American Academy

Charter | K-8 | 820 students

Posted May 25, 2010

we are very pleased with the high quality of the academics my children are receving. The teachers and the staff are very professional and knowledgeable. The STEM program is one of the best in the nation. This is the kind of education our children need in order to compete with the rest of the world.

Posted May 10, 2010

The school year has been wonderful in every aspect. The front office does an amazing job. I am very pleased with the staff and administration!

Posted May 7, 2010

The academic curriculum and the teachers are good, but the administration and the front office is extremely rude and does not address the issues and concerns of the parents.

Posted May 5, 2010

This is our first year at American Academy and we have nothing but positive things to say. To me, the highlights are definitely the the Core Knowledge curriculum, the ability grouping and the uniforms. In my opinion, these three components set the stage for a successful education. Our son has enjoyed the entire year, from Math, Science, Social Studies, and Reading down to PE, Music and Art. We're thrilled with what he is learning, how he's being taught and the environment in which this is all happening. We've also enjoyed the opportunity to attend a special after-school Spanish class. As with most things, you get out of it what you put into it. We couldn't be more happy here.

Posted April 26, 2010

I am so thrilled with this school! Our kids do athletics in the surrounding community, so I'm mostly concerned that the school my children attend has a focus on, heaven forbid, academics. Whatever else they deal with on a daily basis, the first priority of AA's administration is obviously the academic success of their students. Kids are tested regularly and the teachers are held to those results. And they use those results to tweak the curriculum and staff. What a concept! My they are average students at AA. Sometimes there's a lot of homework. But they are thriving and happy and learning amazing things every single day at this school. I wish I could go back and attend this school! I couldn't be more enthusiastic in my recommendation.

Posted March 15, 2010

Amerian Academy has been an exceptional school for my two kids. We started at AA 3 years ago. We are so impressed with the curriculum, the teachers and the staff. We particulary like the fact that character education is emphasized. I have never seen a group of kids act with such respect towards others and property. This is a school that is on the cutting edge and so needed in today's world. I would recommend this school very highly.

Posted March 3, 2010

First and foremost, the charter school option is a self selecting option. If you do not like the option, seek a better option. If you like the option, congratulations you've found it. We sought and found a school that is Core Knowledge and STEM focused. What we got was more as this administration, faculty and student body is fully ENGAGED in all aspects. Wonderful school. If I have to raise funds to keep it running then so be it. I sought it out. If I did not want that for my child then I would've put them in the regular mill. Remember: Options, Choices and Consequences. Good, bad and ugly, its all relevant to your perception.

Posted February 26, 2010

We are a brand new family at American Academy and we are thrilled with the success our daughter has had. The ability grouping is such a great system and we can't say enough about the teachers. The STEM weeks are incredible, the information the kids come home with is so encouraging. Her class size is small - 23 kids compared to 28 or 29 at some of the other schools in the district. The new building is beautiful and the teachers and front office staff have been so helpful, friendly and supportive to our family. We are so happy with the education our daughter is receiving and have absolutely no regrets about choosing American Academy.

Posted February 24, 2010

This is not the school we signed up for four years ago. Small class sizes are no more with the building of the new facility. The highly qualified principal was let go for no reason, and the founding parent of the school is now in charge! This leader is not qualified and has never taught a day in the classroom and stands to get the $90K job for next year. Teachers make some of the lowest salaries going and everyone is told how we need to raise funds, but they need to pay attention to where the money is really going. Children are nothing more than revenue to AA. If you aren't outraged...you aren't paying attention.

Posted October 26, 2009

We just moved to American Academy this year (2009). We previously attended a charter school and so we understood the volunteer requirements, uniforms, board situations, etc. Charter Schools do not follow the same game plan as a public district run school. Some are run using a business type structure, some mimic private schools, and others follow your average public school setup. Research and know the difference then determine what is best for your family. My oldest son is advanced in most subjects but really needs help with Math. American Academy definitely can and is providing that structure for him through their ability grouping. My other son is advancing far beyond what I could have. Teachers are responsive and want their students to thrive. With the new building the extra cirricular activities are there. Overall this has been a great experience for us.

Posted June 30, 2009

This is the perfect school for US, my kids and my family. As with any school the right fit is the key to success. It may not be for everyone especially busy parents without time to be 'hands on' with their childs' education. A ton of parental involvement is expected and I grow weary of all the complainers, seriously are you more interested in what is going on with staff kids than your own? I am not a staff person, just a parent that feels this is the best place for my kids. The scores don't lie and watching my kids excel and remain challenged keeps me thrilled! It's not for everyone or for every kid, parents partner with your kids and decide if it's right for you and your kids.

Posted June 29, 2009

This is a schoool that is either loved or hated by the kids and parents. There are some really wonderful teachers at this school that my kids dearly loved and learned a lot from. Unfortunately the bad apples ruin the bunch. The principle does as little as possible, in the hopes of avoiding confrontation, to address numerous parental concerns. Nor does she have a grasp on what is happening in the classrooms and the extreme variences of expectations between grades and teachers within the same grade. Again, despite numerous complaints from concerned parents. On top of a very academically rigorous day the kids are sent home with large amounts of homework (far beyond district standards) leaving little time for downtime and after school activities. The kids and teachers are beyond burnt out by the end of the school year. I don't feel that this school supports a well rounded student.

Posted March 7, 2009

This is an amazing school! The kids are held to high standards of behavior & accountability. The teachers obviously love these kids and are enthusiastic. It's also amazing to me how flexible they are in meeting the needs of each child academically. They are continuously re-assessing these kids. We have attended several private and public schools and there is nothing better than American Academy. There are some things that are lacking, like foreign language, but you can only fit so much work into a day without stressing young children out. The specials teachers take very seriously their music, art and PE, which is outstanding. They're not 'soft' classess by no means. I'm thrilled that my children will be there through 8th grade.

Posted January 6, 2009

American Academy simply stated, raises the bar. Expectations of students have deteriorated - which is evident in how the US ranks among other countries when it comes to education. American Academy has set out to remedy that for students and parents who are willing to give what it takes to uphold rigorous academic and behavioral standards. American Academy will not meet the needs of coddling parents, however, it is a school that will produce tremendous leaders of the future. Wait and see.... - Proud, Pleased Parent

Posted August 5, 2008

This is a wonderful school. The education my kids are getting is far superior to the public schools in our area. Expectations are so high. Would not have my kids anywhere else.

Posted March 28, 2008

This is an amazing school! The curriculum is challenging, the teachers fantastic. My daughter has been there for 2 years and we're transferring our other grade school child there next year! I spend quite some time at the school volunteering and the children are respectful and kind. AA expects high standards and I admire that. Sure, it's a new school, but there are always growing pains with something new. Considering there are 500+ kids in a temporary strip mall it's fantastic! We love the school! It's not the building that counts, but what's inside. We are thrilled that the school goes through 8th grade and we couldn't be happier to be there.

Posted December 1, 2007

We love the school, the CK curriculum and the structured environment. Our three girls love their teachers and the school. It is amazing at what they learn. The staff is wonderful. What more could we say? It works for us. Simply the BEST!

Posted September 29, 2007

I am amazed at what my kids are learning at American Academy. The education they are receiving is far above where they were before coming to this school. This is an academically challenging school and I couldn't be happier with the curriculam, the teachers or the administration.

Posted September 20, 2007

We are thrilled with the school. I will admit that it was an adjustment coming from a school where my children were never challenged. Now they are thriving and loving everything about it. Of course they can't wait for the new facility with a 'real' playground but they are still having fun and staying active. I am certain that my children will be prepared for highschool and beyond now. They are learning to take notes and tests and they are actually learning to write! I never saw an effort to teach writing in thier old school. In addition the Core knowledge curriculum allows a deeper exposure to science and history before Jr. High. The 4th graders are about to dissect a animals heart while they are learning about cardiology! There are high expectations of the children in this school and they really rise to meet the challenges set in front of them.

Posted May 29, 2007

You couldn't pay us to take our kids out of AACP. Yes, the Admin could use some work, but so could any organization in the world - academic or not. Yes, there are issues with the playground, but we all went in knowing that the current campus was temporary. Wait till the new school is built in Fall 2008! The academics are very challenging; The parent community is very passionate about the lives of their kids - which is part of why this school is so great. The school is new and always evolving. CSAPs don't lie, nor does the 700+ person waiting list.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

White (not Hispanic)91%

Students without disabilities91%
Proficient in English90%
Neither migrant nor immigrant90%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 2%N/A41%
Male 48%N/A51%
Female 52%N/A49%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Erin Kane
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Fax number
  • (720) 733-2641

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge