Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

Discipline of students is rare and very lenient. I feel we need consistant rules and disciplines.

Develops character: Agree

I think now that we have a wonderful counselor in place at the school it will keep getting better and it has come a long long way this year.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

No homework for older students is going to be hard on them in middle school and I think it also keeps parents more informed of how they are doing.

There are plenty of issues within the school but there are also things I am so please with. My child has the best counselor here that he has ever had throughout years of therapy in and out of school. The growth I have seen that is because of his sessions with Miss Kilgour is astounding and for the first time also I get regular updates on his progress and parenting help and tips for home. The quality of counseling and the way she works with parents and teachers too is above and beyond, and I am so thankful because I don't know where we would be without Miss Kilgour in our lives.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have never before in my life seen a more hard working, positive group of people who are all dedicated to reaching and changing young people's lives. The teachers at Monroe are constantly striving to improve their own skills through formal education, self assessment and collaboration between one another.

Amount of homework: Agree

Monroe is constantly reevaluating all its academic practices, and homework load for students is no exception. Just this year, changes to the way homework looks was changed based on the research done by a committee within the school over the summer. The data said that the only true facilitator of growth for students and homework is to make sure that they are reading (or for the very youngest, being read to) every night. So that's our mandatory homework. Supplementing that is a list of activities called Extended Learning Opportunities which every child receives every month. These activities vary based on grade level, but our son's list this month includes "ask a grownup for a handful of change, and find as many ways as you can to make a dollar", and "go to the grocery store with your grownup, find a food you've never eaten, and help your grownup make a new and different meal with this ingredient. Then write about what you did and how it tasted!" There are always 12-16 items on the list, and while they are not mandatory homework, at the end of the month the students bring in their completed ELOs and get recognized for the work they have done. So far, the word is that in every grade level, this kind of "homework" has been wildly successful.

Develops character: Strongly agree

As I said before in my longer comment, Monroe Elementary treats every student as an individual... all the teachers and staff work tirelessly to make sure that Monroe is a place where every student should be able to shine. Inclusive, open minded attitudes are fostered on a daily basis with formal instruction via the school counselor, but also by way of hundreds of personal interactions. Staff smile and make small talk with the students in the hallways, kids who have gone on to a higher grade level come back to their old teachers to check in and help out with the little kids, etc. Honesty, Integrity and Fairness are not measured by a test; one can see those qualities in action by just watching the school operate, as I do on a very regular basis.

We live in a district with terrible schools, so we chose to drive our son over thirty minutes every day to Thompson District's Monroe Elementary School once he began Kindergarten. He is now a 2nd grader. In the past 2.5 years, this school has been such an amazing part of helping our son grow and thrive; I truly do NOT know what we would do if we weren't supported by the incredible teachers and staff at Monroe. Our son needs to be met on many levels: he is in Gifted and Talented for his excellence reading, on an IEP for speech, and is pulled out of class regularly into small groups with the school counselor to work on his social and emotional skills, which are lacking. He is all over the board with his needs, and at every step of the way, the staff at Monroe has been there to give him exactly what he needs. We could not be happier with our choice to place our son at this school, and I'm saddened to see what a low score this school has... If you have any doubts, please come and see these teachers in action. Come talk with our principal, Kathy, who has her sleeves rolled up and is constantly working to make the environment at Monroe as safe, inclusive, and enjoyable as possible in order to create the best learning environment for her students. This is a school that faces a lot of challenges demographically... they are not in a high income area, they do not have all the resources they would like, but I am telling you from first hand experience, this school makes miracles happen every day, mainly due to the tireless attention and love that every staff member gives to each and every student. Every child in the building is treated as an individual, with specific needs to be met and goals to be set. No one is left in the shadows. No one is forgotten here. The students are taught from day one that Monroe is a place where they can be safe and loved, while also being challenged to grow to their maximum potential. We will be forever indebted to this school for the love and devotion they have shown our son, and as an Early Education Professional, it warms my heart to know that this school will be around long after we have left it, making the lives of every child who attends better and more meaningful.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Monroe with it's Mighty Mustang program encourages children to develop these character traits by rewarding these behaviors.

I am loving Monroe. The teachers and staff truly care about each child and it shows in the hard work they put in for their students. My son loves going to school and his teacher is very communicative and open with information about his time at school. The principal Kathy is also a great asset and works very hard on behalf of both the students and teachers at the school. We would choice into this school if it were not our home school.

Last modified Monroe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.