Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Excellent preparation for the next level! The staff and community are great and really involved.

Hamilton is doing an excellent job. The academics are outstanding. The teachers are the best in the city. They have kept up their reputation for academic distinction. Recently, they had nearly 15 of the 30 top spellers in the State, top test scores in the city, and Top honors in student art performances. The new principal came in and hit the ground running to keep the school moving forward. The school is moving to be an Official IB school, which will be a great future for our kids. They have also improved focus and order in the school. My son tells me they have new positive rewards and improved rules for behavior so that kids can focus. Communication with parents has also gotten better this year. I also appreciate the friendly office staff.

I am a parent of a sixth grader. The principal, Mr. Sawyer, is positive and cares about our students learning. He does a call out every week for parents that helps us stay informed. The teachers are excellent and the deans keep order and safety. I am very pleased!

We always work hard to improve our school.When our old principal (Mr. Dawkins) was here, he would always reward and praise us for our hard work. Our teachers and our assistant principal who has always been there for us since we started in 6th grade praise and reward us for our hard work. Our teachers are amazing. They make learning fun which makes us want to be there.I wish the new administration would inspire and encourage us especially when it comes to CMAS and PARCC. We need more encouragement then just do our personal best it takes a lot more than just wishing us luck. When Mr. Dawkins was here,he would inspire us to help us to do well on the big tests. That's why we got great scores then. Hopefully we get great scores again.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Hamilton's teachers are phenomenal. There's really nothing more to say. Each one has a unique teaching style that's both informative and entertaining.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework is generally light depending on your teachers. However, there is just the right amount of homework to ensure learning and studying while allowing students to enjoy after school activities.

If it was an option, I'd give this school a 4.5. I am an 8th grader at Hamilton and thoroughly enjoy the school. I moved to Hamilton in 7th grade from another DPS school. I was immediately accepted into Hamilton's community. All of the students welcomed me and I made several new friends. From there, I became an active member in the theatre community. The drama teacher, Ms. Nyhus, was amazing and we managed to produce many marvelous shows for the school community. I also continued my love for softball. Hamilton is truly spectacular because it allows you to explore so many activities/clubs/ passions! As of today, I am in student government, the musical, writer's club, and I was a softball player. It's an amazing community. Yet, recently, the school did receive some new faculty including a new principal and other student deans. The deans are strict and unwelcoming usually. If other students act out, they treat you like you're the troublemaker. In their eyes, you're the same as a failing, cussing fellow student. Not to mention, they bestow no trust in the student community. They also rudely enforce an unfair dress code where leggings and ripped jeans are outlawed. (The student body protested the dress code and leggings are now permitted.) However, I still think this school is quite fantastic despite the new deans. The core/elective teachers are hardworking, fun, and they always listen. I feel at home in Hamilton with my student peers, friends, and my teachers. I don't think I'd choose to be anywhere else for middle school.

I am concerned about the number of fights I am told about each day by my daughter. The number of bullying issue from the upper classman. we need the school to instill respect for peers and underclassmen

I think the academics at this school are on target, or getting there, but I am concerned about the strictures put on girls with regard to their unspoken duty to dress "appropriately." In the real world, we call this "slut shaming." Boys can wear shorts above the knee, but not girls. Boys can wear t shirts with some "spicy" sayings, but girls get busted if they wear tanks with less than three finger wide shoulder straps. WHOSE FINGERS? That is problematic, in and of itself. Keep your fingers off my child's shoulders, thank you! If HMS handed us a dress code in the parent handbook, that is what they need to stick with. There is now the news that the dress code is changing so that girls can't wear skinny jeans or leggings. Frankly, if boys are so distracted by this (seen all over the city, not peculiar to Hamilton), then they are the ones who need some shaming. This dress policy change, made after school shopping occurred in many households, is just plain Draconian. I'm sure some administrators and faculty would love it if kids showed up in Amish attire, but that is not going to happen. Feeling pretty fed up.

This school has made many great changes. The security is amazing now. I am a 7th grader, going into 8th and last year as a 6th grader was terrible. The PEAK kids (known as TAP back then) were out of control (so were some of the IPM kids but it was the teachers who influenced the behavior in the TAP program). Students were throwing pencils at the ceiling and running out of classrooms. It was anarchy. But when principle Dawkins showed up, he was like our savior. He hired new teachers and deans and assistant principles. Together they enforced a strict new set of rules. The new Avid program has been amazing as well. The teacher is perfect for the position. Avid is about going to college. They tour near by college campuses and learn how to be more responsible is the career world. This is truly a school of excellence. It is an honor to go to this school. If you are a parent with a child about to start middle school, then let them start at Hamilton, a school of greatness.

Last modified Hamilton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.