Caravel Academy 2

Posted June 17, 2015
I've gone to this school for a total of 9 years now, and I honestly never enjoyed it. Many things are outdated, class sizes are far too large, and they don't have a auditorium. The athletic standards and performances are very high, but they are far too political and the coaches are very biased in what they do. There are a couple of cliques, and if you're not in them, people bully you to no end. It took 8 years for me to finally get accepted and noticed as a person. If all the new people hadn't of come for the most recent year's eighth grade, I would still be bulled much more. Some people there are very arrogant and their goal in life is to annoy people. I never liked the school to begin with, and the only other good schools in the area are either vocational-technical schools or much more expensive. In base, I'm stuck here. The teachers aren't motivated, and not to mention very biased in grading. Generally the better behaved students get the higher grades. Personally, I would not recommend this school for the years of Kindergarten-8th grade. I have yet to experience high school, but I will update for that when the time comes. Do not send your child to this school.

Posted August 21, 2014
My brother and I used to go to Caravel. It just didn't end well. In my third year there, I ended up getting bullied pretty badly, and my brother had similar issues in his second year. My parents put us in a different, slightly more expensive (but well worth it) private school as soon as they could. We flourished at the new school. I've been to a couple private schools in the area since Caravel (Caravel is the only one I left on bad terms) so I've had a lot to compare it to. At Caravel, a lot of the teachers didn't seem to be very motivated, and the class sizes were always way too large for a private school. (30+ kids in a private school class?) Athletics are top notch, but there's a lot of politics involved with them. There are other schools with great athletics and athletic facilities, too - ones without the politics. The campus is not attractive at all, and the buildings and classrooms were outdated. Sense of community? Never really felt one. There were a lot of cliques, too. The education is cheap for sure, but my parents would rather spend a little more money for us to be happy and enjoy school than for cheap "private school" education that we both dislike.
5 people found this helpful

Posted July 10, 2014
When I went here, I, as well, didn't make friends very well either. It seemed like you had to go to this school since kindergarten to be accepted in. The students seemed to be very judge mental. Some teachers I'd say were great while others just simply lacked in teaching skills. The school it's self is very secured, however, sometimes doors wouldn't work going through transition and you needed a key card every time to get through or simply find a different way to get through. I would give the school itself 3 stars, as the students are very rude and uncaring for others that haven't gone to the school long, I give this school 1 star.

Posted May 29, 2014
I went to Caravel for a half a year. I was very disappointed with the school. I did not make many friends and was left out. The classrooms weren't very nice as my last school. The teaches were ok, but i thought they could have been better. I felt like i was bullied and could not take it anymore that is why i left.
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 10, 2013
My daughter has gone to Caravel for the past 4 years and has been thriving ever since. She started out in K at a local private school that I graduated from that costs 3x as much and didn't even focus on reading skills at that age. She's since become an outstanding student and was even recently selected into a gifted student program at John's Hopkins based on her outstanding English test scores for her age group. I would highly recommend Caravel as one of the top schools in the area and a great value at that.

Posted March 25, 2013
We sent our son to Caravel Academy to get away from Elkton HS where he was getting bad grades. We felt like he was in a bad environment that was detrimental to learning. Within three months of going to Caravel we noticed a big change in him. The teachers really care. He was reading many books for all the different subjects.He played baseball there for coach Nick who had a great influence on his life .His grades dramatically improved mostly As.He got a large scholorship to Towson University where he recently gradulated with an accounting degree and landed a nice job with a prestigious firm.This was all a result of his attending this great school.

Posted March 04, 2013
I've had 2 children attend Caravel for the last 5 years and I honestly can say that this school is one of the top schools in the country. The faculty love their students and the activities/athletics are top notch. My kids have grown so much in the last 5 years; looking back I am soooo glad I decided on Caravel. Finally, the tution is also the cheapest in the area which is probably why each grade has a waiting list.

Posted October 28, 2012
This is our first year at Caravel. My son is in 6th grade and although it was a rough go in the first month, he is flourishing and using his talents as he continues to grow. 1 B and the rest A's is incredible and goes to show us that he does belong at this level. Not only did we choose Caravel because of the Academics, but the Athletic program is top notch. After coaching a few boys that went to Caravel, it was very clear that I wanted my son to be a part of this program.

Posted August 30, 2012
I am quite surprised by some of the reviews here. My son has attended Caravel since 7th grade after trying the horrible public schools here in DE where he wasn't challenged and there was a total lack of safety. You do not have that at Caravel. All students get along and they do not tolerate any bullying or any nonsense. I am amused by some of the statements saying what great educational programs the public schools offer. Which schools are those because my friends who have children the public schools are not seeing it and I never saw it while he was there!! Your only hope is a charter school and good luck making the lottery. My son is a senior and able to attend any college of his choice and I do not think you can do that if you were not getting a quality education. Also as far as sports goes, I do not know how the one review can say that sports have declined. They have had state titles in Girls Softball, Baseball, Wrestling and went to states in Football in the past few years. That does not sound like decline to me. Overall, Caravel is a great school where the parents are involved and the teachers and the administration care!

Posted May 13, 2012
We chose this school because we felt that our two children would be safe and get a good education. After 8 years at this school, I feel as though the academic standards have been lowered. The teachers are nice people, but for the most part they are not people who intended careers as teachers. They are young recent grads or parents who work there to get massive tuition breaks. We are very dissapointed with the athletic programs this year. Caravel used to be known for great coaches and programs. For the most part it the athletic programs have been very disappointing over the last two years. Further, numerous athletes have gotten into trouble with partying. We are dissapointed at the decline of the school.

Caravel Academy