Jefferson Magnet School

Public | K-5 | 584 students

Posted June 7, 2014

Great staff and principal , very good with the students . Teaching comes first , and I can see their hard work in my daughter achievements , The students are doing a lot of reading and math , the science lab is fantastic , they learn a lot of interesting things and the art in this school makes them very creative .

Posted June 3, 2014

All teachers are great,but the principle. I had a really big safety issue with that school. The main office is on the 2 floor. So when people come in to sign in they enter and go... What if some parents have metal issues and have guns.. And unfortunately there is no solution to that problem. The principal never return calls very rude , even though he might seem very nice and polite at first.

Posted April 30, 2014

My friends kids are studying here will say good and excellent in teaching and programs nice to hear and i am also going to put my kid here thanks to all

Posted October 8, 2013

I think this is a great school. My daughter is in second grade and she is really good in reading. She has improved a lot! The principal, staff and teacher very qualified.

Posted August 5, 2013

Great school went there for 3rd/4th . Mr .Reynolds was always great. So much field trips. I cried that i wasnt there for 5th .

Posted December 12, 2011

I have nothing but great things to say about jefferson school and its staff. My step daughter is now in fourth grade and she has been there from kindergarden. My son is in kindergarden for the second year. he has a learning difference and concentration issues. The taechers, principal, vice principal, nurse and therapists have been more than helpful in my sons development. Many innercity schools let their students fall through the cracks but jefferson is absolutley not one of them. The teachers take pride in what they do and are very influential to the kids. My son and step daughter love going to school everyday and they are always telling me how they can't wait to see their teachers each week. And as for my sons learning disability, the staff is doing a wonderful job directing his interests into sschool work, making it fun. He has come around 110 percent. He couldn't read at all at the end of last year. Now, instead of me reading books to him at night, he wants to read to me. Jefferson science magnet scool should be the choice of every parent who decides to move to norwalk, or lives in norwalk.

Posted August 17, 2011

My son just graduated from Jefferson Science Magnet. Although he only attended for 2 years; I pulled him from another Norwalk Public elementary school where we were miserable. Jefferson has been the best experience for him. The teachers are amazing, the computer lab, double dose, partnering with the Maritime aquarium and GE. Everything and everyone worked to give Jefferson kids the best education and elementary school experience possible. I recommend everyone, especially if your child is interested in natural sciences to attend.

Posted October 18, 2010

Great teachers and other faculty!

Posted October 17, 2010

The teachers and staff work well together for the kids

Posted April 13, 2010

The Principal, John Reynolds has created a great team of teachers and staff. His motto is only do what's purposeful. Jefferson recently won The Fairfield County Academic Gain Award from the Lone Pine Foundation. The school takes a true interest in each students gain.

Posted April 13, 2010

I taught at Jefferson School/Jefferson Science Magnet School for 27 years. We always had teachers/staff, students, and parents who worked together and shared the responsibilty of getting the best education for the students. Our school motto is 'We Help Each Other' and we live up to it!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 27, 2010

My son is in the first grade and loves this school. He was previously at Kendall Elementary which was extremely overpopulated. I tried getting him into Jefferson and Columbus in K but he didn't get into either but God is good because for the 2009/2010 school year, he got accepted to both and we choose Jefferson. Their curriculum is great and his Teacher, Ms. S. has helped him improve in reading drastically. My only complaint is that I do not like the after school program my son attends however, that's not run by Jefferson. On another note, parents are encouraged to be involved, I've gone to the school to read to the kids and they were all well behaved. All in all, it's a great school. Oh lastly, the morning and afternoon parking situation is awful, I guess based on the schools location nothing else can be done.

Posted February 3, 2009

My daugther started kindergarden in 2008. I'm soo happy the teachers give her confidence, she's very happy to go to school every day. I feel really like there is no words to describe everything she learn each day. Thanks

Posted May 15, 2008

My son has been here for 2 years now and I can not say enough about the staff and the school administration. They care about my son and only want to see the best happen for him. They work with me and my wife to assure us that our son is on track for the following school year and that he is at, or above state level in mastering academics. It makes us sad to know that we are relocating to another state and can't pick up this school and staff to take along with us.

Posted January 6, 2008

I think the staff in this school needs to learn how to talk to children and also the staff in the cafateria need to learn how to talk to children. Basically i think allot of the teachers in this school need a lesson in communication.

Posted August 9, 2007

My son went through Jefferson and now my daughter is in her third year. The teachers and administration provide a warm and caring environment. The science magnet curriculum is fantastic! We love Jefferson!

Posted March 1, 2006

Jefferson.. what can I say besides it is the best thing that ever happened to my 3 children. We have had great great years here and it saddens me that my child only has 1 more year there and then he will move on too. They are more than teachers to these children, the children are very diverse but treated equal. We have a caring staff, a caring student body, pto... etc... I would not leave Jefferson district until all of my kids are out of Jefferson. I would never want to let either of them miss the experience that my older 2 had. Its by far the best elementary school in norwalk, clean, safe, educational standards are high and now we will be a magnet. I am so glad my child will get to partipate in the 1st year of the change over.

Posted February 9, 2005

My daughter has been at Jefferson for 4 years now and I wouldn't take her out and put her anywhere else. The staff are the nicest and most helpful people and the teachers are very dedicated. It is a wonderful school and we actually chose where to live by the great experience we have had here.

Posted February 9, 2005

My child had been at jefferson since k and its been 3 great years. If we talk about moving she wants to make sure she can still go to jefferson. We have had great teachers and the pto is great!

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

In 2012-2013 Connecticut used the Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT) to test students' skills in reading, writing and math in grades 3 through 8, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The CMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 88% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Students without disabilities81%
English language learners54%
Proficient in English90%
Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students93%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A35%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

75 Van Buren Ave