Middletown, CT

Posted April 01, 2014
Excellent school. My son is a Freshman and I can say that Xavier has exceeded my expectations. I had my reservatons at first, especially with the tuition cost, but I have a son who enjoys going to school (never thought I would say that), likes all his teachers, and is challenged with the academics. So very glad we made the choice and sacrifices to have him go there.

Posted March 19, 2014
My son is a freshman at Xavier, and I cannot say enough about what this school has done for him. Since entering Xavier last fall, he has completely turned around. He used to resist going to school; this year, he has only missed one day. His teachers are supportive and caring as is the administration. The structure and rigor of the school is exactly what my son needed. When we asked him what he liked about Xavier, he said, "The teachers really care about me." What doesn't he like? "It is a LOT of work." Sounds good to us!

Posted June 19, 2013
My son currently goes to Xavier. I can't say enough good about this school. It's unfortunate to see the negative comments BUT like any school it's not for everyone. My son has excelled there and has well exceeded both my expectations as well as my husbands ( who wasn't 100% sold on sending him there originally ). The teachers are ALWAYS available through email or spend many extra hours there before and after school. Coming from a very good public school district the change was actually a breathe of fresh air to meet new people and have some change of scenery. If you are considering sending your son to XAVIER I say do it BUT realize that things are just not going to fall into place for him it's ALOT of hard work and alot of effort and dedication. Welcome to life and the real world. My son knows how to manage his time and completely knows how to network accordingly based on whatever issue he is having. Good Luck. It is worth every penny.

Xavier High School 2

Posted June 28, 2012
Unless you have cash to burn or live in a city with a poor public high school, save your money for your child's college tuition. Xavier likes to promote the myth that its Catholic atmosphere is supposed to foster higher learning, but in reality if you want your son to nurture his faith and excel in his studies then you're better off sending him to public school, going to church as a family, and keeping on top of his studies at home. Their policies are meant to bolster the image of the school rather than what is in your son's best interest; for example, the shirt-and-tie uniform policy robs youth of the freedom to express themselves in perhaps the most formative years of their lives. Students are given a choice to either raise money for the school's advertising revenue every year on their own or face detention. Instead of using some of the money from the outrageous cost to attend the school to pay for bus fare for out-of-town students, they make you pay for that as well. They care more about how much press their football program gets rather than how well their students perform on tests. College is expensive enough; don't waste your son's education budget on a school like Xavier.

Xavier High School 1

Posted August 14, 2009

Posted July 14, 2009
I would highly recommend Xavier High School. Although it was a sacrifice to pay the tuition, I would say I got my money's worth and then some. I found there to be virtually no fund raising at all. The quality of the teaching and guidance staff is very high and level of academics is rigorous. The community spirit and attention given to each student is exceptional. Self discipline and respect is expected from all. Great school.

Xavier High School 0

Posted April 01, 2009
I attend Xavier High School so from a students perspective I can say that I enjoy it. If you want your son to excell in academics and other programms then Xavier offers that to them.

Posted June 19, 2007
My son went there and loved it. He was in the honors program and excelled. The teachers are excellent, there are a vast amount of sports, intramurals, arts/music, and other extra curriculars. There is something for everyone. School spirit is great, I've never seen students so committed. The music program is phenomenal. Parents are very involved and so are many of the alumni. The work load is very hard but I'm sure it will pay off for my son.

Xavier High School 3

Posted March 07, 2007
My son attended Xavier for four years, in summary I would classify this as a Catholic High School, not a Predatory school. I conclude this for the following, all applicants are accepted, there is absolutely no admissions criteria. As a result the resources required to address all of the needs are few. In accepting all applicants the need and focus on fund raising is extraordinary.This effort is directed at the parents that are already paying a hefty tuition. A college predatory school has one objective, preparing a student for college. This means from the day they arrive the school is intimately involved in helping the student build a resume, they do not do this. Request the stats and compare to other prep programs. As for the community environment, that basically revolves around fund raising.

Xavier High School 3

Posted February 13, 2007
- a former student
I would recommend this school if religious instruction is important to you. However, if your son is tracked for the honors program in the public school system you may want to consider that.There is definitely an urban element, also something to consider if your son is coming from a small town.If you expect extracurricular involvement you must provide the transportation or have your son do without. Difficult as so many colleges expect that today.

Xavier High School