No rating

Boulder Country Day

Private | PK-8 | 318 students

We are best known for excellent faculty & curriculum.

Living in Boulder

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $285,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Sweep tile

Posted March 14, 2014

My son in in first grade at BCD. He has attended BCD since preschool and my husband and I can honestly say that his (and our) experience has been consistently outstanding. Our son has struggled with learning to read and he has consistently received support, time, energy, and care from his teachers. He started off this year at one of the lowest reading levels in his class. However, the individualized support of his teacher and the entire BCD team has helped him move to exactly where he should be. This is amazing! What warms my heart the most though, is that he does not know that he struggles. His teacher supports all of the students in his class and tailors instruction to meet each child s learning style and needs. We could not be happier with our experience. BCD teachers are amazing!

Posted March 12, 2014

I just returned from my daughter's elementary school teacher conferences. I chose BCD for their small classes, strong academics, and value of community and character. Her lead teacher is amazing! This teacher has the ability to push all levels in her classroom. It is so nice that my daughter does not have to leave the classroom to be enriched; she gets challenging work at her level right there with her peers. The BCD community makes all types of learners feel good about where they are at. No matter what level they are on, they are all valued and celebrated. The other thing they teach is self-awareness of how your actions affect others. This is no easy task in elementary school, and I was impressed when I saw my daughter's self-evaluation on her study skills and interpersonal skills. It showed me she really was developing an awarness about her own strengths and areas that still need some work. I look forward to seeing her continued growth.

Posted March 12, 2014

As a parent, I'm confused by the bad review. It has not been our family's experience. We have two students at BCD, one elementary school student and one middle school student. Our students have needed help on both ends of the spectrum this year. One is extremely bright and has been challenged at an appropriate level in the classroom, like the previous reviewer. The other has needed extra help in math. Her math teacher has provided unparelled help to support our daughter. The teacher sent us the sylabus each month with links to websites that would help our daughter prep for the topic before hand, or to use as extra help at home. She also invited our daughter to come in before school and during lunch to go over any questions she might have. We have seen our daughter's math grade go from a C in the first trimester to an A- this trimester. But best of all, our daughter no longer says she "can't do math." As for class size, our elementary schooler has 13 in her class with one lead teacher and a student teacher. Our middle schooler has only one class with 19 students and the rest are under 15. Our daughters have thrived at this school.

Posted March 12, 2014

I'm a student, and I just moved here. Nobody at this said, "Hey, look at the new kid" They were very welcoming; the frist day somebody asked me to play with them. Now, I have some great friends; it's the best school I have ever been to. GO BULLDOGS! -from a current student

Posted February 19, 2014

We've known BCD for awhile now and it's not the same school it used to be. This school has become a disappointment. The marketing message is inconsistent with how they treat their students and the quality of teaching. Don't be fooled by talk of small classes and supposed caring of each individual student. Its marketing hype and the follow through is shallow. The teachers are quite busy, often unavailable to help, and don't really seem to care. I hear a lot of talk and see very little action in terms of giving individual attention, as marketed. In fact, many teachers seem stressed and unhappy with their jobs. Perhaps it's related to changes and turnover. It's definitely not worth the cost of tuition right now. You won't find a group of engaged children. They're mostly compliant, but that's about it. It's too bad, for $15k a year, it's disappointing that the quality doesn't match the price tag. Their marketing and branding is good, just don't have high expectations for you child's education with current staff.

Posted November 3, 2013

Evolves and adapts each year. I love this school. Just when I think it's perfect, it gets better. The emphasis on character and education distinguishes BCD from other area schools. If you want your child to have a rigorous educational experience, while demanding the best from them as people, send them to BCD.

Posted September 3, 2013

I am a student at Boulder Country Day and I love the school! All the teachers are highly qualified in their fields and are always there for you if you need help or just some care and support. It is an amazing place to get a great education, make life-long friends and become part of a community that will never fail to help you. I have been to both public, and private schools and would recommend this school over any other . The small classes and individualized learning approach make it possible for for anyone to reach their full potential.

Posted July 18, 2013

I have a daughter in the Middle School at Boulder Country Day. She has thrived there since Pre-K. The class size, teachers and the ability to get involved and really be a part of the community are what she likes best. The faculty and staff know the kids and are always there for them before, during and after school. This is a place where the kids are challenged and can reach their potential everyday. The Middle School exploratory classes that the kids get two times a day let them experience new areas of interest like photography, drama, art, yoga, sports, technology, etc. With regard to the core classes, Math, Science, Language, History and English I have no doubt that when she graduates she will be prepared for her high school years. Last year the school added STEM to the curriculum. My daughter loved it and cannot wait for what she will do in STEM next year. As a parent, at this school for the last 9 years, I have seen this school grow and change in so many positive ways especially in technology and the arts. Lastly, I cannot say enough about the faculty at this school and their level of education, experience, commitment and knowledge of their subjects.

Posted March 17, 2013

We have had both of our kids at BCD since we moved from the Bay Area. The academics at this school are more advanced than our school in California and the teachers are very on top of how the kids are doing and communicate well with the parents. Our kids are also very happy with the school and are excited to go to school every day.

Posted March 7, 2013

My family moved to Colorado in 2011 when our only daughter was entering 6th grade, a very difficult age for many, especially entering into a school with children who have known one another for some time. Our daughter can be an introvert, rather shy at times, but we've seen such a boost in her confidence, her happiness. BCD made all the difference in the world to her transition. The children and parents welcomed her with open arms. The teachers and staff have done wonders to build her confidence and have helped her grow into a beautiful and thriving individual. We couldn't be more pleased with this gem of a school and would encourage any parent who wants to make a small financial sacrifice during these very important years to do so and know with confidence you're making the right choice for a lifetime.

Posted March 6, 2013

Boulder Country Day School is an amazing community, with loving teachers whose commitment to excellence and education give students the love and desire to learn and the safety of a close caring community to be themselves. I am grateful to be part of this wonderful community. I love every day at BCD!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 6, 2013

A family. This community cares about one another and does its best to create an excellent learning experience for the students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 6, 2013

the kids love it! great community of families/parents! we have great traditions and very qualified teachers!

Posted March 5, 2013

The most impressive school I have ever known. My 2 girls love going to school every day and have found a love of learning.

Posted February 15, 2013

We have 3 children at BCD and it is a fantastic independent school. The academics are strong and the community that is surrounds our children is even stronger. No school is perfect, but this school is close. We have been at the school for 4 years and plan to be there until all of our kids finish middle school. The middle school continues to grow in size, technology and community. Character development of our children is a cornerstone of BCD's fundamentals. Who doesn't want to have civic-minded, smart, caring children? And the teachers are amazing! They are passionate about what they do and love their jobs. If you are looking for a strong preschool, elementary or middle school...you should absolutely visit Boulder Country Day.

Posted February 10, 2013

I was a student at BCD for 8 years, when I transferred out. The entire time that you are at the school, you are told how advance and smart you are and how easy high school will be. In truth the school, especially the middle school, is overrated. There is no preparation given to students as far as going into an IB program in High School even though it is an IB middle school. The language department is the worst. I took French at the school since I was in kindergarten and when I transferred to a BVSD public middle school, I was behind students who had started the language the year before. The history department is a year behind all other school, and so is the english department. The parents and the fact that you are in an unsocial bubble are a whole other battle. Now that I am a senior, I look back and I am so happy that I got out of the school when I did. When I got to high school, I was in such a better place than the kids who had stayed at the school, because honestly almost every kid ends up at the same high school. Don't listen to the hype of this school when there are much better public school options.

Posted February 7, 2013

My son is at BCD and we all LOVE it! He is a gifted student, and we looked at many options before choosing BCD, and wow, did we make the right choice! BCD understands both the academic and the social needs of gifted kids. Other schools wanted to put him in a class with older students (which would not have worked for him socially), BCD has him in a class with his peers, but they make sure he is learning at his level. The very low student to teacher ratio means that he gets individual attention during regular class time so he can move forward at a pace that works for him. Further, the additional resources at BCD mean that he gets extra attention in math and reading. On a social level, the kids are not taught to compete with each other - instead, they learn to accept each other as they are. There is no judgment attached to being different - so the kids don't pigeon hole each other (the "smart" kid, the "slower" kid - you hear nothing like that at BCD), they just accept the differences among them as things that make them all unique. BCD also teaches him to come out of his shell - he has made great friends, and LOVES going to school. BCD knows gifted. We are so lucky to be there.

Posted February 6, 2013

My children attend BCD and I couldn t be happier. The academic and character education have been amazing. My boys are both challenged and supported and have been able to grow and develop in an environment that is nurturing. I m most excited about Boulder Country Day s plans to implement a 1:1 program next year. To see our children using state of the art technology in the classroom and learning not only the tools but organizational and time management skills that are enhanced by technology, will be a dream. BCD is an amazing place

Posted September 19, 2012

I am a parent of a middle school student at BCD and my son has loved the transition from elementary to MS. He is enjoying the independence and responsibility of changing classes as well as the variety of exploratory classes to choose from. One of his favorite classes thus far is STEM - integration of science, technology, engineering and math. He was so excited to go to school today to make his STEM presentation on Malaria!

Posted September 17, 2012

I'd like to see more reviews from middle school students. Other kid 's reviews usually determine if a middle schooler would be happy and feel challenged and respected as an individual. please don't go on about being prepared for high school but how you feel as an individual in the school. When I toured the middle school kids seemed unusually quiet. We are perspective parents.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 3% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best of the West YS Private School of the Year (2009)

Special education / special needs

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mike Shields
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Niwot High School