Waterbury, CT

Sacred Heart High School 3

Posted December 13, 2009
I graduated in 08', and it's not amazing, but not a bad school either.

Sacred Heart High School

Posted March 30, 2009
As a sophomore at SHHS, I could not love this school more than I do. The teachers are extremely kind, helpful, and in several courses, challenging. I have learned a lot from the diverse faculty and I am confident my SHHS education composed of honors classes will carry me through college successfully. The sports range from exceedingly talented to horrible -- but it is known that every student that is part of a sports team has a great time regardless of the team's record. Our boys' basketball and swim teams won state championships this year which was pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I am part of the girls' soccer and basketball teams & I am very happy with the quality of coaching and I thoroughly enjoy the players on both teams. The academics, athletics, extracurriculars & family environment make SHHS an amazing school that I would highly recommend.

Posted November 13, 2007
My son is a freshman at SHHS. He came from Wallace, which is a pretty ruff public school and has found the enviroment at SHHS to be exactly what he needed. He had done well in Wallace, attaining a couple of high school credits during 8th grade and is now a freshman in Sophmore Honors Geomotry. I have read some of the othercomments and hear that the acadmics are mediocre but I do not see it that way. My son had straight A's during his public school career and is finding several of his classes quite challenging. I guess it depends on your teacher. I would recommend Sacred Heart to anyone looking for a school that fosters a family type atmosphere that prepares their child for colloge. And no, noone in my family has ever attended Sacred Heart other than my son.

Posted May 07, 2006
Many of these reviews have some aspects of this school in which are correct. For example, I am a sacred heart student and I will be graduating this year, and when I just read the reviews I was shocked to see what people think about Sacred Heart. I have had two teachers that were horrible as teachers, but fun nevertheless. The sports programs are somewhat terrible and even some of my honors classes have been pathetically easy. But where Sacred Heart counts is the simple connectivity of all of its members. It is like any other school, you get from it what you put into it. I have put a lot of my energy into sacred heart and i have been rewarded greatly. Sure, other schools are better, but i doubt any will make me feel like a family. Dan

Sacred Heart High School 1

Posted March 24, 2006
Finally a chance to be heard! If you really want your child to learn and be successful in college then this in not the school for you. From the president to the guidence counselor I rank this school fair. My daughter loved her friends and some teachers at SHHS, but she realized in her second year that she was learning little. Her good grades were as a result of easy work and easy teachers. If it wasn't for her honesty, she would have remained at the school and learned little. She would have truly been at a disadvantage once she made it to college. There are a fee good teachers, but most have no class control and little to offer. My daughter would tell you that she had alot of fun at SHHS, if thats what you want for your child, then this is the school for you. good luck

Sacred Heart High School 1

Posted February 15, 2006
A few words to discribe SHHS--legacy, medicore education, and sports. I am a product of this education, and can say, I had a tough time matriculating to a college/university level. My science and math skills were lacking compared to others, and so were my practical skills. The school sets example to students by letting them 'slip by' solely on a last name or a sports scholarship. The teachers and parents are involved in a cliquish mentality as well. SHHS is an expensive public school--there are lots of fights and unruliness.

Sacred Heart High School 4

Posted August 23, 2005
I like it at Sacred Heart. I get along well with the teachers and most of my fellow students. I'm not a sports star at all, and my family isn't exactly well-known at the school. The teachers are a mixture of some mediocre and others who are brilliant and have really taught me alot already. I also would like to add that they offer more challenging courses than previously mentioned. There is AP US history, AP English, UConn Physics, UConn Calculus, and if it is truly desired, arrangements can be made for students to take an independent study course in kanguage or other subjects. Sacred Heart is a good choice if you like a small school where the atmosphere is equivalent to that a a large family.

Posted March 10, 2005
I Love Sacred heart...My family has had no other association with the school when i started but i was still welcomed and liked. Yes i do have to say that all the teachers know the basketball stars and sports stars, but also many of the teachers are involved with the sports and are willing to help everyone! I have taken honors corses and i myself are challenged. I am happy i choose sacred heart! GO HEARTS!

Sacred Heart High School 2

Posted February 09, 2005
I attended Sacred Heart from 1997-2001. I was an active member of the school, including honors society, football team, baseball team, etc. The fact of the matter is, Sacred Heart is little more than a public school that requires a tuition. While the quality of education was mediocre when I was there, I have family who still attend the school, and it seems as if things are falling apart quickly. There are a very limited number of AP courses offered. Now graduating after 4years of college, I realize how much of an advantage I would have had if I was able to enter my university with 3 or more college credits like many other students. I regret going to SHHS and would have much rather attended Crosby High. SH is political when it comes to parent involvement. Besides basketball, their sports programs leave much to be desired.

Posted December 22, 2004
I am the parent of a SHHS student whose father, uncles and numerous family members are SHHS alumni. I agree with the previous comments regarding the SHHS enviroment - it's a warm, welcoming and nuturing atmosphere with involved parents. We are not your 'typical' SHHS family (Catholic) but we still feel welcome. My child participates in athletics - not because his cousins are 'basketball allstars with the right last name', or because his father was a SHHS basketball 'allstar', but because he realizes that participation in sports helps to make you a more well rounded individual! Overall, I think that SHHS is a good school, the only area lacking may be in academic support services. We also need to expand our facility so that we do not have to travel to other schools to use their track or swimming pool. Overall,I think that we made the clear choice - SHHS!

Sacred Heart High School
142 South Elm Street, Waterbury, CT  06706
Last modified Sacred Heart High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Sacred Heart High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top