Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

We are only halfway through kindergarten so obviously, we have a ways to go and this has been my first public school experience having only dealt with pre-school before-but I must say that so far both my husband and I are very impressed. Our son loves school, loves the teachers and staff including the principal who to me seems great. Not sure what others are complaining about-she seems very invested in knowing the kids and making the school a safe and warm place. She does have a quirky sense of humor-perhaps if you have no sense of humor you will not like her? Any inquiry I have made or email I have sent has been answered right away with a thoughtful response and in just 4 months of kindergarten my son is reading, writing and spelling in a way I did not expect so soon. if that doesn't speak for the school doing a good job I don't know what does...

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The Principal has such a large impact on the teachers and their ability to teach and effect the children in positive ways, it is very difficult for the good teachers to be effective., There used to be many great teachers at this school, but that number is dwindling, due to the good ones leaving. There are many young, inexperienced teachers there now who simply follow what the Principal demands of them for fear of losing their jobs or being singled out by the Principal.

This school has been on a very steep decline since the change over in Principals about 4 years ago. The present Principal is inappropriate and crosses the line with students, parents and staff. This has created an extremely negative environment for all. Very sad.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The students receive very little homework and they move on to middle school VERY unprepared for the an=mount of homework they receive in MS. They are not well prepared and are then overwhelmed.

Luckily, we decided to rent until we found the best fit for our family. We feel Fairfield is a good fit, but not Riverfield. Even with the high rating, there is nothing interesting about this school. There is a lack of communication between the school and families. In fact, I have even been told, "oh, that's initiation" what am I doing, going out for a fraternity? I want to know what's going on with my kids and be involved, not left out! Even though my 1st grader is reading 3rd grade level, the teacher insists my child should be reading the 1st grade level books given. We make weekly trips to the library to fill the gap. My child loves school, friends, learning, but is ultimately board with the work given at school and does amazing work at home to fill the void. And the art teacher gives preschool like projects to the students! Learning colors in 1st grade, what?? Both my kids learned colors at age 2. I spoke with parents from other schools in the area, it sounds like much more interesting things are happening at a handful of other Fairfield schools. This has led me to make the decision to home school next year. Oh, the PE teacher is excellent, that's something.

Riverfield completely failed my child. She is dyslexic and they refused to test her with the claim "she'll catch up, she's young". She came in to kindergarten with letters from her preschool teachers stating that while she was " bright and socially on par with peers, some piece was missing as she wasn't learning incidentally as the other children were". I made a written request for a PPT and they offered her reading support. After a miserable 2 years with Riverfield I pulled her and her lie self esteem out of there and brought her to Coleytown in Westport. They, without my even asking, figured out there was" something missing" and asked our permission to test her. Turns out she has a very high IQ yet is dyslexic. Will start fourth grade next year and is back to the happy, confident girl who knows while it will always be a struggle to read and write, she is learning strategies to assist her in the best possible way. Thank god we were able to move her. If you have a " mainstream" child I'm sure it's a great school. If your child is a different learner or struggling, try somewhere else.

I hate this school! The principal is rude and into power, also the teachers are horrible. Some of the worst teachers I've ever had have been here. I am gifted and this school does not challenge me or do and better with special need children. I have 6 staff members that currently work here that are rude. This school is all about unnecessary discipline also we spend about 20% of are time doing patriotic things. There is nothing wrong with that they are just forcing beliefs on us. The principal makes my friends and I feel horrible for doing nothings its like she's following you when your trying to learn. Some staff members have been so crazy that I come home and cry and complain to my parents they try to take action against the teacher but she just punishes me for it. I feel so bad for the special need children they are always being yelled at like they can help it. I am so glad that i wwill no longer be at this school next year i hate it somebody needs to do something about these teachers and the principal.

As a teacher in another district with kids at this school I can attest that Riverfield has its act together! The faculty and staff are professional, caring, and there is a great sense of community. The new principal has clearly instilled a proactive attitude when it comes to addressing student needs. I was thrilled to hear from my son's reading intervention teacher on the FIRST day of school. This school is definitely moving in the right direction.

Riverfield Elementary is a an amazing school. The teachers are extremely professional and well connected to the students needs. The new principle is has formalized the curriculum for all grades and worked hard to achieve the best learning environment for the students. As a parent there is a great community feel and plenty of opportunities to be involved or volunteer.

As a former Elementary School teacher, this is the worst school I've ever experienced. I have 4 chikdren and we've moved throughout the US And now have my youngest in 3rd grade at riverfield . Her teacher is burnt out and agitated and even short with me when I try to reach out. My daughter is very shy and really takes it personally when the teacher scolds the special needs children constantly. She's also so distracted with other teachers coming into help children who need help. I thought every class was inclusion but seems like hers is filled with behavioral boys. Maybe this is why her teacher is so frustrated. The Principal ought to spend time in each class to see how the children are being treated. This is the gossip of the town nut no one wants to step forward! I would have bought my home in another school district if I knew what goes on here. They're academically behind also but that's not the worst problem. Do not go there. It will take the new Principal years to fire all of the terrible staff.

Last modified Riverfield School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.