Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My daughter's experience has been varied. She has had two teachers who seem learning disabled and know almost nothing about their fields. She has other teachers who are experts in their fields and excited to teach. Her experience with other students has been equally varied. The administration/classroom teacher, for whatever reason, does not remove disruptive students from class; and chaos reigns in the lower-level classes. My daughter had a special situation coming into East and received different advice about required courses from each of the three counselors with whom she spoke. The administration downtown had yet a different idea which was nearly a huge problem until the downtown people agreed to go with what one of the counselors had instructed my daughter to do for her courses. Sixty percent of the student body does not live in the district; they've "choiced" in. This has created a very overcrowded school with students barely able to change classes on time and with little leeway for schedule changes if there's a problem with a schedule at the beginning of the semester.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The freshman geography teacher and sophomore English teacher have no business in front of a class. They are nice people who have no idea what they're talking about. The other teachers do not attempt to maintain discipline.

If your kid get bullied or threatened at East, don't expect the school to do anything. My son was threatened by a school mate along with 2 other students. The school told us to report to the police because it happened outside campus. They knew who threatened my son but they didn't care. The way the dean and assistant principal handled this issue was terrible. They even lied about things they didn't do. Since we were nobody, of course they didn't care. No way my son is going back to East. No wonder school violence and bullying are so bad.

They are very rude at east high school. They don't introduce you to anyone there or even show you around the school. How are you supposed to know where to find you're child if something bad happens when you as the parent don't know even know where to find you're child or who they may be with. Also the education system in Denver Colorado just sucks completely. Denver is not a big supporter of children with autism or any other kind of problems that children may have.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Very effective if they try. Very very ineffective in very few cases -- and these need to be managed out, but often aren't. Isn't that true of all public schools with unions?

Amount of homework: Agree

I certainly wouldn't add more homework for the sake of homework. Does any school need to assign as much as it does? Probably not...

East is an uncommon school in Denver for its diversity, opportunity, and student-directed programs. There is lots for kids to take advantage of here, but your student has to ask for it, raise their hand, participate. Otherwise, possible to get lost.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are so much better than alternative school teachers they really do give you fun projects to be creative. That is what I miss the most about normal school.

Amount of homework: Agree

I really looooovvvveee how much work they give you it makes me miss being somebody. It sucks being at an alternative school and I miss getting my classwork from here

East High School held some of the best experiences of my life. I moved to Denver from Winter Park CO when I was going into my freshman year. It was extremely difficult moving from a high school with 400 students total to a high school of 2200 students, but I wouldn't change a THING. Being heavily involved in music, both the choir teacher and the band teacher were, and STILL are top of the line musicians as well as fantastic teachers. Although I didn't have the best test scores and I wasn't valedictorian, my education at East landed me at a BIG10 school in of the best music schools in the country where I am still continuing to study music. My point being, at East High School you can be, do, and accomplish anything you want. The teachers will be right by your side cheering you on as long as you put in the work. I found my passion at this high school, not to mention a ton of other friends who had so many different passions. If you are lucky enough to send your child to this school, I promise it is an amazing choice. I still return to the fourth floor every now and then to witness the unforgettable view of the city.

Last modified East High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.