Posted March 13, 2015
We love The Independence School. It has been clear to us from the day we toured and now through the years that every single person at The Independence School cares and cares deeply about the children.

The Independence School 1

Posted March 01, 2015
I graduated top & was offered many h.s. scholarships too. I believe I did well not to the credit of this school. Instead thanks to my parents, I had private tutors & online classes to supplement curriculum deficiencies. As a result, I was well prepared. My tutors were TIS teachers & later outside tutors. I wasn't challenged academically & often discouraged with boredom. We were expected to act a certain way. The teachers weren't caring compared to high school. They weren't knowledgeable & not readily to my inquisitive questions. You were ignored if the teacher didn't like you. Many positive reviews within days of 10/29/14-11/02/14, maybe solicited to flushing out unfavorables. I had a different experience compared to the reviews. The variable experiences may be due to inconsistent teaching methods & teachers not following curriculum guidelines. I did observe kids being bullied. One would not know the existence of bullies if one was not observant & not the one being bullied. Teachers & recess staff often ignored incidents & were too busy socializing. Every school has bullies, so it is how this one process bully incidences. The bullies may be the bullied. Appearance can be deceptive.
14 people found this helpful

Posted February 27, 2015
As the parent of an 8th grade student getting ready to graduate from Independence,I cannot say enough good things about this school.My child will leave this school with a solid academic background and the ability to critically think, as well as efficiently manage her time.I attribute this all to the dedicated teaching staff at Independence that has consistently been available and supportive, at every grade level, for any reason, during school and after school, and even in the evenings via email.My daughter has been challenged and taught on a level unavailable to students at any other area school, and the proof is in the high school acceptances. Every high school she applied to accepted her in the first round, and she was offered over 80k in academic scholarships. She is not alone.Independence students are sought after by all area high schools as they are known to be highly motivated students who have a strong academic base. All of my daughters friends have been accepted to their first choice school, all with academic scholarships. If you're interested in sending your child to a school whose goal it is to prepare children for success in all areas, Independence is the place for you.
10 people found this helpful

The Independence School 1

Posted February 26, 2015
I pulled my daughter out of this school last year simply because the school is getting so horrible. Enrollment rate for this school is declining. Teachers are more concerned about losing their jobs than focusing on teaching. Teacher use more video to teach math rather than actual demonstrating step by step problem solving. My daughter felt extremely bored and not challenging for her learning. The school did not handle bully issues properly, often blame on victims rather than taking corrective actions on bullies. There is no formal bully reporting system like public school system. In my daughter's case, it took several victims, of course including my daughter, to build the history and eventually causing physical harms to one poor kid to get that bully out of the school. The curriculum did not link to common core and parents were never made aware of this change. After seeing my daughter thriving in new school. I really regret sending my daughter to TIS. It's not about the expensive tuition, but I mistakenly place my daughter in such a horrible learning environment. For those parents considering TIS, you might want to think about that again... Will you be getting what you pay for?
17 people found this helpful

Posted February 24, 2015
Independence is an excellent school that has provided a superior education for my children. The school starts as early as preschool and goes through 8th grade. If a parent really wants to find out just how good a school Independence is, they should visit the school in person and check things out themselves.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 06, 2015
We've had three daughters attending The Independence School since preschool. They're now in 5th, 7th and 8th grade. Independence really is a great school and is "head and shoulders" above all the other schools in the area academically. My 8th grader has been shadowing and testing at area high schools and has done extremely well on the testing. This is a DIRECT result of the education she's received at Independence. My only gripe concerning Independence is that I wish it went through 12th grade (and I feel this way even though we have to drive 30 minutes to get there)! You really can't go wrong with this school if you want the best education available for your child.
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 02, 2014
The negativity towards Independence is shocking to me. I have had a wonderful experience as a student there. The teachers and administrators always do their best to push their students to success and distinction. I couldn't be happier with Independence, and I would recommend it to anyone searching the area for good schooling.
8 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
As a former student at Independence, I can say with absolute certainty that Independence has prepared me well for high school with its rigorous academics, as well as teaching me how to manage my time. My teachers always praise "the Independence kids" because we are accustomed to balancing the heavy workload with multiple extracurricular activities. I would definitely recommend Independence to any parent who wishes their child to have a solid foundation to build the rest of their academic career on.
12 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
We have three daughters at The Independence School. The teachers are amazing. At every grade level the teachers have found ways to engage and encourage each of my girls. It has been worth every penny of the three tuitions we pay.
10 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
As an Independence graduate, I am outraged at all the negative comments on this forum. This school has done the best job I could have asked for preparing me for high school and has always gone above and beyond in their academic departments. Independence is well-rounded, and your child is guaranteed to have their strengths challenged as well as their weaknesses nourished and improved. The students are always placed in the highest level classes at their high schools, and many are offered scholarships to local high schools. We fly through freshmen year because Indy has prepared us for balancing significant homework and studying with sports, clubs, and other after school activities. In addition, the Independence community is like no other. The students form bonds that remain strong even after going their separate ways. Some of my best friends are Independence graduates whom I have not gone to school with in over a year, but we remain close as ever. Teachers are always happy to help the students, and create a positive environment where kids can learn and thrive. I honestly can not recommend this school highly enough to anyone.
13 people found this helpful

The Independence School
1300 Paper Mill Rd, Newark, DE  19711
Last modified The Independence School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
The Independence School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top