PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted July 05, 2016
We are very pleased with our experience at Fraser Woods. So far, our eldest has been through his first year of Lower School. He has excelled in his interest in math, practical life and simply wanting to learn, ask questions and do thing independently. He is almost four and excited to go back in the fall. The teachers are caring and skilled educators. I really like that he will be in the same class, with the same teacher for 3 years. They have an amazing learning experience that goes from the universe to the home town. Each year, they get to experience it again but on a completely different level of understanding. It is also so great that this year he was able to learn from older kids and next he will have older kids to learn from and younger kids to help out. While they encourage independence, they learn to work together and learn from each other. Outside of the classroom, the school is a wonderful place where everyone knows each others names. They encourage kindness, respect and teach children to think as global citizens - not just kids that learn but empowered humans that care and respect others and the planet. My younger son will be joining the toddler room in the fall where I look forward to see him exploring and growing in the care of these lovely teachers. It is a small school where many of the parents whose kids have been there for many years all know each other and are very involved with the running of the school. This seemed intimidating to me at first, but it is not like many exclusive private schools. These parents too, are kind, caring people who want to include all the parents and kids in being part of this wonderful community. We are happy to have found Fraser Woods and are looking forward not only to our children's growth but, as a family, continuing to be part of the community.

Posted February 02, 2015
We have been part of this school community since 2006. Both of my children began attending the school at the age of 2.5 and my eldest is now in 5th grade. Both of my children love school, and are eager to get to school each day. The school is accredited by the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools. Each head teacher in grades Toddler through 5th grade is an American Montessori Association certified teacher for their grade level. Because of that and a Head of School that was trained by one of Maria Montessori's original students, the research-based teaching method has a strong foundation at this school. The classroom environments are well-kept and full of beautiful, interesting and highest quality authentic Montessori materials. I am especially impressed with the language and mathematics materials--learning complicated multiplication is interesting, fun and completely logical. My children have an understanding of the basic principles of mathematics that is an unshakeable foundation. I look forward to next year, when my eldest begins in the middle school!

Fraser Woods Montessori School 1

Posted January 24, 2015
My child was in this school from kindergarten through 6th grade. When he went to public school for 7th grade, we found that he was behind in every way with the exception of math. His writing, reading, organizational skills, time management skills and music knowledge were all behind his public school peers. It was a very expensive lesson.

Fraser Woods Montessori School 2

Posted August 12, 2014
Understand who your child is before you decide to place him/her in FWM. For preschool, if your child is not a "self-starter/cookie cutter child", they will get lost in this maze of "figure it out yourself". There is rampant bullying, even at a young age and teachers usually choose not to see this but rather focus on the child who is "loud". It is a very polarizing environment and the head of the school has no idea what business she is in. Enrollment is way down and there is a reason for it. There are many other great education choices in Newtown. My child after only one month out of the FWM environment and in another preschool is blossoming and make huge strides with more confidence, skills sets and is genuinely happy and learning.

Fraser Woods Montessori School 4

Posted August 15, 2013
Fraser Wood students evolve into bright, articulate, and caring young adults, with amazing skills and characteristics to succeed in their studies, and in life. My own kids and their friends love to go to FWM. The teachers meet each kid where they are academically and emotionally, and help them move forward at their own pace. It is incredible to see the multi-age classroom in action. They also provide a non-competitive environment in classes, sports and throughout the school. This allows the students to work together in a supportive and cooperative way, to develop intrinsic motivation to excel, and to build skills to get along in the world when they move on.

Posted August 12, 2013
Fraser Woods Montessori is a great school! My daughter has been here since she was 3 and she is now in Middle School. She has had an amazing experience both academically and socially. I really like the way the curriculum is set up, the way the teachers guide the students and I like the way classes are set up as I think the students are more productive than in a traditional setting. If you've never seen a Montessori classroom you'll be amazed. I think they let you do classroom observations so go check it out. All the kids are busy working on their own. This way of learning teaches them to really follow directions and work independently. I saw another post about bullying and I was surprised as we've never experienced it or seen it here. Being respectful of each other has always been encouraged in my daughter's classes, in fact that is why we chose FWM over any other school. Wish they had a High School!!

Posted February 21, 2013
This school is the best! I'm so thankful I found it. My children would have been "fine" in the public schools. But having gone through eighth grade at Fraser Woods, they have developed a love of learning, confidence and a strong sense of self that has served them well in the Newtown high school and college. Thank you Fraser Woods!

Posted January 29, 2013
The teachers at this school are amazing! I love that they came to me with great excitement to share a wonderful moment with my daughter. My daughter was ready to be pushed to the next level and they pushed - she is now soaring. It is not about grades and comparisons to others, it is about how my daughter is doing, how she is progressing at her own pace and how the school is able to answer her individual needs. They are helping to create an independent thinker, respectful young adult and a responsible student. I am grateful to Fraser Woods for being an institution that provides the structure that my child needs, educates her to a higher level than provided by the local public schools and allows her the freedom to pursue her own interests. The school has also been wonderful in supporting our family to continue at Fraser Woods.

Posted January 25, 2013
This is an excellent school! I never knew what a "Montessori" school was but decided to look into it when I was looking for a pre-school for my first child. I ended up sending all three of my children to Fraser Woods -they all graduated from the middle school. It was the best choice I could have made. Mixed age classrooms, and having the same teacher for three years in a row was instrumental in their success through high school and college. They will keep their love of learning that they developed at Fraser Woods with them forever.

Posted January 05, 2013
My daughter continues to have a great experience at FWM. She started when she was 2 1/2 and has loved her many friends and teachers for the past 9 years. As a parent I LOVE the Montessori way of educating her. FWM has been respectful of her as an individual while teaching her to become an avid learner as she adapts study skills that will help her throughout her life. Anyone thinking about a Montessori education for their child should do their research. Although Montessori has been around for over 100 years, it is a scientifically based and progressive method of learning very different from public school where every child does the same work at the same time. Montessori is not "rigor" but the children learn to conduct themselves and don't require a "collaboration" of teachers and parents to push the child. While her neighborhood public school friends were doing 1-2 hours of nightly homework with their parents my daughter and I were free to play because she had done all her work at school. Now that she is in MS she has substantial homework but she is organized and on top of her responsibilities.

Fraser Woods Montessori School
173 South Main Street, Newtown, CT  06470
Last modified Fraser Woods Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8