Public charter
Northglenn, CO
Students enrolled: 4,100

Posted January 18, 2013
This is an amazing school because the teachers really do care, they are always striving to keep students involved and keep parents involved, they have various clubs and school activities aside from school work itself. No school is easy, so I'm not sure why one person is bickering on the work load. This school is amazing because students are entitled to a flexible schedule that works personally for them, while even if they miss out on class meetings they can still view recordings of them. Teachers and staff here work very hard to help students become the best they can be whether that be through k-mails or phone calls, they really do genuinely want the students to succeed.

Colorado Virtual Academy 4

Posted January 16, 2013
My children have been enrolled at COVA for 9 years. The curriculum is rigorous and challenging and will give your child an excellent education - but it takes hard work on the part of the child and the parents. In the last two or three years and now that my kids are in high school, the staff has tried to be much more hands on and group participation is required. This is not our style so we will be looking for something else next year. If you put some effort in and are willing to work within the rules - your child will get a superior education at COVA.

Posted January 15, 2013
COVA is by far the best choice when reviewing virtual schools in Colorado. Do not be confused or fooled by the statistics reference above, as a majority of kids (like mine) choose to attend COVA when they have tried making it work their regular school. What these websites should post is the number of times my son was bullied, beat up, or came home from school in tears last year compared to this year now enrolled in COVA. I can tell you, you'd be reading a very different overview of what this school continues to do for families like mine. My son is not afraid anymore. He enjoys interracting with his classmates. You should be ashamed of yourselves if you support the requset to deny a supporting charter, as you are denying the 4600 students who came to COVA for situaions like my son's. In addtion, I'd totally agree with those who state "you get what you put in". For High School students who are used to easier open book multiple choice exams, this isn't comparable. The curriculum is rigorous, and challenges both my son and I on a daily basis - in a good way.

Posted January 15, 2013
After doing this school with 2 of my sons, one in middle school and one in high school, I can tell you it is NOT going to provide them an education. It will give your student an excessive workload, and basically prevent them from getting an A in anything because of faulty test questions that you have to complain to the teacher about to get the grade corrected (if you get lucky enough to have a teacher who will take the time and has the cognitive ability to review the question for correctness - good luck with that). Did this happen once? Yes at least once on EVERY quiz and test. This school is not for anybody.

Posted January 09, 2013
This is my first year with COVA, and so far, it has been a major disappointment and an overall headache. I am a junior in the program and I can honestly say that this is one of the worst schooling programs that I have ever been involved with. I have been to private schools and public schools, as well as being homeschooled, and COVA is at the bottom of the heap. All throughout high school, I was an A student. I was in honors classes, I was excelling, and I genuinely loved school. This all changed when I started COVA. The teachers are not helpful, let alone friendly, and the majority of them seem to not even know what they're teaching. Many of the "computer scored" tests are faulty and the Spanish language program is an absolute joke. This curriculum has caused more grief between my parents and me than anything else in my life. I went from straight A's (and one B) to mostly B's. The workload is stifling. This is especially bad because this is my junior year and this is the year that colleges are looking at. I pray that this all works out. Please go with some other program, I beg you. I would NOT recommend COVA to anyone. This is absolutely my final year.

Posted January 08, 2013
I am a Junior at COVA, and I would like to share my experience with you. I have always been a top student (graduating my freshman and sophomore years with a 4.0 in other online schools), and I have always enjoyed school. COVA has changed all that. I start school at 7:30, and work until around 4-4:30. I submit quality work, but I have found that it is almost impossible to get constantly good grades. I study, and work very hard, but it all seems for not. The workload is ridiculous. Countless times I've looked up from a project and thought "Why am I doing this? This isn't benefiting me". COVA is a freight train. If you fall behind, or miss a day, you're lost. And it's almost impossible to make up what you've missed, and even if you do, you get heavily penalized for being late. The social events aren't good. I have no COVA friends. And worse of all, at the end of the day, there's no time for your non-school related passions. And if there is, you're too depressed or worried about school to enjoy doing it. Find a Co-op near you, or do Sonlight. This is really not good. And you can't leave COVA without an "F" on your transcript, no questions asked. Please think about something else!!

Posted December 11, 2012
I agree with the parents who say that you get what you put into it. We are very happy with COVA & my daughter says she is learning more now than when she went to regular public school. We end our school day way earlier than regular public school & have more time for family time & fun activities. It also allows for her to get ahead in subjects she excels in & spend some quality time working through the subjects she needs extra help in. The teacher is there for contact if you need help, though we haven't needed much. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Posted October 25, 2012
As a student I hate this school a lot, it's nice that you don't have to go anywhere/get up really early, but the teachers seem like they love getting you into trouble. I don't think I've ever gotten into anymore trouble at any other school more than COVA, because I've always been a decent student/person. I also find it is making me a little depressed that I am missing out on making new friends, getting very little socialization with anyone but the teachers. I haven't even had my first relationship with anyone yet, which makes me a little worried seeing as all my other friends have. The learning is there, but it's not as good as traditional school.

Posted September 18, 2012
After four weeks of school, my son did not have the laptop they promised at enrollment--or even a teacher. Additionally, we weren't called and emailed when we were told we would, and when we did receive communication it was largely inaccurate. COVA blamed K12 and K12 blamed COVA, but no one wanted to help solve any of the problems. As a parent, I'm terribly disappointed. As a taxpayer, I'm outraged.

Posted September 18, 2012
Is there a way to give zero stars? They should make that option for COVA. The only thing we liked was the organized way the lessons are planned, but we never got a teacher to help us when there were questions or problems...and boy were there questions and problems! I would say they were mistaken about a lot of things, but when it happens that often, it feels like they're just downright lying. I think they're only in it for the money.

Colorado Virtual Academy
11990 Grant Street, Suite 402, Northglenn, CO  80233
Last modified Colorado Virtual Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Colorado Virtual Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top