Public charter
Denver, CO
Before care: Yes

Denver Language School 1

Posted December 28, 2014
Underwhelming! Third grade English teacher is a previous secretary at the school that got promoted to being an English teacher without any prior schooling in education or English. She told our daughter's class she was too busy with her child and laundry that she couldn't correct spelling tests for a week. New principal has a history of not staying with a school for more than a couple years and has been fired as principal. Chinese teacher gave me the results of my child's STAR test. I asked what the test was about and the teacher said she had no idea. You may think this is a great school, but that's if your expectations are low and you've never attended somewhere great. Keeping my fingers crossed that a better Mandarin immersion school comes into town.

Posted December 11, 2014
Wow...giving dls a one star, that's completely unfair and inaccurate. Dls has provided my child now in 6th grade with an outstanding education and it still does. The new math teacher is doing a great job and has strengthened, not weakened the program. I'm not sure what other parents are so "livid" about. The 5th and 6th grade share teachers and are considered part of the middle school. Teachers are great and truly care. My child is happy with school resources, activities and absolutely loves learning a third language this year. The principal is working hard trying to communicate to parents all the changes and improvements in the program. Unfortunately parents are not showing up to the latest informational meetings and are making wrong assumptions. We will definitely stay and enjoy everything that this wonderful school has to offer.

Denver Language School 1

Posted December 03, 2014
K-5 is running smoothly, but the middle school is a train wreck. This year is the first year for the middle school with two 6th grade classes and they just weren't ready for it. It's just like another year of elementary school. There are 600 kids at the school, but only about 30 in middle school. All the middle school teachers also work in the K-5 program and they teach accordingly. One teacher has been using the same material for 6th grade as for her 5th grade class. Math has been weakened by staff changes (we find out soon if the 6th grade will have their 3rd math teacher for this year or if they will stick with the 2nd one). Science is currently being "taught" by an English lit graduate. My child in 6th grade gets less homework than my child grades below does. There are no after-school programs aimed at the middle school. There's widespread worry that the school is not focused on preparing students to go to high school. Parents of 6th grade kids are livid. Some (like us) are using outside tutoring to compensate for the lack of rigor. The school is finally now trying to respond, but I'm certain that many 6th grade parents will enter the school choice lottery... just in case.

Denver Language School 4

Posted October 21, 2014
All teachers in this particular school must be "highly qualified." The teachers at Denver Language School are required to take and pass the Praxis II exam. When the school first started not all teachers had taken and passed this exam. Teachers who did not pass the exam by summer of 2012 were not retained. As a parent of a student with extreme emotional needs I know that students with social-psychological issues receive a ton of support. But it's up to us parents to ensure that our students are ready for school, capable of abiding by school rules and receiving what other help they need outside of school. We are also responsible for making those decisions best for our students which at times may involve waiting a year to start school (red-shirting), taking time off school or even changing to schools which offer a deeper level of emotional support. I myself may have my child attend an HGT program but only because that's what's best for this particular child and is not reflection on the school. My child's teacher differentiates as best as possible but a several-year span on abilities is difficult for any school to achieve in a single classroom.

Denver Language School 2

Posted October 20, 2014
DLS is very good at teaching Math and language and they have an amazing art and gym teacher. For students who learn well in teacher centered classrooms DLS is a good option. There are a lot of wonderful supportive families in this community. DLS has a long way to go to develop a philosophy and a practice of teaching the whole child and of creating a caring warm culture. There is a lot of bullying and shaming that happens at DLS from both students and teachers, which has plagued the school since it opened. Very few of the Mandarin teachers (I can't speak for the Spanish program) are licensed educators so they lack the skills or the knowledge to respond to the social emotional needs of kids. There is a new principal who is very good, but she has a difficult job reforming the culture of the school and teaching teachers about good quality instructional practices. If you have a child who is emotionally fragile or has any learning or behavior difficulties this is probably not a good fit. The new leadership team, may be able to create a school that is about more than just teaching language, but it is going to take several years.

Posted September 09, 2014
We are a new family to Denver Language School. So far we are really impressed. We have had our children in language immersion at an area private school before getting into DLS, and I can say that we are so impressed with the school, the management, the curriculum, the support services, the wonderful cohort of students and parents, and the safe and exciting atmosphere of the school. Most importantly, my kids love it. They are so happy with the switch. We look forward to seeing how the school year unfolds. For parents considering language immersion as an option for elementary or middle school, it's totally worthwhile to check out DLS. No need to pay for a private school tuition if you are able to get into DLS. The faculty are well-trained and have their acts together. The communication between the administration, principles and parents has so far been awesome, and the after school activities and fun clubs are nearly identical private school we were attending before. The PTA is supportive and also very communicative. DLS has a lot going on, and it's a breath of fresh air to see it all. I am very pleased and thankful that we found a place there.

Posted June 22, 2014
Great school. Solid academics and wonderful teachers. They have a new principal who seems extremely qualified.

Denver Language School 2

Posted May 31, 2014
What a joke! Can't keep a Principal for their life and now another one, GREAT! Ran as fast as I could- Lasted one year and in Feb. found out that my sons Chinese teacher isn't even CERTIFIED! Yikes- Good luck. The reason this schools gets the rating it does is because of the demographics of the school, no culture just plain white bread.

Posted February 26, 2014
Where to start... I absolutely love the concept, vision and curriculum of DLS. Teachers care, kids are learning and thriving in both languages. Parents are a little too much involved...everyone with their opinion on how things should run. Unfortunately I think that takes time and effort away from the admin to focus on more important things. I feel admin is always too busy dealing with parents, never see them in the classrooms with the kids. But the school is amazing, the teachers are great and we are very happy that we chose Dls for our kids.

Posted December 11, 2013
Some parents freak out about this school because it is academically rigorous, focused and "not what they experienced growing up." But, once I got over the unfamiliarity of my children learning in a foreign language, I could see what's so wonderful about this school. I am so impressed with everything my children are learning; and I have every confidence that our early investment in immersion will pay enormous dividends in cultural appreciation and academic prowess down the road. I only wish there could be more schools like DLS.

Denver Language School
451 Newport St, Denver, CO  80220
Last modified Denver Language School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Denver Language School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top