Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My child is finishing their last year at this school and I couldnt be happier. This school has gone down hill very quickly. As others have said it is over populated allowing children who need more help to slip through the cracks. My daughter also spent two grades out in a trailer for her classroom with no bathroom which meant the kids had to walk up to the main building and ring the bell for a locked door to be opened to come inside. Completely unsafe. The lunch times are short and crowded and have lunch ladies who are rude and made my child cry on several occasions. The worst yet is that my child started being bullied in the end of the year this year and even though ive brought it to their attention someone called safe to tell and brought it to their attention theyve dont nothing to stop it. They " spoke to" the children involved which sid nothing because after being told to stop the kids started puttinf "anonymous" notes in her desk as if we have no clue who it was. The vice prinicpal told me shed " investigate" as she likes to call it but ive yet to hear back from her all. This is after I myself had to go into the school to talk to them about her being physically harmed by these kids and not recieving a call even after I left them a message about it. KEEP YOUR CHILDREN AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL! It really is too bad that the admistration staff is so bad because there are a few wonderful teachers here but they unfortunately cant make up for all the down falls of this school.

The 504 and Health care plan are only partially being followed. VERY large class sizes and not enough focus on students as a result of overcrowding. For 2 months there was no work sent home or papers graded. No way to assess what your child is learning or how they are doing. Our child was new to the school and we discovered after 2 full months of school that the teacher had not told us- or noticed- our child wasn't receiving work she needed to do and it does affects her grades. I much prefer a school that focus more on students to ensure they are understanding the material all through our the year. Also we prefer that homework and graded work be sent home to parents. Especially since our child was missing school from illness and medical reasons- make up work should be included to insure the all childrens grades and education are being put first. I prefer a school that follows the 504 medical and Health care plan and not just what works best for the school. Also an extremely Strict attendance policy even if your child has medical reasons. We received zero make up work for the time our daughter missed until after I reached out and asked now we are cramming to catch up! Never had this issue at any other school. I can only assume it is to the very large class size and probably overworked teachers. We have tried to make these things work for our child. The lunch time is very short and our daughter has brought that up as well as other parents I see. Our child wakes up at 7-7:30 am and needs additional rest due to medical reasons. The school never wanted to accommodate us and that is a shame. We are having our child go to another school next year. This was not a good fit for our family

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Our child has ADHD (hyperactivity) but gets good grades and has no learning disabilities. She just requires more explaining and/or repeating as she hears 50% of what you say. With her 504 and Health care plan there is supports for her Hyperactivity and for her rare disease. The school refused to honor that our child needs more sleep and needs to come in late. They offer times of rest and that is a joke as it does not solve the problem as she just needs more sleep at night. It has caused us much stress and we have actually had to change my husbands work schedule for the last month of school to try and help our child further. She is still late at times and absent due to her conditions. We refuse as parents to a child with 2 medical conditions to wake our child up when she needs the sleep. She she needs her sleep and wakes up at 7-7;30 am. Clearly we can not have our child to school by 7:30 am with her sleep pattern at times.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

We had received a couple of negative emails regarding our child's 504 medical plan for her rare disease and her attendance. I was treated poorly and not apologized to.. Unprofessional and rude to assume you know more than the parents about a child who is classified as having a rare disease. The Nurse Barb T was the only professional in the matter.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Being a new student at the end of the year: our child was overlooked for 2 months as the teacher didn't let us or her know she needed to be doing her site words daily. Our daughter didn't know they needed to come home in her backpack and they sat in her desk while all other students work on theirs daily and got new ones. She didn't say anything to us as we found out on our own! How could a teacher not know your child isn't doing their work for 2 months?? She never apologized eaither. Doesn't completely follow the 504 and Healthy Care plan. They former schools teacher did follow it.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

There is no homework but reading daily and site words. No chance to see returned papers graded to see what you child needs to work on. No work sent home to help your child to understand and/or solidify the work.

I agree with the reviews on the teaching staff, they are great. Now for the ugly truth. The class sizes are horrible. They are stuffed in like sardines and if a child needs a little one on one , its not going to happen .The lunches ARE too short, and further down the line these kids will most likely have GI problems. Now for assessment test. They have MULTI assessment test all year. If you don' t live in the walking distance and can't make it because they do not have the busses for assessment days they count your child absent for the entire day. Another way to keep a lower income child ..is no car...from taking the test and penalizing them for it..They also now that that will give them a higher than average overall test scores. Causing the the state and Federal government to pat them on the back. It's an unjust district to penalized the not so fortunate child that doesn't live near and has to bus and they don't. SHAME on the district.

Safety is a concern. Parking lot and traffic is horrible. Administration is biased and treats families unfairly. Many behavior issues in classes that are not being addressed and effecting my child's education and safe surroundings.

I rate this school 2/5 because I learn a lot, which is good but there are many flaws at my school. SOME (not all) teachers do not respect kids. Their punishments are inapropriate like embarrassing the students or yelling at them. I understand that kids do need a punishment for their wrong actions, but these punishments lower self esteem, which in a way can be bullying. Another reason is the lunch time. The lunch time given at this school is 10 minutes - does ARE know that the state law says the minimum time for lunch period is 20 minutes?! The staff here are nice and the principal, and most teachers. But these issues are not suitable for kids 5-11.

This has been a great school for our son, who has attended K-3 thus far. The teachers are fabulous (*especially* Mrs. Robbins and Mrs. Schoolmeester!) and really try to connect with their students and provide a nurturing learning environment for them. The principal, Mr. Gerzon, is wonderful -- very hands-on, approachable, and caring. The school also seems to be fiscally responsible and transparent with keeping parents informed of where budget money is allocated/spent. My small(ish) complaints about the school would be: limited gifted/talented program to keep my son challenged, long drop-off lines (especially for K-2 students), number of students per class has been in the "larger" range (28+ per class). But, all in all, a wonderful school!

Last modified Arapahoe Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.