Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 01, 2015
Homework is not "given". Students may pursue and share their interests and projects in both home and school.

Posted July 01, 2015
The Patchwork School encourages people, regardless of age, to come together with their needs and ideas and express themselves. Behaviors that impact others, or the environment are supported compassionately, while validating all perspectives. Conflict resolution is mediated by peers and/or staff until everyone reaches consensus, at the vary least a solution is tried and then reevaluated. All feelings are excepted, and listened to until their expression can be offered through Non-Violent Communication. Students experience their right to contribute to the community everyday, through self initiated plans, community offerings and community responsibilities. Community members care for multiple animals and contribute to the wider community weather through student initiated visits to perform at geriatric facilities, trips to the wildlife sanctuary or petitioning for the legalization of chickens in Louisville. Most importantly youth are trusted to learn at their own pace that which will serve their development as whole individuals with varied strengths and weaknesses. Young people learn how to find information and support. They are motivated by intrinsic passion to overcome challenges that stand in their way and are willing to ask for help because they have experienced non judgement. The Patchwork School advocated for The Rights of The Child. In order to do that work, staff and parents are supported deeply through the work of reflection in order to shift to this new paradigm. Patchwork offers Parent and Teachers Resource Groups and communication workshops in order to support the adults in combating the isolation that is typical of their roles. Adults connect with others so that they may unwind their stories and be more present to those in their care. Young people are seen as capable and connected and any off track behavior is seen as the expression of an unmet need that the community will work to support. I am grateful that my children have a safe place to grow together, in community, and are trusted in their every ability, cared for deeply in their hardest times as well as celebrated when they shine. Now, if only teachers and Non-Profits could earn a sustainable living they could really change the world for future generations! My wish is for our passion project to be experienced by those who choose to honor their children's ability to learn at their own pace.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 22, 2015
Patchwork nourishes the sense of fairness that kids (and all of us humans) crave through the respect and integrity of the teachers and democratic environment.

Posted June 22, 2015
My son has been part of Patchwork K-12 for 3 years and it has been a really good experience for him and our family. Patchwork is his second family and community. All of the children are treated with great respect and are cherished for the unique beings that they are and they master the basics of relationship, communication and negotiation that many adults have never learned.

Posted March 14, 2015
I could not be happier that we found the Patchwork for my son. It has been monumental in his development socially and academically as well as for his overall happiness. Watching his connection to others and love for learning blossom and grow over the years has been priceless, and having the ability to have choices in his education has allowed him to discover his own interests and become who he really is on this journey. It's obvious that the teachers and staff truly care and have each students well-being at heart.

Posted March 14, 2015
We have been going to The Patchwork School for a over 3 years now and there are not enough words for how much we love it. The blend of democratic education, non-violent communication, and the Reggio Emilia philosophy really meets the needs of the whole child. It is important to me that my child not only learn to be able to express his feelings and be able to handle conflict resolution in a way that feels good to him and others, but also like who he is and feel like all his feelings are workable. This is the kind of support that I think will shape who he is and his relationship with others and himself for the positive. We also appreciate the organic way that learning happens and the way the inner wisdom of the children are fostered. As we have been interested in things the teachers go above and beyond by really diving into feeding the hunger for information and learning. The support for parents is above and beyond anything I could have ever expected. I am part of the Parenting Resource Group and it has been a life saver. PRG truly supports me to live in a authentic way and allows me to look at and work thru my stuff and in turn be more loving and supportive to my family.

Posted February 04, 2015
We love Patchwork! The teachers are caring, patient and really want to know my kids. The students learn how to handle "real life" situations through critical thinking of the whole group. Rules are explained logically, never just because an adult said so. My son has wonderful interpersonal and emotional skills thanks to Patchwork, and these are areas usually ignored by traditional schools.

The Patchwork School 4

Posted February 04, 2015
I am grateful to have found Patchwork School. I appreciate how they create a learning environment that is conducive to stages in our children's brain development. The sense of community and the support in parenting is excellent. My child enjoys each day they go to Patchwork and has an enriching experience with a lot of joy to report back to us. The only thing that is tough is that they require us to provide 9 snacks a year as well as contribute time to clean. This can be tough on any busy family, and to an extent, feels unreasonable considering the cost to attend.

Posted February 02, 2015
Patchwork is amazing. You simply will never find a group of teachers more dedicated, interested and in tune with your child. We have been elsewhere and toured dozens of schools and we never experienced the quality that we do at Patchwork.

Posted February 01, 2015
Dropping your kid off at Patchwork feels like dropping them at a long-time friend's house. There's a strong sense of community, the kids love it, and the teachers love the kids like family. It may not be for everyone though - if you don't want your kid coming home dirty and tired, think about a more traditional school.

1428 Main Street, Louisville, CO  80027