Ridgeview Classical Charter Schools

Charter | K-12 | 774 students

Our school is best known for providing a robust liberal arts education.

Posted June 24, 2014

The students that I know that go to this school are very prideful and they are taught to act this way by the teachers.

Posted April 30, 2014

I love the way my students think outside the box, and carry themselves as responsible teenagers! Ridgeview Classical Schools has contributed to the molding and shaping of my kids into not only exceptional academic students with great communication skills, it has made them teenagers that are articulate, concise, compassionate, and proud of their own accomplishments. Ridgeview has had an impact on how my students think not only about themselves, but just as important, how they think about their fellow students, their school, their community, and their country. I know I will be sending my students off into the world of adulthood with a confidence in themselves that will be an asset to them no matter what their endeavors. My students converse with any age group from many walks of life with poise and confidence. They have thoughtful input on their future, and the future of the world around them. The teachers at Ridgeview obviously love to teach and appear to be genuinely interested in their students From History and Latin, Math to Music I would recommend Ridgeview to any parent who is looking for a school that brings out the best in their children, academically and individually.

Posted April 17, 2014

We have been with Ridgeview for five years now. We've had some ups & downs, but I dont see the grass being greener anyplace else. School is hard work for both parents & students. Each student is a little different, so is each family. What makes these reviews humorous is that we know exactly what we are getting when we signed up - we all sign paperwork stating that we understand the dress code/agree to support it, the same for character, homework, and the overall rigor. Has every teacher been our favorite? No. Has every day been heaven? Of course not. The good teachers though are incredible better than anything I ever had.. The leadership has changed. Such things happen. We ve been happy with the new leadership. The school has become even more classically oriented, it s clear it values our values, and the kids have more opportunities than ever before. At the end of the day it is a school of choice, and each year we are free to make a decision about whether to return. I can t imagine leaving, but it s probable that we choose to return for some of the same reasons others choose not to. The kids here have it very good IMO, far better than any other students I have met.

Posted April 13, 2014

I have 3 children at RCS now, the leadership needs improvement. The uniform code is not upheld for every student. The assistant principal's step daughter is allowed to wear items that don't line up with policy continuously, while other kids get sent to the office for wearing brown boots that clearly fall within the policy. Teacher turn over this year has been quite high due to the new leadership. My son has had 3 different teachers THIS YEAR, they need to gain stability somehow.

Posted December 23, 2013

I used to go to this school as a Part time student, and I feel that it was a better school then the one I was a full time student at. If I had the opportunity to, I would have wanted to graduate from this school. The teachers are willing to help you learn and answer any questions you may have when learning. At the other school I was going to, I had to wait whenever I emailed a teacher a question (mostly because it was an online school) but at Ridgeview I felt like I was challenged and learned more. -Former Student

Posted December 20, 2013

I wonder about the value of anonymous reviews. 4 of my kids attended RCS, one from the start. 2 graduated, the last is a senior. I know parents leave without ever talking to a teacher or without providing feedback to RCS. Feedback is always solicited. Some never bother to check facts versus gossip. FACTS: there has NEVER been an RCS elementary class over 31 students. RCS has a high number of special needs students. Parents have told me they pull their kids BEFORE high school to get the elementary rigor but want the "easier" grades their kids will get from other senior high schools to make it easier for their kids to get into college. I prefer to pursue education for the sake of education. I'd rather have my kids get educated "C's" at RCS than easy "A's" elsewhere. A HUGE part of my kid's education at RCS is, thankfully, the "conversation"; examine all sides of a topic with true academic freedom, for learning's sake. Frankly, all kids may not achieve at a rigorous level, one of mine didn't, AND I don't blame RCS! Thanks for school choice! If it doesn't work for me I can leave. I long for space to address the "elitist" slur. As if real learning is somehow demeaning.

Posted December 6, 2013

Seriously. This school was horrible. Teachers were far more willing to accept a 7 page paper of useless information and filler words than they were a 3 page paper of actual content and concise points.

Posted December 4, 2013

How I measure Ridgeview Classical School's success is via the discussions I am able to have with my daughter who is a Junior there and has attended Ridgeview since 3rd Grade. I have also read the thought provoking articles that she brings home. She is able to discuss politics, ethical concerns as well as intellectual ones. Bravo Ridgeview. I suppose an improvement would be a more comprehensive sports and fitness program. I am not opposed to competitive team sports or identifying those who excel in those areas if they wish to pursue sports as their career. It is another area that strengthens discipline. Also an animal program would be nice or art therapy as vocational pursuits, perhaps during the summer academy. How to start your own business would also be a great class as I do not think that option is emphasized enough.

Posted December 3, 2013

I've written a post before concerning Ridgeview Classical Schools before. I will write one again. Although I failed to put the star ratings on it. I am going to do it again. As a previous parent and employee of Ridgeview Classical Schools. I give it five stars. Not just for the education but as a great place to work for as well. I have three children. One whom graduated and because of the education he received I am not worried about him making it in this world. I believe because of the education, support, and diversity they have to offer is why he is going to be great in whatever path he chooses! My other two children. I had hoped they too would be able to graduate sadly cannot due to the fact we had to move out if state for my husbands employment. I believe that they have what it takes to help your student achieve the highest potential. I've enjoyed the students and staff. :). Your child or children are in great hands! If ya can't come there because of distance I encourage you to check out other charter schools as well. Your child will receive far better education in Charter vs. Public. Hands down Ridgeview Rocks!!

Posted November 2, 2013

It really surprises me how often disgruntled parents will say that Ridgeview is elitist considering that it has a higher percentage of students with learning disabilities and autism spectrum disorders per capita than the vast majority of schools in the district. Nearly every child who transfers into Ridgeview will find themselves behind the curve. The curriculum is rigorous and many children will begin a semester failing subjects they may have done well in in other schools. It takes time to determine a student's strengths and weaknesses and apply this knowledge to help a student succeed. This process usually takes the first few of months of school or, in the case of one of my children, a couple of years because of his pronounced learning disabilities. It does take a certain amount of perseverance on the part of the student and the parents. In all honesty, a classical school of any kind is not for every child and family and many parents move their children to public school around junior high because they feel their child needs to experience a broader social environment with more activities. It rarely has anything to do with academics.

Posted November 1, 2013

Our child started off the year (2013/2014) at Ridgeview but was quickly pulled out by my husband and I due to the administration. We were very unhappy to learn that he was failing every class within the first month of school and was still adjusting to the curriculum. We were told by teachers " he needs to do all memorization in class" which was absurd to us. The school says it strives on parent involvement but when you get too involved they look down on it. We contacted the principal and never got a response back until I had to contact his supervisor a week later! We pulled our son out due to felling as though he didn't fit their mold of the perfect child that would help them receive there wonderful test scores. I guess I didn't think about that when I heard there were only about 20 students that graduate at a time! We feel as though if your child is not an independent learner then your child wont succeed. My child was in trouble almost everyday at Ridgeview and since we switched we have had no problems. He is a lot happier not being in the "elite" society. My husband and I both would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 22, 2013

My kids started Ridgeview a few years ago. It became very apparent that the school is geared toward those kids who are excellent students but unfortunately the average to lower students get left behind. This is validated by the huge turn-over percentage of middle school students. You can verify these numbers by reading the board minutes. This problem has not been fixed and the administration seem not to care. I believe that this is caused by lack of leadership (admin and board level). The high test scores at the high school level are due to weeding out the average and lower students at the lower level to pad there ranking and scores. We will not be enrolling our kids for the 2013 School year. I would not recommend Ridgeview Classical School.

Posted May 21, 2013

I love Ridgeview! It's a great school for those who enjoy the liberal arts. They give kids a sophisticated education that most adults don't even get. If you ask most adults to give you an analysis on the nature of love and affection on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, or even a summary of the play,chances are they won't even have a clue. At Ridgeview, this is a required task for the 7th grade! Also, the class sizes are really small in upper school. Usually it is 15 students or less Amazing school. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants their child to be successful.

Posted April 16, 2013

I noticed many of the negative comments on the site have incorrect facts. One comment states that the elementary classes often exceed 35 students. The elementary classes have never exceeded 31 students. Another complains about no extra curricular activities and no sports. There are many extra curricular activities at the school. As for sports, there are Jr. High sports and in high school you may try out at other schools. My daughter has played varsity sports all through her high school career. In addition she has been active in music and student council. One thing I really like about the school is how they celebrate the achievements of their students either in the newsletter or in the quarterly student assembly.

Posted August 28, 2012

My children have attended this school for one year and I must say that I am blown away with the curiculum that this excellent school provides. They do expect a great deal from children academically but in my opinion that instills a work ethic in to children from an early age. The school is not for every child since it is based on a core education. However, if you feel that you child can thrive in a challenging environment, then do him/her a favor and send them to this school!

Posted July 19, 2012

Take my review for what it's worth, because my kids were there several years ago, but I find myself once again researching schools (in another area) and I have some thoughts about what makes a good school or a bad school. There is no question that, while we were there, the academics were strong. I was excited about it at first. Safe environment, motivated students and families. As time wore on, my 2nd and 4th graders, who continue to be excellent students, became very stressed out from the large amount of homework. My 4th grade daughter (top student in her grade last year, and somewhat quiet and shy) complained consistently about her mean teacher. We all know there is a difference between a teacher with high expectations and a mean teacher. Toward the end of the year I felt like the school was just too much into very high control and too low on the humanity/kids factor. Elementary class sizes were larger than 35 at the time. My older son made good friends and seemed to do well, but my experience with 3 kids in the school is that it really is not for everyone, in spite of what they say.

Posted November 29, 2011

As the mother of a first grader at Ridgeview Classical School in Fort Collins, I have been extremely pleased with our son's educational experience up to this point. Open enrollment at Ridgeview means diversity in the school population, and I appreciate that RCS gives every child the chance to experience a classical education. The teachers at Ridgeview are top notch; they challenge AND encourage the children to be the best student they can be every day. I am grateful for the moral and ethical values that the teachers instill in the children; truly pillars of excellence. When I drop off my son each morning, I am proud to send him to a school with other children whose parents have thoughtfully considered the education of their child(ren). Do your research, check out the orientation. It is worth your time, your child is worth it!!!

Posted October 13, 2011

As parents, Ridgeview has exceeded our high expectations. They believe that it is up to the school to educate each student regardless of his or her background (no entrance test). They work hard to build a foundation for a lifetime of learning. There are other elements of the Ridgeview experience that we appreciate as well. Unlike some other schools, there isn't a constant drumbeat of fund-raising forced on the students. There is diversity among the students related to their socio-economic status. There is no forced parental volunteering. Many parents give generously of their time in many different capacities. If parents are unable to volunteer, they are not required to do so (unlike some other schools). The most positive thing I can say about Ridgeview is that they have high expectations. Some interpret that negatively. Instead, it is a blessing to the students. Our children's teachers constantly expect our kids to meet their potential. Nothing is more damaging to a human being than very low expectations. Ridgeview provides an environment where every student is encouraged to reach their potential with resources and caring that gets success.

Posted October 12, 2011

We are so thankful that our child is able to attend Ridgeview. They truly are a terrific open enrollment school (no testing prior to admission) and work hard to bring every child up to a high standard. They also do this on a much smaller budget than other public schools. The administration and teachers care very much about each and every student. I am amazed at what our child is learning, and how much they love school! They do have higher standards for their behavior which we really appreciate. Please do your own research and come and see Ridgeview for yourself (you can sit in on a class at any time!). We looked at many schools in the district and are very proud to be Hoplites!

Posted September 21, 2011

We have 3 children attending Ridgeview, in the elementary grades. We have been at the school for 3 years, and I can say that the academics are excellent. Ridgeview uses Singapore Math and Riggs for reading. These two methods of teaching are time intensive for the teacher training and therefore costly to the school -- but they are so beneficial to the children learning to read WELL and process their math. It's not just the right answer that is sought, but truly teaching the students to think intelligently. Character education is highly valued and the teachers teach it well. The students get to take karate, learn Latin, take Spanish from Kindergarten, and start orchestra earlier than other schools. It's a great place for our kids to learn, and it's well worth our drive to take them there. We knew one family that took their kids out of Ridgeview when they reached high school level. The mom regretted it immensely. She said it was like taking a kid out of church and putting him into a strip club. We are thankful for the standards that Ridgeview upholds, and grateful that our kids get to receive an education akin to a private school, at the cost of a public education.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 49% in 2013.

All Students77%

Students without disabilities88%
Proficient in English86%
Neither migrant nor immigrant85%

Source: Colorado Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 TCAP results from the state of Colorado.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Colorado high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A41%
Male 48%N/A51%
Female 52%N/A49%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school District Schools
Home Schools
Other Charter and Private Schools
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 90% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 5% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Italian
Russian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

School start time
  • 7:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Derek Anderson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep

• Performing arts
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Vocal lessons / coaching
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
1050
Students typically come from these schools
District Schools
Home Schools
Other Charter and Private Schools

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
Summer college prep programs
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013