Columbus Magnet School 3

Posted August 02, 2014
I have mixed feedback of this school. My daughter attends this school, after being selected via a lottery system, two years ago. She is now entering second grade, and even after daily reading session and working on various after school scholastic activity books to improve her math and reading, I feel she is still behind. I generally agree with the earlier feedback from the other parents, the schools works hard to create a positive learning environment, and the principle is also a positive influence trying to make a difference. As I compare this school to the schools in surrounding towns, it's clear that funding is an issue. Also the location of the school is not good at all. It's surrounded by low income housing and other less than ideal neighbors. In the two years since our daughter has attended there have been school lock downs because of surrounding neighborhood problems. Overall Norwalk schools are far from ideal, if you compare to Westport, Wilton or Darian. I hopeful the school can get some funding to help provide the additional help they need to succeed. I think given needed resources the school can really thrive.

Posted November 06, 2013
This is the school I have been looking for, for my daughter's entire childhood. Fantastic place - excellent arts-infused curriculum; skilled, professional, very high-quality and kind teachers; great programming and facilities. A beautiful, beautiful place. The principal is amazing - she greets every child by name by about the second day!

Posted October 18, 2013
We love the enrichment programs Columbus offers and the hands-on creative methods they use for teaching. The parent community as well as the teachers make this school a great place to learn.

Posted October 14, 2013
Iam new to this school, but I am very happy with my kindergarteners progress. The teachers and staff and GREAT!

Posted October 13, 2013
After very careful consideration I selected Columbus for my academically and artistically gifted, but socially awkward child. It was one of the best parenting decisions I have made. The Bank Street approach allows for open ended learning so that my child remains engaged and challenged. The fact that Columbus is a Hot School encourages creative thinking and supports her love of the arts. The school community embraces the "Tribes Agreements" so that the voice of each child is heard and respected and each student is valued as an important member of the group and is celebrated for their uniqueness. Columbus follows the Comer principal where parents are a welcome and respected part of the educational process. This is a wonderful school, and the staff are amazing. I highly recommend this school.

Posted October 10, 2013
CMS is a wonderful school! They stay true to the Bank Street Curriculum. Parents and teachers are very engaged and active in all aspects of the children's' education.

Posted October 10, 2013
My children had a great beginning at this school, caring and devoted teachers and staff.

Posted October 10, 2013
Columbus provides a nurturing atmosphere where learners of all backgrounds and levels can achieve to their highest potential. Creative and fun classrooms motivate and excite the students. My son has blossomed at Columbus Magnet School.

Posted October 10, 2013
Columbus Magnet isn't just a school, it is a community. A close knit community of very involved parents and teachers who care about our kids and their education. We couldn't be happier with our experience here.

Posted October 09, 2013
Columbus is a wonderful school where my son loves to go to school everyday! He actually wishes there was class over the weekend! I love the way the teachers find a way to inter grate everything they learn about into math science reading and social studies! I think it makes it so much more interesting for the kids to learn about things they want to know and all the other just happens without them even knowing! Entering the lottery for CMS was the best decision my husband and I have ever made!

Columbus Magnet School
46 Concord St, Norwalk, CT  06854
Last modified Columbus Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Columbus Magnet School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top