East Haven, CT

Posted March 31, 2012
I wanted to like this school and sent my son there with hesitation. It has not been a good year. The security is the hardest working faction of the school. The Principal is rarely available, the teachers do not return calls or emails. The online grade program is only as good as the teachers who keep it updated, and most of them do not seem to so I never really have an idea of the grades for my son. The Digital Arts Academy is a complete joke and most kids have dropped out of the program. The tutoring program no longer exists because I'm told the teachers would not do it. If you have a bright and motivated child, of course your child will do well here and anywhere else. If your child needs guidance, assistance, and may be easily led, this is not the school for your child. The Board of Education is weak, and they still cannot figure out why they are more than half a million underspent. The sports program uses up taxpayer money and does not produce results. The athletes are targets for discipline because they are the only students that may be motivated by discipline. Despite the town's troubles with race and culture challenges, there does not seem to be an effort to teach.

Posted November 04, 2009
Both my children started their education in catholic school, they both decided not to continue their education at a Catholic High School and wanted to go to the Public High School in their town. They transistioned wonderfully, my daughter graduated in the top 10 of her class and my son is currently a junior and doing well. The teachers, counselors, etc. have always been supportive and helpful to my children and us.

Posted August 31, 2009
Why do people always blame the school? My daughter is doing very well academically there. You get what you put into your education. You could do to a school in an elite community, and the drug and alcohol use there would make a less elite community seem wonderful.

East Haven High School 5

Posted February 18, 2009
I had 4 Children Graduate from EH, I must say the Teacher's care very deeply about the students, If I had a problem with one of my Kids they were extremely helpful in resolving the problems.and they treat all cultures or backgrounds the same. it is not an Italian community. and the school is not small at all. if anything it's state of the Art. Very nice school to send your child, they care very much for the kids well being.

Posted February 16, 2009
This school is very racist and administration refuses to initiate any typeo f cultural diversity training. It is a small school in a very small Italian community and the 'good ole' boy feeling echoes loudly through the halls. This school is pathetic

East Haven High School 5

Posted October 20, 2008
Of course, like any other school EHHS has some problems. But overall it is an awesome school! Most teachers at the school are very caring about their students, they truely want to see their students succeed in life. They make a connection with them on a personal level which not many teachers do. As an EHHS graduate this personal connection with teachers helped me greatly. They were always their to help you in whatever you could possibly need. As for preparing me for college, I could not have been better prepared because of the help from several staff members. For some reason so many people believe EHHS is a horrible school. But, the school has helped many kids with their futures. The school probably gets so many bad reviews because peoples opinions mainly come out when they've had a negative experience. People haven't gotten to see the many great experiences!!

Posted June 18, 2008
This school is horrible. The school does not have any teachers that pay attention to their students, also the school needs to actually figure out the problems with the children and getting the facts before suspending them .

Posted October 30, 2007
East Haven high school has consistently performed among the worst public schools beyond the inner cities. Sports are a greater priority than academics, and the school doesn't achieve in either domain. The teaching is poor, prone to low expectations which are inconsistently met. The college graduation rate is below average. If you want your kid to be prepared for college, or simply to receive an adequate high school education, avoid this school.

East Haven High School 4

Posted October 14, 2007
My child is a freshman this year and is very happy. Coming from another state where every class was over crowded this school is already ahead with small class sizes. There is plenty of extracurricular activities for any child to participate in. Language, choir, guitar, track and field and cheerleading are among the activities she is involved in. You will get out of high school what you want to get out of it. The only negative I do have is that on open house 3 of the teachers did not show, that did send a negative message I thought.

Posted October 03, 2006
My daughter graduated in 2000 and I must say, I sure do hope EHHS has come a long way since then. I can remember her having COPIES of her math book because they couldn't afford the books, EHHS needs a little guidance and maybe it would be going somewhere!

35 Wheelbarrow Ln, East Haven, CT  06513
Last modified East Haven High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Haven High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top