Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

I am a parent who has had multiple children come through. For the first time in years, the new principal Mr Sawyer and his staff have finally ended the division in the school separating the kids based on false beliefs. Now the school will all be an international school, a real program of academics for all kids. No more division. The school has also started a new Computer programming class my kids have loved and National History Day is for all kids now, when it used to only be for a select few. Keep going Hamilton! You're doing right by kids. Proud to know a school is doing this.

Ever since Dr. Sawyer took over, the school has gone down hill. The dress code to shut shame the girls so the boys don't get distracted is ridiculous and not followed across the board anyway. Dr. Sawyer is a big believer in punishing everyone for the actions of a few so if your child is well behaved, expect them to lose privileges because he is too afraid to handle the situation with a particular group. My youngest will not attend here is Sawyer is still there but judging from the conversations I've had with many parents, he probably won't be.

Excellent preparation for the next level! The staff and community are great and really involved.

Hamilton is doing an excellent job. The academics are outstanding. The teachers are the best in the city. They have kept up their reputation for academic distinction. Recently, they had nearly 15 of the 30 top spellers in the State, top test scores in the city, and Top honors in student art performances. The new principal came in and hit the ground running to keep the school moving forward. The school is moving to be an Official IB school, which will be a great future for our kids. They have also improved focus and order in the school. My son tells me they have new positive rewards and improved rules for behavior so that kids can focus. Communication with parents has also gotten better this year. I also appreciate the friendly office staff.

I am a parent of a sixth grader. The principal, Mr. Sawyer, is positive and cares about our students learning. He does a call out every week for parents that helps us stay informed. The teachers are excellent and the deans keep order and safety. I am very pleased!

We always work hard to improve our school.When our old principal (Mr. Dawkins) was here, he would always reward and praise us for our hard work. Our teachers and our assistant principal who has always been there for us since we started in 6th grade praise and reward us for our hard work. Our teachers are amazing. They make learning fun which makes us want to be there.I wish the new administration would inspire and encourage us especially when it comes to CMAS and PARCC. We need more encouragement then just do our personal best it takes a lot more than just wishing us luck. When Mr. Dawkins was here,he would inspire us to help us to do well on the big tests. That's why we got great scores then. Hopefully we get great scores again.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Hamilton's teachers are phenomenal. There's really nothing more to say. Each one has a unique teaching style that's both informative and entertaining.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework is generally light depending on your teachers. However, there is just the right amount of homework to ensure learning and studying while allowing students to enjoy after school activities.

If it was an option, I'd give this school a 4.5. I am an 8th grader at Hamilton and thoroughly enjoy the school. I moved to Hamilton in 7th grade from another DPS school. I was immediately accepted into Hamilton's community. All of the students welcomed me and I made several new friends. From there, I became an active member in the theatre community. The drama teacher, Ms. Nyhus, was amazing and we managed to produce many marvelous shows for the school community. I also continued my love for softball. Hamilton is truly spectacular because it allows you to explore so many activities/clubs/ passions! As of today, I am in student government, the musical, writer's club, and I was a softball player. It's an amazing community. Yet, recently, the school did receive some new faculty including a new principal and other student deans. The deans are strict and unwelcoming usually. If other students act out, they treat you like you're the troublemaker. In their eyes, you're the same as a failing, cussing fellow student. Not to mention, they bestow no trust in the student community. They also rudely enforce an unfair dress code where leggings and ripped jeans are outlawed. (The student body protested the dress code and leggings are now permitted.) However, I still think this school is quite fantastic despite the new deans. The core/elective teachers are hardworking, fun, and they always listen. I feel at home in Hamilton with my student peers, friends, and my teachers. I don't think I'd choose to be anywhere else for middle school.

I am concerned about the number of fights I am told about each day by my daughter. The number of bullying issue from the upper classman. we need the school to instill respect for peers and underclassmen

Last modified Hamilton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.