Flagstaff Charter Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 815 students

Posted November 12, 2010

To the parent with the bully problem....my immediate reaction was if you are going to gossip to other parents about your issue instead of working on it yourself and if you are going to elevate to the Supreme Court without allowing one of the three administrators Flagstaff has on hand to help, then it sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I am a parent and a volunteer and I have seen the numerous events and programs FSA has brought in or created themselves. My child has talked about the program(s). All schools have this issue and most if not all work hard to address it. It is parents like you who instead of helping be part of the solution, gossip and become more of the problem. How many other parents have you "discussed this with?" How much time have you offered up to facilitate any kind of program, event, playdates etc? Furthermore, most parents believe their child is NOT capable of being any part of the bullying, only the recipient. I am here to tell you that a word, a gesture, a look can contribute to a situation. And there are two sides TO EVERY STORY.

Posted November 10, 2010

If you want your child to be challenged, encouraged, and praised for their unique abilities then this is the school. My children have been challenged to do their best and yes that does require that as their parent I put in time and help them to keep up with the standards of the class and the teacher. I think this school expects all children to be able to compete with other top countries in all areas. I have no problem with that and I know that my children will rise to that expectation and possibly exceed it.

Posted November 9, 2010

My son today learned that the bullying at flagstaff will go continue as he was the victim and the child that was picking on him was resued when he got upset. A parent suggested that I make a claim with the state of Colorado department of education and St vrain Valley School District.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 6, 2010

I can't really speak to Preschool - 5 at Flagstaff but the middle school is horrible! The work is way too difficult for many students so cheating is rampant with parents often doing the work for the kids. The teachers are not at all objective in their grading but seem to grade according to how much they like the student and that seems to depend on how much the parents donate or how close they are to certain board members. This carries over to the discipline of students with a certain select few getting to do as they please while others are harshly punished for the silliest transgression. The Dean of Students has no public school experience and all the administrators seem to toady to what ever parent or board member they fear most. Check out how the middle school CSAP scores fell last year!

Posted October 3, 2010

I am very happy with Flagstaff. It has a lovely campus and a strong philosophy. I like the technology that my child has been exposed to. I think the school has strong leaders and good teachers. My only concern is the large amount of homework my child struggles with.

Posted June 18, 2010

This school is horribly run!! We had our children here for four years thinking that the administration and the teachers would get their act together but unfortunately it has gotten worse. Their policy of ignoring true student and teacher issues is appalling. They are more concerned about their image than students! Next year we are moving our children to TPCA. Sorry Flagstaff but you had your chance and you blew it! We will never recommend your school to other parents.

Posted May 4, 2010

Flagstaff is amazing. We live in Niwot and our kids attended that school for a few years - what a disappointment! Niwot, like some other district schools, is so CSAP focused. Flagstaff's curriculum & instruction is rich and focused and lasts even after CSAPs are over. We have a middle schooler and two elem kids - all have had outstanding experiences and one son left Niwot reading below grade level and finished his first year at Flagstaff above grade level and has excelled every year since. The leadership is what you would find in any innovative school or company.

Posted April 15, 2010

I'm the parent of 2 kids attending Flagstaff. I enrolled one of my children with very high hopes that he would be able to overcome some issues he had been dealing with at our local school. Our local school didn't seem to care or want to help him at all. After attending Flagstaff for 2 years these issues are no longer evident. I now have a very happy child who gets great grades and loves learning and being challenged. Flagstaff seems to have a very talented staff of teachers that care so much about each child and every special situation. With such great staff and a beautiful new building, parking issues are a problem I can overlook. As far a fundraising, I will gladly donate to a school that works so hard to prepare my child so well for their future. I don't feel obligated at all.

Posted April 13, 2010

I am a 2nd year parent of an elementary student and a middle school student. I am very pleased with the curriculum and the staff. My children are challenged academically and the teachers also seem to be aware of and working on all of the difficult social issues for these ages. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted April 13, 2010

We have three children in Flagstaff Academy and they have attended for two years. We are very happy with the challenging curriculum and hands on learning experience offered to the students. The core curriculum is developing a solid educational foundation. There is such a positive energy from students, parent, and especially the teachers. The teachers are focused on the students and show a strong desire to help the students develop a love of learning!

Posted April 12, 2010

My children have been at Flagstaff since day one. I have found that Flagstaff's programmings is strong and relevant to the different levels of learning of both my children. There's always assumption or accusation around ANY charter school board or administration, and the need for transparency but if parent would just go to all the meetings (board, pto, parent coffee, etc). The information they want is there and on the website as well, not just with Flagstaff but with Twin Peaks or any charter school in Colorado.

Posted April 10, 2010

This school is a joke! They push and push for more $$ in donations and fundraisers but you never seem to get a completely clear answer where the $$ goes, and when you do its for dumb stuff like a teachers espresso bar or the advertising/PR budget. I also like how the school is trying to downplay the legal suit from their HOA about their parking issues. Any parent who picks up their child knows that the school completely flubbed up the parking!! There is something seriously wrong with this school!!

Posted March 31, 2010

Last year my husband and I moved our family to Longmont and enrolled our son in Flagstaff. When we took the tour we felt that we were making a wonderful choice for our son but learned shortly after what a mistake we had made. Teachers were showing 'The Patriot' in english w/o parent permission and thinking it was alright; classes were being skipped or moved around constantly; kids were sneaking out of the building and hanging out behind the school; bullies were never reprimanded in any way... it was the worst year academically that our son has ever experienced because he was taught so little and by unexperienced teachers and staff. This year our son has attended TPCA and I have to say that it is like night and day. I beg any new parents to look around... don't drink the kool-aid from this school!!

Posted March 29, 2010

Flagstaff Academy does have some really nice students, staff and parents associated with. Unfortunately the administrators seem to have gone crazy in doing everything to keep kids and parents who are big money givers happy and to keep the precious test scores high. I know this is a problem with a lot of charter schools but this school year the Flagstaff board and administrators have gone over the edge.

Posted March 25, 2010

I have two kids at Flagstaff and while the curriculum is great and the facilities much improved, there is a huge amount of room for improvement. My biggest issue is the lack of respect shown to the kids by the teachers. Kids are not allowed to express their opinions, or defend themselves when accused of some minor transgression. My kids have frequently expressed frustration that they were wrongly accused of something for which hey received some sort of reprimand, but the teachers involved would not hear them out. I think that sets kids up to just accept their lot in life, rather than challenging wrongs. The school has been less than accommodating for my son who has ADHD. Budgets are tight in school districts for sure, and the school obviously does all it can to avoid incurring any additional costs in terms of testing and accommodations for kids with special needs.

Posted March 23, 2010

Flagstaff is a great school! My daughter couldn't be happier or more challenged. The scope of what she has learned in the past 7 months is amazing! What each parent needs to realize is that YOU are THE most important factor in your child's education--not the teacher and not the school. You can't just drop them off each morning and pick them up each afternoon and expect great things. Become more involved in your child's life and a bit less involved in your own--the results could surprise you! Children are a product of their environment. Parents need to stop looking for someone else to blame and become more pro-active in fixing their own problems. If you thing Flagstaff is doing you wrong, then by all means, please, take your child elsewhere. We think Flagstaff is exceptional.

Posted March 21, 2010

Flagstaff has been a great experience for our child. I have nothing to say, but wonderful things about the school. If your child needs a challenge, and/or is bored or uninterested in the curriculum of the traditional public school, then this could be the place for them. I would urge those that are in question to go and check it out. There is a reason that parents camped out over night in 10 degree weather to get their kids in for the 2010/11 school year.

Posted March 21, 2010

My children currently attend Flagstaff and have been at this school for over 3 years. We have seen it have it's good and bad moments over this time period. My husband and I were hoping that with the new building that things might get better, but really I think it has actually gotten worse. They seem to cater to more affluent parents and their children in order to manipulate more donations for their school. It amazes me how much money we have shelled out without seeing any results! Also, the post which stated that this school has a bullying problem is absolutely correct because even my children who seem pretty social and have plenty of friends have experienced it with no results from the school. I would NOT recommend this school to any family, and come next year my children will definitely not be attending this school.

Posted March 19, 2010

As a parent of a child that I pulled from this school, I agree with the previous poster as the 'wave' of posts is suspicious for the same reasons stated. I will say that the level of professionalism I experience with my child's current school in the district is superior to what I ever experienced with Flagstaff, and I share that only because I now have a basis for comparison.

Posted March 7, 2010

I have two elementary children at Flagstaff, and have been there for four years. I am also a very involved parent, volunteering in excess of 80 hours per year. I believe Flagstaff is providing an excellent education to both, one who is twice-exceptional (very gifted and ADHD). The science-based core knowledge curriculum is very challenging and both have what I used to consider excessive amounts of homework to do on a regular basis. We have gotten used to it, and these two will be well prepared for the load required of an International Baccalaureate course of study. Communications from the school do require parents to seek out information on-line, and while this can be cumbsome, it is always available. It was the first school in the district to use Infiite Campus (on-line grade-keeping system) so I always know how my kids are performing academically. The best public school in the district.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 58% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Female75%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A41%
Male 50%N/A51%
Female 50%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Kitchen

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2040 Miller Dr.