Public charter
Colorado Springs, CO
After care: No

Posted December 12, 2014
This is intended for those SEEKING employment here. The admin seems great until you actually work for them. You will receive little support and be subjected to intense securitization (esp. females). Little/no curriculum, old texts, and admin with little experience make working here frustrating. You will be expected to teach subjects you are not qualified to teach. Students only receive a 30 min break and you will receive little support when students act out. Your salary will be between $1700-$1800. Health insurance will cost you around $500 if you have a family. Maternity leave is not covered. Parent activity is not encouraged, so you will be expected to chaperone everything (i.e. camping trip) aka "mandatory fun". HighTrust training is mandatory. This is a torturous event where a self-proclaimed psych "guru" with an agriculture degree subjects you to training. The school pays him an exorbitant amount (that it doesn't have) bc the principal is his biggest fan. Heavy Christian undertones that aren't appropriate in a public school, nepotism, and double standards make working here undesirable. If you don't think these things are true you ought to have language to refute them.
57 people found this helpful

Posted December 11, 2014
I love working at James Irwin. The focus is on students, where it should be. I could make more money teaching somewhere else, but I cannot seem to put a price tag on respectful students, a culture of high academic and behavioral expectations, dedicated co-workers and leadership, more professional development than I received in all my years of college and working at other schools combined, and did I mention wonderful students? The leadership and teachers are not overly obsessed with test scores, yet we do very well on them because we continue to hold standards high for students. I enjoy supporting and getting to know students through extra-curricular activities such as our all-school retreat, concerts, dances, and sports events. I've never worked with so many teachers who genuinely enjoy working with teens. Many alumni and spouses of alumni have chosen to return here. Many families choose James Irwin for all of their children from elementary through high school.
20 people found this helpful

Posted September 15, 2014
I have loved having my children at JICHS. My daughter attended all 4 years and graduated, set up well for college and beyond. I also look forward to the coming for years as now my youngest is attending. She was absent from school due to a bug and the teaching staff got back to me in a timely manner and supported her while she got assignments completed and turned in. The administrative staff has also helped with both of my children, making sure that they received all of the help they needed, my son who attended a different high school in a different district, didn't have the same level of support.
30 people found this helpful

Posted August 03, 2014
The teachers give the students very little individual attention and they don't teach you everything you need to know for your homework. The teachers favor certain students that kiss up to them (teachers pet). The lunches make kids puke and is very bad quality. their heaters inside do not work good enough during the winter. The uniforms are very ugly, we look like little cars sells men.
8 people found this helpful

James Irwin Charter High School 4

Posted April 15, 2014
James Irwin Charter High School is a college prep school. I didn't appreciate this fact until this, my son's senior year. He scored wonderfully on his ACT's and SAT's. He was accepted to all four of the universities that he applied to. The school supports each students' dreams and ambitions through rigorous school work and teacher support. The dress code is business casual which is really no big deal to the kids now. They still can express themselves in appropriate ways. Congrats son and JICHS ... another success story.
27 people found this helpful

Posted April 10, 2014
My school is James Irwin Charter High School. My son graduated from this school and my daughter will be there next. It is a great academic school that allowed my son to be challenged compared to the regular public school. This communication the teachers have with their students awesome. The offers sports and other activities. I am looking forward to my daughter attending next year.
27 people found this helpful

Posted February 26, 2014
Not a good school. All kids are required to take a character and ethics class, but it all ends there. Very little respect, poor leadership, teachers don't stay/last long, and test scores are dropping each year. There are plenty of better choices out there.
7 people found this helpful

James Irwin Charter High School 3

Posted September 14, 2013
This school is great academically IF you don't mind a strict dress code, strict dress-code enforcing teachers, the fact that it is Christian-based, and strict teachers in general. I am now a senior (moved here last year) and it's alright. I like the fact that they really do try their best to help you succeed. I don't really like the dress code, which has gotten crazy since last year. I don't really like or care for the other students, especially the other seniors, they're very annoying. Coming from a public school in Hawaii, this school is very different. But I guess it depends on the person, a lot of other people actually like this school. Go to Sierra instead, your life would be a lot less miserable.
8 people found this helpful

James Irwin Charter High School 3

Posted September 02, 2013
This school is good for your kids if they fit in "the box". Beware if they are struggling in any subject. The teachers don't know what to do because a lot of them are new/young teachers and don't know how to help the students who are struggling. My child started at the elementary school and I never imagined leaving this school but we did. We put up with the overbearing principal and vice principal at the elementary school. We put up with all of the strictness of all the schools. We saw this as a good school with high character. When we started having academic trouble with my student, we called numerous times to speak to the principal and another teacher and NEVER heard anything back from them. If you jump through all of their hoops that are asked of you and don't ask for anything else, then everything will go well. As long as you go along and do everything that is asked of you it's great. It's when you need to stand up for your child then they are "too busy" to deal with you. Very disappointed.
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 08, 2013
This school iss just the best thing that happened to Colorado Springs in a long time. Although limited with factors like money/funds it makes the most out of what it has. I have had the best school years while my time in this school.
6 people found this helpful

James Irwin Charter High School
5525 Astrozon Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO  80916
Last modified James Irwin Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Irwin Charter High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top