No rating

The Stanwich School

Private | PK-12 | 375 students

Rigorous academics, traditional values, and an innovative spirit

Living in Greenwich

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $1,530,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,890.

Posted December 4, 2013

Stanwich is the hidden gem of Greenwich. As a current parent, I am absolutely convinced that this school will be widely regarded as the standard of excellence in the region within the next decade. This is a school with heart and spirit and has a terrific staff that will test the limits of your child while addressing individual needs. My husband and I can't believe the dramatic strides our son has made in a short period of time and can honestly say that we found a great home for him. I can't fully express our joy to see his excitement in going to school every morning. I wouldn't consider anywhere else for our younger children.

Posted December 3, 2013

I am thrilled with Stanwich. We moved from the UK with a 5 and 7 year old and this is the only school that was able to offer a comparable challenging education at this stage. Both children are thriving and being stretched. They have small classes and teachers that really seem to care and get to know this kids (admittedly not so hard in such small classes). The buildings aren't particularly pretty but the setting is stunning and there is lots of space to run around. My son thinks the biggest selling feature is the field trips.. that is nice but at the cost of US education I want learning and Stanwich has achieved that! we really couldn't be happier. And I have never written a school review before. As you can probably tell!

Posted October 13, 2013

Come on. The only school from Greenwich recognized by JHU? Riiiight. Only high school in Greenwich with *secondary school placement* advisor. Enough said.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 18, 2013

Our child switched from another school mid elementary. The math skills were very low, and we were concerned it was going to be a difficult climb. 3 years later with the steadfast devotion, commitment and teaching skills of the Stanwich teaching staff, we now have a child who is not only excelling in math, but was top of the math class last year and enjoyed an online course with Johns Hopkins this summer! At the end of the last school year I contacted the teacher from the Intermediate House, to let them know how grateful we were to have the opportunity for an outstanding education in Fairfield County. It is a wonderful institution that is committed to not only the student but the entire family. Highly recommend.

Posted May 17, 2013

The Board of Trustees is committed to a PreK to 12 , coed, school in Greenwich. Johns Hopkins rated the best 10 schools in Connecticut and Stanwich was the only one on the list from Greenwich. The teachers are passionate about what they do and truly care about the students. My family could not be happier!

Posted March 1, 2013

Stanwich is an outstanding school. My child is in his third year and absolutely loves it! Every afternoon he jumps in the car and can't wait to tell me about all of the wonderful things he has learned about or experienced during the day. We have had some of the most wonderful teachers who bring such a positive energy to the classroom and school. As a former teacher I am amazed by what is accomplished each and every day! We feel very fortunate to be able to be a part of this warm and welcoming community.

Posted November 23, 2012

Fantastic school. Values-based education is special. I am a parent of multiple children at Stanwich and am extremely happy with the school. The faculty and administration are first-rate and really care for my kids and all of the other children at the school. The academic curriculum is comparable in rigor to what is offered at other private schools in the area and my children are really excelling thanks to the top-notch faculty. The values-based curriculum is not just something that is printed in the brochures but is integrated into every aspect of school life, which is what really makes Stanwich special. This uniqueness about Stanwich comes from the top and is radiated through the outstanding administration and teachers of the school. The school offers a compelling academic program and the extra-curricular programs and sports are all growing in strength every year. My children are very happy at Stanwich and I could not imagine them anywhere else.

Posted November 23, 2012

Stanwich is an exceptional school that provides my children with excellent academics in a nurturing environment. Values are integrated not only into the curriculum but also into the daily interactions between students themselves and their teachers. The teachers took the time to get to know my children and embraced all aspects of them. I would highly recommend Stanwich.

Posted November 13, 2012

No school is perfect but this school is excellent in so many ways. Wonderful teachers that know your children and go the extra mile to help each student achieve their best. 2 of my children are college age and have moved on, 1 is still at Stanwich. The older children always tell her, "you will never have teachers like you had at Stanwich". Yes the school has faced some significant problems and challenges but things are moving forward. That is a testament to its strength. As for the "Questions to Ask" comment, if you were really informed you would know that the school purchased the facility from the Synagogue last June - the deal is done and they have moved out. I think it is sad when a person needs to bash an institution that helps children thrive just because it has moved on without them.

Posted November 11, 2012

Questions to ask if considering this school: 1. What are the details on the agreement with the synagogue? What could impact the current plans? 2. How and when will they raise $100 million for the high school? 3. By grade, what % of students leave and are replaced by new students each year? 4. Ask about bullying.... 5. What turnover has occurred in the board of trustees and major financial donors in the last several years? Is it comparable to other schools? Make an informed decision.

Posted November 7, 2012

The Stanwich School is a rare gem. This is my eight year old's second year and I've been amazed to watch him blossom from a shy, unconfident learner to an academic risk taker. Before attending Stanwich, my son was so overlooked by teachers at his prior public school, he complained of stomach aches and cried each morning that he didn't want to go to school. From the first day at Stanwich, my son felt a warm reception and the nurturing support of the staff. He is in the most advanced math and english groups in his grade and absolutely loves his teachers and fellow classmates. My husband and I are impressed with the rigorous academics at Stanwich which are consistently outperforming their peers. The innovative programs are propelling the students of all grades into leadership roles within our community. This school may be young but it's staff is savvy and committed and it is an institution that breaths it's mission statement, "Be the best you can be, help others do their best, and help make God's world a better place."

Posted November 7, 2012

Stanwich has been a wonderful place for my family. My children have received a top notch education and are surrounded by lovely children from nice families. They have some amazing teachers. We feel very fortunate to have this school in our area. I also must add that the school had a tough year last year. However, it is very clear that has been put behind us. Considering the school is only 14years old and has faced several obstacles(which by the way have to do with building the school and not the academics) it is an outstanding place. I always wonder about parents who leave a school they attended for a long time and then chose to bad mouth it. I will always be thankful for the confidence and education my children have received from Stanwich.

Posted November 7, 2012

My son is in his Freshman and 3rd year at Stanwich. Any parent knows the most difficult years in school are the Middle School age. I am truly grateful for how Stanwich managed those transition years by having caring, involved teachers. The smaller class sizes and individualized approach were a huge benefit and offered educational opportunities he would get no where else. The recent Head of School transition was handled very well with significant overlap and parent communication. The new Head has a great sense for the future of education and Stanwich.

Posted November 7, 2012

Stanwich educates a student's trifecta - mind, body and spirit. What more could a parent ask for? The academics are unparalleled, the athletics program is thriving with our new field, and the school's motto of "being our best and helping others be their best" is inspiring. We couldn't be happier with the school!

Posted November 6, 2012

As an alum of Stanwich School now completing his senior year of college, I must say that the Stanwich School has been the most impressive and meaningful academic experience in my life. The academics are held at a very high standard and are of a higher quality than its local competitors. I have siblings still at Stanwich and everytime I hear about the school, they are constantly innovating and improving their academic courses for the students. Innovation and improvements are shockingly rare at schools that have been around for much longer. On top of that, the teachers are of the highest quality. They not only are tremendous educators but they foster a meaningful relationship with each student through advisory meetings, coaching, or interactions in the classroom. You honestly feel that the teachers are incredibly supportive and want you to succeed. In other schools, that is not the case and teachers in other institutions would sooner dismiss a student than aid them. On top of its impressive academics and faculty, the values taught in this school are a constant presence from Pre-K to the highschool. No other school truly instills good values and values that are respected by all.

Posted November 6, 2012

Our kids have attended the primary house, the intermediate house and the upper school at Stanwich. We have been especially impressed with the intermediate house and the upper school. The classes are small which means the kids get a lot of individual attention, and the teachers know each of the students well enough to encourage them to reach their full potential. In our experience, the teachers have been very good, the curriculum has been challenging and well thought out, and the other students at the school have been nice and very respectful of each other and the faculty. We have been very pleased with the education our children have received at Stanwich. We have also been very pleased with the values that Stanwich has helped instill in our kids -- to be the best they can be, to help others to be the best they can be, and to make the world a better place. We highly recommend Stanwich.

Posted November 6, 2012

My family was attracted to The Stanwich School given its mission, nurturing community and character education. It is hard to focus on these aspects in a wealthy community like Greenwich, but Stanwich has done a great job in balancing academics and values . The Stanwich kids are good kids, happy kids. One of the biggest assets are the faculty, they are outstanding and they know our kids through all the grades. The walls may not be attractive, but what we like is what's inside the walls. That is what is having the impact on our children. It is a very welcoming community and I highly recommend the school to any family that is looking for an outstanding independent school experience for their children and their family.

Posted October 10, 2012

Stanwich was shockingly bad.I do not know why or how the school stays open.Poor academics,very poor teachers,and the bullying is accepted.The school should be closed.It was a faulty,misguided decision to even begin the school.Please do not send a child of any year there.You will be doing them a disservice.

Posted September 13, 2012

Stanwich is a wonderful school. I have four children who have attended Stanwich for the past 5 years and each and every day they look forward to school. The academics are rigorous and the sports and coaching is top notch. THe new Head of School is one of the most caring and talented academics I have ever encountered. The best part of the school is the faculty which is absolutely phenomenal. I cannot imagine sending my children anywhere else!

Posted September 13, 2012

Our two children have attended The Stanwich School for the past 5 years and we have found the school to be wonderful. The staff is second to none and the academics have been rigorous and have pushed my children to achieve their fullest potential. The parent community is very warm and welcoming to new families and there are many opportunities for parent involvement. I also like the values curriculum which gives the students a strong inner moral compass by which to live their lives. I am shocked by the comments from April and May of 2012 because I know the school has a zero tolerance on bullying. It is a very exciting time at Stanwich since the school just purchased the land and are about to build a state of the art facility. My husband and I looked at all of the private schools in the area when we applied 5 years ago and our son was accepted into many of them but Stanwich was by far the best choice for our family. There is no school I could recommend more!

Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 4%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Dutch
French
German
Italian
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
  • Paul Geise
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Independent Study
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
SAT/ACT prep classes