All students have a tablet and they can access their work from any wifi signal. Most important to me is the BCD community. It is welcoming, supportive, generous, and incredibly fun. It is not a chore to get involved, and the people I've met here are much more diverse than I thought they would be. If you are looking for a great middle school experience for your child, I could not recommend BCD more highly.

Posted May 12, 2014

Incredible school. As with many other parents, can't really think of any better situation for our elementary school child. She was average (or below average) in math at beginning of this (her first year) at BCD. Big surprise, the whole class uses a math textbook that's one grade ahead! No problem for our child; she not only caught up but is chasing 100% scores on math homework and quizzes. Was it easy and did it happen in the 1st week? Of course not, but she has systematically, with targeted help from teachers gone from barely "at grade level" in math to one year AHEAD in math. Class sizes are awesome, with 13 children total. Before, at public school the teacher was forced to spend much of her time on fewer than 5% of the class...so the average (or above-avg.) children were not led to their potential. With BCD's small class sizes, and a caring teacher it's AMAZING how much a child can learn. Our child does her share, too, with about 2 hours of homework a night but she's very happy and excited about school. Languages are great with French, Spanish & Latin required. Even in elem. her day is more like m.s. with visits to art lab, sci. lab, music and then back to homeroom.

Posted April 20, 2014

I'm an alumni of Bcd, and my time at Bcd was absolutely awful. throughout the years it has jut gotten worse. I have many times been harassed by teachers (NEVER BY STUDENTS). Teachers have even made me cry. Every student I have ever talked to has cried at least once from the harassment of a teacher. The bcd website is false advertising. the bcd community is a disgrace to the Boulder community. The Faculty is a disgrace. The academics were good but didn't prepare me at all for the life I would have in high school. I felt like I could never be myself do to the restrictions put on style, clothing, and person laity. Teachers would never help me work through a problem. At this point I would go talk to my parents and ask them to talk to the teacher. The teachers would lie to my parents time after time. I would never ever ever in a trillion years recommend this school to anybody unless they want to have a couple of depressed, unhappy children. In fact I wish there was an option to give this school 0 stars.

Posted March 14, 2014

My son in in first grade at BCD. He has attended BCD since preschool and my husband and I can honestly say that his (and our) experience has been consistently outstanding. Our son has struggled with learning to read and he has consistently received support, time, energy, and care from his teachers. He started off this year at one of the lowest reading levels in his class. However, the individualized support of his teacher and the entire BCD team has helped him move to exactly where he should be. This is amazing! What warms my heart the most though, is that he does not know that he struggles. His teacher supports all of the students in his class and tailors instruction to meet each child s learning style and needs. We could not be happier with our experience. BCD teachers are amazing!

Posted March 12, 2014

I just returned from my daughter's elementary school teacher conferences. I chose BCD for their small classes, strong academics, and value of community and character. Her lead teacher is amazing! This teacher has the ability to push all levels in her classroom. It is so nice that my daughter does not have to leave the classroom to be enriched; she gets challenging work at her level right there with her peers. The BCD community makes all types of learners feel good about where they are at. No matter what level they are on, they are all valued and celebrated. The other thing they teach is self-awareness of how your actions affect others. This is no easy task in elementary school, and I was impressed when I saw my daughter's self-evaluation on her study skills and interpersonal skills. It showed me she really was developing an awarness about her own strengths and areas that still need some work. I look forward to seeing her continued growth.

Posted March 12, 2014

As a parent, I'm confused by the bad review. It has not been our family's experience. We have two students at BCD, one elementary school student and one middle school student. Our students have needed help on both ends of the spectrum this year. One is extremely bright and has been challenged at an appropriate level in the classroom, like the previous reviewer. The other has needed extra help in math. Her math teacher has provided unparelled help to support our daughter. The teacher sent us the sylabus each month with links to websites that would help our daughter prep for the topic before hand, or to use as extra help at home. She also invited our daughter to come in before school and during lunch to go over any questions she might have. We have seen our daughter's math grade go from a C in the first trimester to an A- this trimester. But best of all, our daughter no longer says she "can't do math." As for class size, our elementary schooler has 13 in her class with one lead teacher and a student teacher. Our middle schooler has only one class with 19 students and the rest are under 15. Our daughters have thrived at this school.

Posted March 12, 2014

I'm a student, and I just moved here. Nobody at this said, "Hey, look at the new kid" They were very welcoming; the frist day somebody asked me to play with them. Now, I have some great friends; it's the best school I have ever been to. GO BULLDOGS! -from a current student

Posted February 19, 2014

We've known BCD for awhile now and it's not the same school it used to be. This school has become a disappointment. The marketing message is inconsistent with how they treat their students and the quality of teaching. Don't be fooled by talk of small classes and supposed caring of each individual student. Its marketing hype and the follow through is shallow. The teachers are quite busy, often unavailable to help, and don't really seem to care. I hear a lot of talk and see very little action in terms of giving individual attention, as marketed. In fact, many teachers seem stressed and unhappy with their jobs. Perhaps it's related to changes and turnover. It's definitely not worth the cost of tuition right now. You won't find a group of engaged children. They're mostly compliant, but that's about it. It's too bad, for $15k a year, it's disappointing that the quality doesn't match the price tag. Their marketing and branding is good, just don't have high expectations for you child's education with current staff.

Posted November 3, 2013

Evolves and adapts each year. I love this school. Just when I think it's perfect, it gets better. The emphasis on character and education distinguishes BCD from other area schools. If you want your child to have a rigorous educational experience, while demanding the best from them as people, send them to BCD.

Posted September 3, 2013

I am a student at Boulder Country Day and I love the school! All the teachers are highly qualified in their fields and are always there for you if you need help or just some care and support. It is an amazing place to get a great education, make life-long friends and become part of a community that will never fail to help you. I have been to both public, and private schools and would recommend this school over any other . The small classes and individualized learning approach make it possible for for anyone to reach their full potential.

Posted July 18, 2013

I have a daughter in the Middle School at Boulder Country Day. She has thrived there since Pre-K. The class size, teachers and the ability to get involved and really be a part of the community are what she likes best. The faculty and staff know the kids and are always there for them before, during and after school. This is a place where the kids are challenged and can reach their potential everyday. The Middle School exploratory classes that the kids get two times a day let them experience new areas of interest like photography, drama, art, yoga, sports, technology, etc. With regard to the core classes, Math, Science, Language, History and English I have no doubt that when she graduates she will be prepared for her high school years. Last year the school added STEM to the curriculum. My daughter loved it and cannot wait for what she will do in STEM next year. As a parent, at this school for the last 9 years, I have seen this school grow and change in so many positive ways especially in technology and the arts. Lastly, I cannot say enough about the faculty at this school and their level of education, experience, commitment and knowledge of their subjects.

Posted March 17, 2013

We have had both of our kids at BCD since we moved from the Bay Area. The academics at this school are more advanced than our school in California and the teachers are very on top of how the kids are doing and communicate well with the parents. Our kids are also very happy with the school and are excited to go to school every day.

Posted March 7, 2013

My family moved to Colorado in 2011 when our only daughter was entering 6th grade, a very difficult age for many, especially entering into a school with children who have known one another for some time. Our daughter can be an introvert, rather shy at times, but we've seen such a boost in her confidence, her happiness. BCD made all the difference in the world to her transition. The children and parents welcomed her with open arms. The teachers and staff have done wonders to build her confidence and have helped her grow into a beautiful and thriving individual. We couldn't be more pleased with this gem of a school and would encourage any parent who wants to make a small financial sacrifice during these very important years to do so and know with confidence you're making the right choice for a lifetime.

Posted March 6, 2013

Boulder Country Day School is an amazing community, with loving teachers whose commitment to excellence and education give students the love and desire to learn and the safety of a close caring community to be themselves. I am grateful to be part of this wonderful community. I love every day at BCD!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 6, 2013

A family. This community cares about one another and does its best to create an excellent learning experience for the students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 6, 2013

the kids love it! great community of families/parents! we have great traditions and very qualified teachers!

Posted March 5, 2013

The most impressive school I have ever known. My 2 girls love going to school every day and have found a love of learning.

Posted February 15, 2013

We have 3 children at BCD and it is a fantastic independent school. The academics are strong and the community that is surrounds our children is even stronger. No school is perfect, but this school is close. We have been at the school for 4 years and plan to be there until all of our kids finish middle school. The middle school continues to grow in size, technology and community. Character development of our children is a cornerstone of BCD's fundamentals. Who doesn't want to have civic-minded, smart, caring children? And the teachers are amazing! They are passionate about what they do and love their jobs. If you are looking for a strong preschool, elementary or middle school...you should absolutely visit Boulder Country Day.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best of the West YS Private School of the Year (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Gym
  • Kitchen

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • John Suitor III
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (303) 527-4944

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Level of special education programming offered

• Improv
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2014-2015 school year
$11000 - $17000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Niwot High School