Rotella Interdistrict Magnet School

Public | PK-5 | 616 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 11, 2014

Wonderful school, great programs, great activities, awesome teachers, I'm so happy to have had 2 kids attend. I highly recommend parents apply for the lottery to get in.

Posted June 20, 2013

Best magnet school in the area!! I love this school! Wonderful programs, very hands on. The teachers are always cheerful and genuinely get involved in all aspects of teaching. The palette awards are great example of that. Great communication between parent liaisons and parents. The Vice principle makes time to talk with me regarding any concerns I had. Great follow up. I only wish the school went to 8th grade. My son has been there since preK and absolutely loves it and so do I!!!

Posted May 25, 2011

I cannot say enough good things about this school! Its great and I was thrilled when my oldest son got in, then 2 years later my youngest was 'waitlisted' but ended up with a spot as well. I love the programs, the teachers, the school itself. I do have to agree with the statements about the office staff, however, they do ignore you when you walk in, lol. I wish this school went higher than 5th grade!

Posted January 13, 2011

I was so thrilled when my daughter got in. However I can not get over on how rude and unwelcoming the office staff is towards parents. If they want more parent involvement they really need to change their attiudes towards them. Everytime you walk in the office you are immediately given the cold shoulder like you are annoying them. My daughter is happy so I just deal with it but it is not what I had in mind.

Posted August 29, 2010

My daughter has attended the summer program Rotella offers since kindergarten. She was selected via lottery to attend the regular school curriculum at the beginning of third grade and is now entering fourth. We LOVE this school. Their standards are definitely set higher than most of the other city schools, but they also ranked highest in 3 out of four categories in CMT testing for 2009/2010. The teachers and staff are friendly, and eager to get parents involved with their children and the classroom. The school also offers a variety of different enrichment programs and activities throughout the school year. The only negative input I have is that the school is only K-5!!!

Posted December 2, 2009

It is a great school; however, the staff is still somehow rude. The teacher do a great job, but it will be great if they will keep the parents updated with their children's progress. The progress book is a great way to check children's progress, so you know where you can work more with them.

Posted June 11, 2009

My both of my children love Rotella! Children are taught well and the staff has used positive reinforcement. Students are the stars!

Posted March 11, 2009

We LOVE Rotella! My son loves it there! I feel that the after school programs that they do have are top notch. My sons self confidence has grown so much in these past few months. I know it has everything to do with his teacher. The after school program helped with that also. He was chosen for a role in the school play, he was so so proud! My other two are in the lotto for next year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! A happy parent

Posted March 3, 2009

I agree with the parent who suggested a second language, that is a great idea... I love Rotella as well, I hope my other son gets in.. Just as an FYI... Waterbury PAL offers a wide range of sports and it is very affordable. The fee is $25.00 yearly and your child can enroll in one or all the activities and they even provide the team shirt, no extra charge.. Waterbury PAL is an excellent programs offers by the police department... Take advantage!

Posted March 3, 2009

I love Rotella, however, I think they should offer a second language class for students who are interested. The earlier you teach a second language, the easier it is for them to learn another language in the future. I speak from experience. Other countries teach their students 2 languages early on. Even if it was just an after school activity, I believe it would greatly improve the school. I also think they should be offering sports after school, for free. No more 50$ at some program that once you get in they want more and more $! Lets give our students that don't have the money a chance to improve in sports such as baseball, soccer, ect... I understand this takes a lot of money, but it's definitely something to work towards. Rotella does a great job. I love the teachers and the principal has been very helpful for me.

Posted March 2, 2009

My daughters both attend Rotella. It is an exellent school. I am trying to get my son and other daughter in also. I would not send my children to the public schools if I can get them in the magnet. The teachers are great, they are the best. This school was voted #1 magnet school in the nation!

Posted October 11, 2008

My daughter attends Rotella she is a good student and tries her hardest in class. At times she has had difficulty with some subjects - it seems like the teachers want the students to all be on the same level. She likes the school and is learning a lot there. I do think Rotella is the best school for her in this city - the staff in the front office are rude at times they make you feel as if you are bothereing them and making them do their jobs. The teacher she has now is taking a real interest in my daughter and I hope it continues.

Posted October 8, 2008

Great school! What are you talking about? The teachers are very nice if you aren't messing around or failing and if you meet this criteria I think you should go to a different school!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 3, 2008

my daughter is a 4th grader and has been in this school since pre-k. i am so happy with the teachers and staff and believe that my daughter has learned so much. i lvoe school and is blessed she got in

Posted August 21, 2008

I think that the teachers care very much at Rotella and the kids seem very happy there. The front office staff leave MUCH to be desired, though and I dread having to go in there at all because they are so rude and not helpful or even concerned about anything other than themselves and gossiping. My kids love it and I am glad that they have the opprotunity to attend Rotella. I think that the school should be more diverse,as there are many more white children than any other ethnicity represented.

Posted September 21, 2007

This is the best elementary school in the waterbury school system. Both of my boy attend here, and i can not say enough great things about the staff.Keep up the great work Rotella!

Posted April 9, 2007

my experience with this school since it opened, has been considerably less than positive. my kids are not nearly enthused about school as others who attend elsewhere. I question the integrity of those employed who seem to turn a blind to legitimate parent concerns such as safety, egress and accountability for my kids wellbeing. longstanding problems repeat themselves annually. i am not feeling the love at this school. the only right thing is to send my kid somewhere else. these problems will never go away- its a people problem.

Posted March 22, 2007

Rotella is a very close knit school and the children always's come first.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 7, 2006

I am very happy with this school. The teachers are great and the education my kids are getting there is better that at their previous school. Front office personnel could do with a few workshops on better public relations, but maybe they will mature along with the students.

Posted September 8, 2005

I have the highest regard for the teachers at Rotella but I wish I could say the same for the office administration. The front office staff are the rudest most impolite people. No matter how nice you are to them they always seem like you are bothering. It is definitely not a warm school atmosphere and not the kind of impression you want to make on people entering our school. It frankly is shameful! A little proffesionalism?? The principles have never really been any help to the concerned parents and could care less. Children in this school are a priority? Please give parking to maintenance staff and let the children walk in the rain, snow or cold- how's that for priority. Get someone with real leadership potential in there and let's see if we can see a positive change.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2012.

87 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2012.

86 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 63% in 2012.

89 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 4 or 5

In 2011-2012 Connecticut used the Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT) to test students' skills in reading, writing and math in grades 3 through 8, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The CMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.
Beginning in the 2009-2010 school year, the Connecticut Department of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the CMT test. The new standards for proficiency are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2012.

91 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2012.

90 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 65% in 2012.

94 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

83 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2012.

93 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 68% in 2012.

93 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students54%

Not economically disadvantaged73%
Students without disabilities74%
Proficient in English71%
Scale: % level 4 or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students70%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A34%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

440 Pierpont Rd