Fairfield, CT

Posted June 23, 2014
Riverfield completely failed my child. She is dyslexic and they refused to test her with the claim "she'll catch up, she's young". She came in to kindergarten with letters from her preschool teachers stating that while she was " bright and socially on par with peers, some piece was missing as she wasn't learning incidentally as the other children were". I made a written request for a PPT and they offered her reading support. After a miserable 2 years with Riverfield I pulled her and her lie self esteem out of there and brought her to Coleytown in Westport. They, without my even asking, figured out there was" something missing" and asked our permission to test her. Turns out she has a very high IQ yet is dyslexic. Will start fourth grade next year and is back to the happy, confident girl who knows while it will always be a struggle to read and write, she is learning strategies to assist her in the best possible way. Thank god we were able to move her. If you have a " mainstream" child I'm sure it's a great school. If your child is a different learner or struggling, try somewhere else.

Posted March 12, 2014
I hate this school! The principal is rude and into power, also the teachers are horrible. Some of the worst teachers I've ever had have been here. I am gifted and this school does not challenge me or do and better with special need children. I have 6 staff members that currently work here that are rude. This school is all about unnecessary discipline also we spend about 20% of are time doing patriotic things. There is nothing wrong with that they are just forcing beliefs on us. The principal makes my friends and I feel horrible for doing nothings its like she's following you when your trying to learn. Some staff members have been so crazy that I come home and cry and complain to my parents they try to take action against the teacher but she just punishes me for it. I feel so bad for the special need children they are always being yelled at like they can help it. I am so glad that i wwill no longer be at this school next year i hate it somebody needs to do something about these teachers and the principal.

Posted September 04, 2013
As a teacher in another district with kids at this school I can attest that Riverfield has its act together! The faculty and staff are professional, caring, and there is a great sense of community. The new principal has clearly instilled a proactive attitude when it comes to addressing student needs. I was thrilled to hear from my son's reading intervention teacher on the FIRST day of school. This school is definitely moving in the right direction.

Posted June 03, 2013
Riverfield Elementary is a an amazing school. The teachers are extremely professional and well connected to the students needs. The new principle is has formalized the curriculum for all grades and worked hard to achieve the best learning environment for the students. As a parent there is a great community feel and plenty of opportunities to be involved or volunteer.

Posted November 21, 2012
As a former Elementary School teacher, this is the worst school I've ever experienced. I have 4 chikdren and we've moved throughout the US And now have my youngest in 3rd grade at riverfield . Her teacher is burnt out and agitated and even short with me when I try to reach out. My daughter is very shy and really takes it personally when the teacher scolds the special needs children constantly. She's also so distracted with other teachers coming into help children who need help. I thought every class was inclusion but seems like hers is filled with behavioral boys. Maybe this is why her teacher is so frustrated. The Principal ought to spend time in each class to see how the children are being treated. This is the gossip of the town nut no one wants to step forward! I would have bought my home in another school district if I knew what goes on here. They're academically behind also but that's not the worst problem. Do not go there. It will take the new Principal years to fire all of the terrible staff.

Posted September 21, 2012
i went to this school and it was one of the worst periods of my life. This was 20 years ago plus but as I plan the life and set the educational goals for my child, this experience is my guide on what to NOT do. The lack of cultural diversity and sensitivity, dismissive attitude of the facility, and poor leadership will forever be with me. I had a couple of family members attend this school and they had the same experience. Hopefully they have made some fundamental changes within Riverfield. I attended K-6 and remember the dred I felt at the beginning of each school year, and how the reckless and insensitive behavior of the teachers and principal made me feel as a young person. An experience I will never forget but am thankful becuase I know very clearly what I will not tolerate for my daughter and what to look for in a school overall.

Posted January 29, 2012
For all you high star raters... if this school is so great, then why does it continue to fail the CT State Mastery Tests? This is the lowest performing school in our district. It's a shame, since the first 6 years set a student up for higher levels of learning later in life..

Posted October 01, 2011
One of the worst experience in my child's educational career.They dropped the ball and did not give her the reading support she required which left her struggling behind her peers.Poor communication between parents and school.I could go on,but won't waste any more of my time on Riverfield.

Posted February 11, 2010
Excellent school!!!! Ask any Riverfield parent! This gem may be the best school in Fairfield - and that says a lot!! Amazing teachers. The ideal mix of parents, teachers, and staff working together to create a dynamic, rewarding atmosphere for learning.

Posted June 16, 2009
Great teachers, well-organized parents, neighborhood feel, and an excellent principal. Riverfield offers kids a great education and a wonderful experience of growing up.

Riverfield School
1625 Mill Plain Rd, Fairfield, CT  06824
Last modified Riverfield School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Riverfield School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top