No rating

St. Frances of Assisi School

Private | PK-8 | 162 students

Living in Naugatuck

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $148,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Sweep tile

Posted January 28, 2013

I wish there were better alternatives private schools in town or nearby. As a result I felt as if I was forced me to keep my child at Stfrancis -St Hedwig way longer than I should have & I'm sorry that I did. I pray & hope that other parents don't make the same mistakes. The lower grades were ok but starting middle school you'll realize its a waste of your hard earned dollars. There is a lack of leadership & the teachers aren't pleasant at all. My child came home & said "mom, it's a shame how these teachers treat some students yet they talk about being a Christian school". When you address issues with the principal, priest even the archdiocese, nothing gets done. If you think you won't find any bullying because it's private, wrong & there's no laws against bullying in private schools to protect your children. As my child said "even the teachers are bullies". Looking at their standardized tests, they do poorly. Forget extra curricular activities, not only do you have to pay extra, there's no consistency in staff. Athletics is a joke. They never have coaches & if they manage to get one, it's someone inexperienced & it shows during games. Save your child, avoid this school!

Posted July 17, 2010

My daughter attended St Francis 6 - 8 grades and loved it!! She went to a small public school previously but enjoyed SFS much more. The teachers and the principal Mr. Fuller are wonderful. My daughter went on to Choate Rosemary Hall and is doing incredible. Thank you St Francis!!

Posted December 6, 2009

Staff at St. Francis of Assisi School are great, dedicated and caring toward my daughter and also my son last year. It is worth every dollar and any donations from the community. I am so happy my children had the opportunity to attend there with a great Principal and 7th and 8th grade staff and pastor.

Posted April 12, 2009

As a fromer student while attending I thought that school would never prepare us for the tasks ahead, I went to a private highschool before going to naugatuck high and st francis is much better then the naugatuck school system. I was amazed at how far ahead i was to the naugatuck educated student. While every one can complain about the staff they are there for all the students and they know they students much better then a public school system. The building does need some improvement but most all the schools that i have ever attented also need updating. If I do have children i would strongly consider St. Franics

Posted February 7, 2008

St. Francis is a diamond in the rough. If you can look past the cosmetic issues you will find a principal, faculty and staff that give their all for our children. The quality of education is exceptional. The parents who devote countless hours supporting the school need to be commended as well. St. Francis is a bargain at twice the price.

Posted February 6, 2008

Great education - great principal.

Posted January 6, 2008

My two children have been at St.Francis School for many years. The school teaches the children about Christ and faith.The children pray each morning with the priest (in public schools they don't) Every Friday's the children pray the rosary. I am overall satisfied with SFS and the teachers are understanding and listen to the students and teach the children the catholic faith. I would strongly reccomend SFS for any parents looking for a catholic school.

Posted August 22, 2007

My child attends Saint Francis. Overall I am very happy with the quality of the education and the dedication of the teachers. The building needs some work but I feel changes are being made to work with what they have. I am very happy with the decision to send my children here.

Posted September 2, 2006

I feel that this school is one of the best compared to the neighboring schools in the area. I would send my own children to this school because the teachers are extremely dedicated individuals. They love to teach and show enthusiasm in everything they do. They also help each other through sharing resources and meeting frequently to address continuity issues. The administration truly cares about each student and through kindness, patience, and understanding, can guide the children to follow in the footsteps of Christ.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted June 27, 2006

After three years of high school following 9 years of SFS, I must say SFS was an interesting experience. I have found that religion and church means more to me now than during my time there. Unfortunately, most of the great upper grade teachers have left the school (ie Mr Koba, Mrs Geary, etc) and the stability of the administration leaves something to be desired. The fact is the school does not seem to have the support of the parish, which forces a lack of acceptable standards at the school. A few years here, wonderful. A lifetime, not so great.

Posted April 25, 2006

Both of my children attend St. Francis School. At this point we have almost ten school years of experince here. Like any school, it has its strengths and weaknesses. Overall, I am pleased with the quality of the academics and the care and dedication of the administration and the faculty. Based on grades, standardized test scores, etc. my children appear to be thriving in this environment. The school's music and art programs are fine with me. The sports program is limited, but with all of the other sports programs that are available in Naugatuck, school sports are not a necessity. Parents are encouraged to get involved. At first this was intimidating, since there are some strong personalities with a long history of parental involvement. But, I have noticed that those to choose to get involved are generally welcomed with open arms.

Posted November 14, 2005

For a Catholic, private school, it is absolutely filthy and nothing is done about it. The principal shows no leadership and does not deal with serious issues, including the math program in grades 5-8 that forces people to leave. There is a click of parents at this school that make it very unfriendly.

Posted September 14, 2005

I have been going to St. Francis for 8 years. From kindergarten right on up to 7th grade for right now. This school has a very good way of teaching and allowing the students to learn. This is a good school and it has a very good enviroment although it can use a few changes. But if you are haveing trouble finding a school you should definatley choose St. Francis!

Posted August 23, 2005

St. Francis should end at 4th grade. The upper grades have constantly changing teachers. The administration is extremely weak. Bullying and dangerous behavior is ignored. Language Arts curriculum extremely outdated. Students are ill prepared for highschool. If you want to keep your children up to speed, you will need to reteach at home at a reasonable rate.

Posted June 9, 2005

The only good quality of St. Francis is that it prepares you for high school because of the teachers' inability to teach. I went to St. Francis for 9 years and most of the teachers in the upper grades do not teach and just expect their students to master the material. Also, the only thing that the principal enforces is the dress code. She cares more about sock lenght and color than she does about behavior issues.

Posted February 15, 2005

My child attends St. Francis School. He attended public school thru grade 5 then changed to St Francis in grade 6. The difference in his education is night and day. St Francis is at least a year ahead of public school. He is finally being challenged. A+ for education. The teachers really care about the children. Every teacher from grade K thru grade 8 knows my childs name. The only downside is the building needs some major renovations. The school is very clean, but very old.

Posted February 11, 2005

this is a great school its preK-8 and it teaches alot about education. I go to this school and i am in 6th grade i think that its awesome here from teachers from kids and the students get along awesome this is a great school wiht alot of great knoweldge for the future. When you have a problem about something you can always talk to someone in that school and the problem is solved.

Posted August 20, 2004

I would highly recommend St.Francis School. They have a top rate curriculum. Their Iowa Test Scores speak for themselves. My daughter went there and was very well prepared for high school.

Posted August 22, 2003

St. Francis is in serious need of a total overhaul, both to building and administration.

Two or more races 6% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Hartford