No rating

Mackintosh Academy

Private | PK-8 | 185 students

Living in Littleton

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted November 12, 2007

My son is a bright and extremely reticent guy, the most important thing about middle school at Mackintosh was that he was valued and honored for who he is and therefore, he emerged from middle school whole and sure of himself and his values. The transition to a much bigger school went smoothly and in his words was 'underwhelming'. No, he's not an overachieving, straight A student, but Mackintosh prepared him to think critically and problem solve-something I think is lost in the CSAP driven world of many public schools. The specials classes were also so important for his development. I wish every school (including high school) would require kids to go to PE every day. I also loved that he had to be in the plays. It wasn't something he would have chosen, but he had fun with them and learned so much.

Posted November 12, 2007

Mackintosh provides a unique opportunity for children to grow intellectually and emotionally in a safe, caring environment with an outstanding 10-1 student/teacher ratio, with an authentic emphasis on the arts, both performing and visual.

Posted November 8, 2007

As a teacher at Mackintosh Academy I am honored to be an educator within such a positive and heart filled environment. Within our school one will find a community of learners that are inquiring about the world around them through a rich academic curriculum that is supported by experienced educators. In their learning, the students acquire and apply not only academic skills, but social skills as well that are valuable in the classroom as well as in their own personal lives. The staff and families of Mackintosh are committed in making a positive influence in the educational experiences of all the students by appreciating their differences in learning. It is a compassionate school where it is a joy to watch the students love to learn.

Posted November 7, 2007

Mackintosh Academy has offered my children an excellent education. The school philosophy revolves around honoring the whole child and I have seen this to be true. The academic program, enhanced by the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program, is outstanding. Students develop a love of inquiry and learning. I have been impressed by the teachers and administration in both their communication and listening skills.

Posted November 7, 2007

This is our daughters first year at Mackintosh and we couldn't be happier! During the last eight weeks, my husband and I have noticed tremendous growth--both academically and socially. There are many components that make Mackintosh such a unique learning environment. Some of these components include, small class size, highly qualified teachers, International Baccalaureate accreditation, amazing leadership by the Head of School, and the 'family like' atmosphere. We are blessed that our daughter has the opportunity to attend such an amazing school!

Posted November 6, 2007

As a teacher at Mackintosh Academy, I am grateful each day to be part of a compassionate, intelligent and conscientious community of teachers, students and families. Mackintosh strives to teach the whole child-head, hand and heart- by addressing the differentiated needs of each student and honoring them as individuals. Each classroom is a fusion of individuals exploring the world together. With the International Baccalaureate Program as a foundation, each class investigates concepts to deepen knowledge and develop skills. The children continuously explore what it means to be an IB learner, and are encouraged to take their learning and put it into action. I am thrilled and honored to be a part of this excellent program.

Posted November 5, 2007

Mackintosh Academy is the best school in which I have ever taught in over 15 years of teaching experience. The International Baccalaureate accredidation is not merely a label but the attitudes of everything from compassion, creativity, and curiosity to empathy, enthusiasm, respect, tolerance, and more, are taught intentionally on a day-to-day basis. I started at the school as a substitute teacher. I remember my first visit being so impressed with the kind of learners being shaped here that I deeply desired to work here full-time. Happily, that has happened, and I love implementing the kinds of teaching that form our students into reflective thinkers, principled risk-takers, and caring, open-minded, knowledgeable communicators. I highly recommend this school for all of the reasons above, but also because it is a genuine community of people who have keen minds, compassionate hearts, and are global actors, working for a better world. Barbara VB

Posted November 2, 2007

As a teacherf at Mackintosh Academy, I really love working here. Our IB, student directed/techer led curriculum is wonderful. Students get to do a lot of exploring and discovering on their way to learning. The small class size with two teachers per room is one of the best parts of the school. We are able to address the needs of students with many different learning styles and learning needs. There is lots of time and room for individual attention. I have found this one-on-one time to be the key to growth, improvement and overall learning. We are also blessed to have a parent community that is involved, interested and supportive. The education of the children is truly a team effort between teachers, students and parents.

Posted August 9, 2007

I attended Mackintosh Academy from the time I was 4 years old until I finished 'Division Four'. I transfered into public school and only then did I realize that I had missed critical basic skills in all basic subjects. While the administration attains bragging rights for teaching elementary level students biology and algebra, in reality the subjects are skimmed over in a manner that allows students to forget everything they absorbed within a short period of time. When I transfered to public school, I was so far behind in all basic subjects that I needed to go in for extra help sessions with teachers just to keep up. Don't assume this is because Mackintosh made a mistake in accepting me; I recieved top marks in my time there. I caught up with much effort. I would consider a different school for your child's education.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 7, 2007

Mackintosh Academy has been a disappointment for my family. We 'bought into' the promise of individualized care and unfortunately this is not the case. Our experience included no true commitment for individual learning needs. The staff relies heavily on parents to fill the gaps. Although this is a 'gifted' school we saw no evidence that academically our children were excelling, in fact, when we transferred to the public school of choice our children were behind in more than one subject. I strongly recommend you look elsewhere for quality education that will prepare your child emotionally, academically and socially.

Posted August 1, 2006

I have two boys who attend Mackintosh. They love the school and I love the close knit relationship built between parent, child, and teacher. They truly know my children and when there is an area of weakness they jump to help them achieve success. The teachers at Mackintosh are beyond incredible. They are passionate, caring, knowledgeable individuals that know how to insight and ingauge these children in a way I've never seen before. My children love their teachers and they get loving support to achieve their very best.

Posted May 7, 2006

My children have thrived at this wonderful school. They are able to be themselves-smart and caring kids. Strengths are celebrated and weaknesses are nurtured. The teachers work incredibly hard and really know each child.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab