Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Disagree

2-3 hours a night. Reading is no longer enjoyed but mandatory. By the time we got home from pick up my kids did homework until dinner with no time to play outside at all.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school teaches competitiveness and the attitude is reflected in the students. The lack of community with this competitiveness teaches children to be mean to each other and that is not integrity in my opinion.

My children were accepted this year and I was super hopeful this school would be excellent. Unfortunately, our experience was not what was expected. The academics of this school are on point. That means 8 hours of academics only- no socialization, no community, and your children not developing close relationships with any peers. However, your children will be ahead of other children in the district in regards to academics. My children have mentioned over and over how there is much bullying in this school and how people are not nice. I guess only the strong survive starts in kindergarten here.. The teachers at this school are phenomenal and some of the best educators I have ever encountered- so nothing negative to be said there. For us personally it was the 2-3 hours of homework nightly, our children not being able to be children, develop relationships, the pick up and drop off, and my kids hating school and reading where they loved it before that is causing us to pull out of this school. It is more like a military school than anything I have ever seen. I only attended private and charter schools my entire education and I have never experienced the lack of value the children hold in the eyes of the staff. We were just a number.. Don't go here if you want to raise children who value people.

I am so happy I pulled my kids out of this school. They have a number of issues. First, the principal is terrible. He only talks about data and scores. He doesn't actually care for the little humans he is responsible for. Second, the homework is excessive and meaningless. My kids are at the neighborhood school now and we have a moderate amount of homework. Our evenings have improved drastically. We have more time as a family to play a game, take a walk, read books, etc. and guess what?! They are learning just as much without all the homework. In fact, I think they actually retain more because their brains have an opportunity to rest. Third, the pickup system is a disaster. You want to greet your kids? Good luck! You have to sit in the car line for 20 minutes and you can't get out to hug them or help them with their belongings. There is extremely limited parking around the school and one of the crazy neighbors might come out yelling at you if you park near their house to go into the school. Fourth, the curriculum and methods they use are out dated, especially the math program. CCA is all about worksheets and "showing" that they've done work. Kids have a variety of learning styles, but CCA is inflexible and will not adapt to kids who don't fit their method...rote memorization. Additionally the lunch program is terrible. The cost is outrageous and you have to order pretty far in advance for food that is mediocre at best. I am just so happy that we left here. At our neighborhood school we have a strong sense of community. We play with friends before and after school. We have so many opportunities for connection that you just cannot get at a charter school like CCA. Don't be fooled by the test scores, this school is not worth it. My kids had anxiety about being at school there. I will say it again, I'm SO happy we left CCA!

This school is very strict, and a few of the teachers are just over the top when it comes to rules, but overall, it's a decent balance for some kids . There are some fantastic teachers, but unfortunately, there are more and more new, less experienced teachers joining the faculty. Some of the newer teachers just don't have the experience with younger children that great elementary teachers need to have. The principal does not always address problems, likes to make empty promises, and is quick to judge parents. He is most concerned about his resume, having the latest technology, and the highest test scores. After only five years with new, very expensive smart boards, more new ones were purchased this year, along with blue tooth control devices, for all classrooms. The field is in terrible shape year after year, yet we have the latest technology. Priorities need to be adjusted and I would like to see someone else, more focused on the kids and less on money spent, running this school.

Develops character: Neutral

The problem with this assessment driven school is that you have kids competing and a sense of "perfectionism" that is unhealthy. Then kids are constantly comparing themselves to others rather than supporting their peers. There is a problem with bullying here.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

They are so worried about test scores that the work and instruction is geared around that. They are covering the "standards", but I'm not convinced it's in the best interest of the students.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework should be given when it's meaningful and helpful, not for the sake of giving homework. I think it's excessive at CCA.

We attended CCA for four years. While the child got a sound academic education, other important facets such as teaching the child to think critically, allowing the child to be creative, and fostering an atmosphere of open and honest communications between administration and parents seemed to be sadly lacking. A few of the teachers and long-time administrators were extraordinary and much cherished; others were detrimental for the self-confidence and development of the child. The leadership has an authoritarian management style; instead of working with parents as partners on this important developmental journey our experience has been that parents who are not on the school senate are treated as a necessary evil (albeit open conduit for financial support) . Nothing replaces going into the school and 'kicking the tires' to get a feel for the atmosphere and sitting down and interviewing the principal before you decide whether the values of this charter school align with your values. For some families a school that seems rigid, domineering and inflexible might have other qualities that make it a fit; we left with the impression that graduates are not necessarily prepared for a smooth transition to high school nor are they given the best tools to be successful beyond high school. Don't rely on school rankings or awards when making this important decisions; rely on your eyes and ears and talk to current and previous parents. Good luck!

CCA is a fantastic school! My son is very bright and is being challenged even in kindergarten. He is learning the same level math as his sister, who is in 3rd grade at our local public elementary school. I really cannot say enough good things about this school! The teachers, staff, and PTO parents are all awesome and all have a very high interest in helping our children and our school succeed. It is beyond organized and the administration staff are very good at their jobs! The principal is a super great guy! We are so grateful to be part of the CCA Family. If I had something negative to say I would absolutely say it, but I don't. Okay, so we really need another parking lot. I am very pleased with the curriculum, environment, and staff! Get your kids on the wait list as soon as they're born!

Last modified Cherry Creek Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.