Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Really bad. no functioning homework system for most teachers! HW are lost, after being handed in to the teachers and some teachers like science and social studies teachers have no hesitation to give out Fs and not care what the students or parent have to say! They have discouraged my kid so much so far!

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

No effective leadership is presented! The teachers have to have a "working system" not to accuse the students for not handing in their homework on time. Some of them, like the science and social studies teachers, lose the students homework, and unfairly give F's to students, like my child.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The focus of the parents and some of the kids have become to prove they have done the homework and handed them in, instead of learning new materials!

Communication is really hard in this school. In the 7th grade there are two teams that are really inconsistent. Team X and Y. Team X teachers give students huge amount of homework, tests and projects. They give out "F" so easily as a grade even for papers that were supposed to be signed by parents, not a real homework!. And then don't give out any grades for some other real homework that are done properly and should get an A+! Specially team X "science teacher" does this consistently, discouraging students badly. It seems that students in this team are a lot more evaluated than team Y. Which is really inconsistent with Team Y and unfair. This school doesn't have a clear guideline for the teacher to provide the kids with the same learning opportunities. Team X students are so busy doing so much work, they have no more time to do any extracurricular activities. But, Teach Y students have really NOT MUCH to do on a daily basis! My child is overloaded and under tremendous pressure and already doesn't like science anymore, because of the discouraging behaviors of the science teacher! These teachers need to start caring more about "encouraging" students by being fair. We don't want our kids to drop out of middle school! Also, the school need to establish a clear guild line for the teachers in both teams to be consistent in their teaching and students evaluations.

What I have learned from this school is that the staff is very lazy about evaluating the student performance and taking the initiative in speaking with both the student and parents regarding the fact that a student may find a class too easy and not challenging. I found that I, as a parent had to be the one to monitor my child's ease of the class and then had to meet with teachers to have my child moved to a more appropriate academic level. Even when a teacher noticed that a class was simply easy for my child, there was ABSOLUTELY NO communication initiated with me. I would urge my child to speak to the teacher or counselor but it took some effort on OUR part. Then, after meeting with his group of teachers, I was told by the counselor that it would be too difficult to change a particular class because all other class times would have to be changed as well. Is this not their jobs????? Is it that difficult to do to put a student at the appropriate level??? I remember when I was in middle school in another town, many years ago, it was the staff that initiated a meeting with my parents and me, because they felt that I needed to be moved to a more advanced level and it was not that difficult for them to change my schedule. It was done!! To top that off, I had been advanced twice due to their careful student evaluation. Overall, I find that this school severely lacks staff to parent communication. Just as another example, one of my child's teachers had decided herself, that she was to put my child on a late bus for a first occurrence, late a few minutes to class detention, and I was NEVER advised! These are very unprofessional examples that clearly need improvement at this school!

It has come to my attention that bullying is an issue at this school and nothing is being done about this please look into this issue.

My son is a currently in the eighth grade at Amity Middle School, my other son is now a sophomore at Amity High , he also attended AMS . I agree that there are some staff members that need to retire however our experience with the school as been nothing but the best. And to the person who wrote about spoiled lazy kids I would have to disagree!! My daughter will be attending AMS in 2013 and I am sure she will receive the best education from AMS just as her brothers have.

If I had any other reasonable option, my child would not be attending this school. Spoiled kids and a lazy admin. It's true what another parent wrote - kids are labeled. They stick a student in a given category and then leave them there. The school does not view each student as an individual. I don't suggest anyone move here for this school.

Gives kids great education and independence. Easy transistion into the middle school.

Most of the teachers are great. Just watch out if you get a bad one. The administration will turn a blind eye and do nothing about it - even if it's at the students expense. Overall the children are poorly behaved and this is tollerated. Children are labled from the time they enter the school. These labels never change. I would not recommend this school.

Last modified Amity Middle School: Orange is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.