Posted May 05, 2015
South Ridge has been a fantastic experience for my son. He only was able to attend for 2 years but, he has made far more progress in his academics compared to past schools. Great students and wonderful staff. Thank you South Ridge.

Posted April 30, 2014
I have 2 kids going to SR now, my oldest is in 3rd grade n my youngest is in half day K. Both of my kids absoultly love their school n their teachers. I am very happy w not only the teachers, but the office staff is great too. I believe that if your family lives in this area, then SR is going to the best school for you children to attend.

Posted November 19, 2013
I am a dad of a thrid grader at South. I'm not a teacher, I don't know much about how this whole nonsense about testing works and I certainly don't claim to understand the fight between the union and the school board. I honestly don't care about that. What I care about is my son and the education he recieves and whether or not he's happy. Here's what I know: I see a happy kid running into school every day. I see the crossing guards and the principal and the teachers and the secretaries all great him by name. I hear him talk about the kids at school and rarely do I hear anything negative. I know my kid is happy and I know that the teachers he has had to date have worked hard with him and every other kid to be sure they get what they need. When I walk into the school for a conference or just to pay the lunch acccount, I'm greeted by friendly people who may not know my name, but they know my son, and honestly, that's what I care about. This is a great school and I can't think of one single reason for anyone to not try it. You will be amazed at the caring that goes on.

Posted November 18, 2013
My son has been at South Ridge for 4 years now and he LOVES it! I've had nothing but a great experience with South, despite many of it's negative reviews. My son was identified early as an advanced learner and the teachers have done everything within their power to challenge him. My e-mails are always answered promptly by whomever I've contacted, whether that be administrator or teacher. If they can't answer my questions, they've referred me on very quickly and I've always gotten the answer. They truly do their best and they really never get the kudos they deserve. You must try this school and you must ignore the blah-blah-blah about test scores. The kids RUN to school because they're so happy to go. They run out happy, talking and playing with one another regardless of age. Really, I love this school and respect all they do for kids.

Posted May 10, 2013
The submission regarding fighting on the playground is completely absurd. I drive by the school a few times each day and I have never seen anything other than play from the students. I have been volunteering on a regular basis at the school for 4 years and have yet to see any arguments let alone fights at the school. There is ALWAYS at least two teacher's aides and usually a teacher on the playground with their class. The teachers are engaging, caring and passionate about their students. I have always been greeted by the office staff when entering the school and Dena (the principal) is visible in the school, not hiding in her office. Technology is used in every classroom and both of my children love going to school there. I wouldn't go anywhere else in Castle Rock, with the IB program, the diversity of the student population and the dedication of the teachers it's not a hard decision.

Posted May 08, 2013
I have been a parent at SR for 5+ years and am VERY active in the school PTCO. I spend a ton of time volunteering at SR and have gotten to know the inner-workings of this school with a unique perspective. The review below is shocking to me. I know that the aids are on the playground the entire time, supervising the kiddos with little tolerance for bad behavior. The Principal, Dena, has always attended to any concerns I've had, so I question the merit of the story featured below mine. I've never EVER seen an out-of-control scenario where there is violent behavior & no supervision at SR, so I urge you to take that story with a grain of salt! Getting to know the folks who run South Ridge, I truly can say nothing but good things. They are the most caring & attentive & treat my child, who has learning disabilities, with respect and an understanding of his learning differences. They allow him to show his knowledge in the way he knows how and that really helps boost his self-esteem. We don't all learn in the same way and I've been impressed continually of how this school recognizes that fact & encourages their students to shine in the way they know how. This truly is a great school!

Posted May 08, 2013
I am an employee with the school district and actually pulled my children from a magnet school mid-year and selected to re enroll them at South Ridge. Every school has it's challenges, but I really grew to appreciate what South Ridge had to offer. There is an extremely knowledgable and dedicated teaching staff. The interest that teachers took in getting to know my children and understanding their learning profiles was more than I could have hoped for. Both kids were kept engaged in the learning process and participated in school functions voluntarily. Considering neither is academically oriented, I could only credit the teachers for inspiring them to become involved. I also liked the diversity of the school. I think it a rare opportunity in a place like Douglas County for children to learn and understand that there are people of all different socioeconomic backgrounds and ethnicities. That there is not just one way to solve a problem and not just one "right" way to do things. My children will graduate from S R with a greater tolerance and understanding of individual differences. This is an invaluable lesson to learn and perhaps unique to South Ridge.

South Ridge Elementary An Ib World School 4

Posted May 08, 2013
My children attend South Ridge and I am very pleased. They identified in Kindergarten that my daughter needed help with reading. They have provided one on one tutoring everyday in 1st and 2nd grade with a literary specialist. I have even hired the teacher to come and tutor at my house. The staff is kind, polite and caring. I believe the supervision at school is outstanding. The PTCO is great and very involved in school, even earning enough money for a brand new playground! I believe my children get a true education at South Ridge due to the diversity of all the children that attend. It is not a new and shinny school, but that is not what makes a school good, it is the teachers and staff and South Ridge has amazing ones!

Posted May 08, 2013
We have three children that have attended South Ridge. My oldest is now in sixth grade. We have been very impressed with their overall elementary experience. We have enjoyed excellent teachers and a great administration. I love the international focus of the IB curriculum it really engages students and teaches them that we live in a global economy and about cultures beyond their front door. It has been a very warm and caring environment for my children. I like the diversity at the school as it is more representative of the broader population and enables students to learn critical social skills that will benefit them their entire lives. We are strong advocates of South Ridge Elementary!

South Ridge Elementary An Ib World School 1

Posted February 15, 2013
I stopped by mid day to drop off something for my son. I was devastated when I saw what was happening at recess. I saw several children fighting in the kindergarten class, literally punching each other, kicking, pushing each other down on the ground. As much as I yelled over the chain link fence for them to stop punching a boy, no one stopped. The only thing that ended it was the fact that the bell rang. I ran inside and notified the staff, and my husband called the police. When I went back out, literally minutes later, the next class, 1st and 2nd graders were fighting even worse in the back corner of the field. In BOTH instances, there were NO TEACHERS, and NO SUPERVISION. The kids again, kicking, punching, one kid was sitting on another child's chest, his arms pinned down by his sides. He was in a head lock with someones arm across his neck, and the being punched in the back of the head. I was screaming and pleading with the children to stop. I tried scaling the fence. It was out of control. More or less when I demanded a meeting with the principal, she completely down played it, saying she didn't see anyone hurt, and no one admitted to it. I am withdrawing my son.

South Ridge Elementary An Ib World School
1100 South St, Castle Rock, CO  80104
Last modified South Ridge Elementary An Ib World School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Ridge Elementary An Ib World School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top