Newington, CT
Students enrolled: 1,450

Newington High School 4

Posted April 15, 2014
Newington High School, overall, is an extraordinary school. Having experience in other towns in the state, this high school offers many great courses and extracurricular activities I did not see in other towns. Personally, I believe that the majority of the staff are very well prepared and helpful. Most students show effort and determination to succeed. The students in the Newington Public School system, I find, very receptive and welcoming to newcomers. There are a few things that could be worked on, though. The process of filtering into AP classes really needs some improvement, the changing testing program could also use some stability, perhaps some minor superficial improvements throughout the building could also be made, and better trained staff would be nice to have in some parts of athletics. But other than that, I find it very hard to look for other areas to improve upon. Again, a great school overall.

Posted April 04, 2014
During my time at Newington High School I was emotionally bullied by both the students and teachers. Some teachers no longer work at the school and have retired but this behavior was still aloud. I have severe learning disabilities that were discovered IN COLLEGE. While at Newington High i was called lazy, ridiculed for not understanding things in class. Such as algebra and english, even some elective courses were a nightmare. Concert choir for example, should have been called embarrassment 101. I never gave up and kept trying with many tutors and after school help but still I hardly graduated. How a single teacher in this entire school couldn't see my struggle as something wrong and not that I was "dumb and lazy" still blows my mind. When I had to go back to Newington High to request my transcript, I will never forget the look on the guidance counselors face as she said "You are applying to college!?" She always said I would never get in and not to bother applying. I did get in and then I transferred to a much better University in Boston. If I still lived in this town and actually had children they would be sent to private school.

Newington High School 5

Posted September 21, 2013
Even as a student who is only a sophomore, Newington High School is a very good school compared to what I've heard about other schools around Connecticut. The teachers often times are strict and get their point to the students and offer lots of help after school. However, you have to keep in mind that teachers have families of their own and can't help all the time. The Administrative Staff help out a lot. My guidance counselor makes sure I'm doing good in school and will help a lot with things to do with college and will be there for a student. However, if a student is not willing to go for extra help or will not respect school rules, it's very likely they won't like this school. Newington High is advanced, and there are only so many levels of core classes. But there are many electives to choose from and a few levels for some select classes. For a student, they either love this school or hate it. Personally, I love it and would highly recommend it to people looking to move.

Newington High School 2

Posted August 20, 2013
While it has the potential, very poor communication from the school. One does not make up the rules as you go along. Hiring graduates from NHS as teachers certainly doesn't make for qualified teachers.

Posted June 24, 2011
When you consider diversity and its effects on the student population, it could be that a lack of teacher and administrative diversity that may have a deleterious effect on the student population.

Newington High School 3

Posted June 07, 2009
if it weren't for all the horrible things that have happened at this high school in the past four years, i would say the school was doing well. Due to what has happened there has been a power struggle, creating an awful environment. Time to save the reputation is wearing thin.

Posted April 26, 2009
In my past 4 years I have to admit NHS has been nothing short of a nuclear disaster. The students do not trust the administration at all, I would say I feel genuinely safe 1/3 of the time. The teachers are nice, and that seems to be the one strong point of the school that has a lot of issues at the top that are felt by parents, students, and teachers alike.

Posted March 31, 2009

Newington High School 5

Posted February 10, 2009
I have been very happy with the Newington School System. All my children attend college and doing very well. I actually had one child who attended private school in their senior year and he was accepted into less colleges than his public peers even though even was in the top ten of his private school. I do believe they should let the children show more creativity in their individuality and stop enforcing ridicualous rules. As to if your child is lazy and doesn't perform at school the parent needs to hard look at themselves and their abilities.

Newington High School 4

Posted December 28, 2008

Newington High School
605 Willard Ave, Newington, CT  06111
Last modified Newington High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newington High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top