Hamilton Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 860 students

Our school is best known for its top-performing status in DPS.

Sweep tile

Posted February 14, 2014

I have had 2 of my daughters go to this school, and the social and academic atmosphere at this school is great! My children have lots of nice and smart friends and if my child needs help, they get full time one on one attention. I love this school!

Posted February 1, 2014

My school is phenomenal with our new Principal Dawkins. I am an eighth grader in the IPM Program with a 4.0 GPA and have been through all the ups and downs of Hamilton, but with our new staff everyone can feel safe and learn in this new environment. The 8th grade class here is actually the best in DPS! Orchestra, band, singing, acting and all the other after school departments are truly amazing and I couldn't be more proud. The security, while strict, is great now because these kids need to be put back in their place and the PEAK teachers actually try on the kids unlike the last ones that openly told their student that they were stupid and could never live up to the IPM students. I swear while I can't speak for PEAK there is no bullying at all here, there are cliques of course but each clique basically accepts the other and leaves eachother alone like a little biosphere haha. I strongly recommend enrolling your children to this great school, and I guarantee that the '6' rating will soon be raised to an '8' or even a '9'! This school has great potential, just you wait. Go Huskies!

Posted January 17, 2014

My son, now an 8th grader in the PEAK (formerly TAP) program at Hamilton has some significant learning issues. He has pronounced attentional deficits as well as a disability of working memory plus some language processing issues. He has a high intellectual capacity, which helps him compensate for his disabilities, and so is able to struggle along. He is not a behavior problem. Still, he is a complicated student, and, given his shy nature, he would be easy to overlook in a full classroom. My hat is off to the teachers of Hamilton. Since 6th grade, they have taken the time necessary to work with him and to meet with me and his father to see that his academic needs are met. These teachers are truly dedicated, and I want to thank them. (Especially the 6th grade team who helped him transition to middle school so well.) You all are my heros.

Posted January 6, 2014

I went through the Hamilton IPM program for all three years and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I have made many friends and gotten a 4.0 GPA. I couldn't speak for PEAK (TAP) students but I think that the academics are very good. Also, since the old principal, (Ms. Gutierrez) has been replaced by Mr. Dawkins, Hamilton is improving every day. Although I have disliked a few teachers, overall the teachers were engaged and supportive, if I had a problem they would help me out. Hamilton has properly prepared me for high school.

Posted December 11, 2013

Hamilton middle school is providing my 7th grader with the foundational knowledge to succeed in high school, but more importantly, my daughter is happy. She continuously comes home enthused with stories about the teachers, assignments, or activities from the day that inform me of the quality instruction taking place inside of Hamilton Middle School.

Posted December 10, 2013

We have been involved with the school for 5 years and my children have always felt safe to go to school and in general like going to school every day. New administration has been working hard to improve the school's internal environment - successful so far. The IPM Program has also proved to be a good fit.

Posted December 10, 2013

I've had two kids in this school. The first one I pulled, because I felt that the old principal was more interested in shielding the IPM teachers from actually having to communicate with me (website? what's a website?) than she was in helping my son succeed. I was not so happy when my daughter decided on HMS, but I have to say that this school is testament to the fact that things can change. Because I could, from a work standpoint, I decided to spend more time there, just to be sure that things were good enough for my daughter to be there. They have definitely turned around. One suggestion I would make to people at any school who are unhappy about something is to put your physical presence in the school-- volunteer and get involved. I believe that the school is changing, but the parents are unaware of how they can help.

Posted December 9, 2013

When I read the positive posts regarding this school I have to wonder if there is another Hamilton Middle School somewhere that is a great school. My daughter has attended Hamilton for 6th grade IPM and is currently in 7th grade IPM, I am working to choice her out of there. The reports that DPS publish every year grading each school tell the whole story. When it comes to Hamilton parent satisfaction gets an F every year. The teachers refuse to engage with students that are having trouble, which is really the primary purpose for a teacher. There are behavior issues at the school that often require the Denver Police Department to be involved. You can't ever talk to anyone in the administration because they're always too busy. I really can't think of a positive comment regarding this school. If you are looking for a middle school for your child I would encourage that you look elsewhere. I was warned by several parents a year and a half ago and I ignored them, I wish I hadn't.

Posted December 9, 2013

My daughter went here for 6th & 7th grade ipm. Besides never getting email replies from her teachers, we also never received follow up when trying to set up meetings to discuss her grades. We pulled her out of Hamilton for 8th grade & now she is excelling at her current middle school. Overall, the teachers and staff do not care about your student at Hamilton & I really wish I would have removed her from that school much sooner.

Posted October 30, 2013

I'm very happy with all the new positive changes taking place at Hamilton. The new principle is doing a great job and Hamilton's teachers are wonderful. Hamilton offers the IPM program, athletics and has an amazing arts program that includes band, theatre and dance.

Posted October 14, 2013

This school is rebuilding and on it's way to the top. With a unified student body, teaching teams across multiple programs, and a superb Administration, everyone is happy and learning. Hamilton Middle School is a school with excellence in Academics, Arts, and Athletics. Students are constantly challenged to learn new things. With 21st century technology in classrooms, an outstanding electives program, and encouragement to play a sport, all students have the opportunity to grow and become well rounded individuals. You will not find a better music program anywhere in Denver, with both the orchestra and band receiving superior ratings from CHSAA in the last school year. Students in vocal music and instrument music represent the school in the DPS Citywide music programs every year. Hamilton Middle School Students continue to take awards on a National level. New logo, new website, and new programs, everyone is encouraged to get involved as we build a stronger Hamilton. Our family could not think of a better place to learn. I know our students will be prepared for the world ahead of them.

Posted September 30, 2013

What a difference a new principal makes in a few short months. Mr. Dawkins and his staff have worked tirelessly to turn this school around and it is showing. He cares about the education of ALL STUDENTS in the building whether they chose IPM or the PEAK program. It is very refreshing to see staff and students smiling and excited about coming to school everyday. My 8th grader says it feels like a totally different school that when he started in 6th grade. I volunteer in the school and it's nice to see the transition that is going on. Hamilton is well on its way to being the best middle school in Colorado. I would highly recommend you take a look at the academic, athletics, and art programs the school has to offer. There is a wonderful drama dept., vocal music program, band and orchestra program, visual art, and computer programs. It is a great option located in Southeast Denver. Be sure to come check out the new Hamilton before making a choice for middle school. You'll be glad you did!! Thank you DPS for making a much need change at our wonderful neighborhood school.

Posted September 14, 2013

Wow! What renaissance since last year. Everybody is smiling! It's hard to believe it's the same school. Many new enthusiastic teachers. An all new administration, including a kid, parent and teacher friendly principal who puts kids first and is dedicated to making Hamilton the best school in the state. New technology including smart boards in nearly every room. A dynamic elective program the includes art, band, orchestra, vocal music, dance and two computer courses. Two academic choices IPM and PEAK designed to accommodate every kid. Their school rating for last is a reflection of the old administration and some teachers who were shown the door. My son is proud to be a Husky again!

Posted September 10, 2013

We are in our third year at Hamilton, and my two kids continue to have a wonderfully dynamic educational experience at this DPS school. The team teaching approach incorporated at the school ensures that kids don't slip through the cracks. My kids are challenged academically while being given the freedom to use their imagination and creativity in the process. We feel good about our decision to send our kids to Hamilton, and there is no question that they will be ready for whichever high school they choose. Additionally, the administrative staff at the school is fabulous!

Posted September 7, 2013

Hamilton Middle School in Denver is a different school today than it was one short year ago. I'm amazed how a change in leadership has made such a difference. I know the sticks and bricks are the same, but it even LOOKS better. However, the real metamorphosis is in the attitude of the faculty, staff, and especially in the students. Hamilton was never a bad school, but now it is fantastic. My 8th grader is very enthused (he's in the PEAK program) and is far more engaged now than is past years. He and his friends bubble over about the new principal and the things that are happening. At Hamilton, I feel welcome as a volunteering parent. The teachers are dedicated and concerned about my kid. I had a great experience with a scheduling issue - the Assist. Principal was very responsive and passionate that my son be placed in the best classes for his needs. All in all, I am thrilled with the new Hamilton Middle School. I just wish it had happened sooner. I know my older son (a junior at TJHS) is jealous of his little brother's school and wishes he could have had the same experience. I wholeheartedly recommend Hamilton as an excellent place to spend 6th, 7th, and 8th grades.

Posted September 1, 2013

I spent my three middle school years in the IPM program at this school, and I loved it. That academics are great, the teachers really care, and I learned so much. I'm now in the IB program at George Washington and I love it. However, the segregation between IPM and PEAK is awful. However, last year, the old, prison-guard principal was finally fired, and Mr. Dawkins, the new principal, is wonderful. I believe that the school can only get better from here on out. -Julianna

Posted May 30, 2013

This school is absolutely horrible. I went here for 6th and 7th grade. I had to move because of the bullying and segregation problems. The principal and teachers stand by and act as if their is nothing wrong with students mentally hurting other students. The 2 years I spent at hamilton were the worst! Not only is the social life at hamilton terrible, but so are the academics. I went from being a straight A student to flunking most of my classes. The teachers barely try. The students are insane. The teachers mainly talk to you for 30 minutes and hand you a test expecting you to ace it. I would definitely not recommend this school to any parents.

Posted May 25, 2013

My child started attending Hamilton this year and has went completely downhill. He went from being a normal every day child to a child that I am struggling on a day to day basis to figure out how to deal with properly. His academic work has suffered, his attitude is horrible, and there are other troubling signs. I have two other children that would be entering Hamilton over the next few years and I will not be letting them go to this school. The teachers seem unable to control their classroom. Saying things like "I've got a lot of talkers in this class and it gets out of control sometimes." The entire staff seems to be at their whits ends in trying to function on a day to day basis. I quite honestly believe that this school has aided in my child becoming a worse student and individual, not a better one.

Posted February 8, 2013

Think twice about sending your child to this school! I have an average child, and it's Horrible! Some teachers are ok,,but several need to move on. Hamilton need fresh new teachers to make learning positive.

Posted December 5, 2012

This school is awesome!!!! this school teaches you a lot and the teachers are very nice and caring. I have been in this school for 4 months and i think its an excellent middle school. This doesn't mean that i haven't had problems at this school though, i have been in some problems with some of the kids, but the security of the school will fix it in no time. I also think that it is a very organized school. The IPM kids are in the middle of the building and the tap kids are in the bottom so the kids can be separated which is a good thing because the TAP kids don't really like the IPM kids for some reason. The principal of the school is really responsible and will take care of the problems.(:

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

265 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

265 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students61%

Limited English proficiency (LEP)5%
Proficient in English66%
Neither migrant nor immigrant62%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

Asian 4% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Japanese
Russian
Spanish
Ukranian, Polish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Emotional behavioral disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration

• 7:30 am
School end time
  • 2:55 pm
  • Nick Dawkins
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (720) 423-9445

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Standards-based

• Arts (all)
  • Foreign languages
  • Global
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Performing arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Optimist Club of Denver

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Mathletics

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council