Newark, DE
Before care: Yes

Posted November 02, 2014
The negativity towards Independence is shocking to me. I have had a wonderful experience as a student there. The teachers and administrators always do their best to push their students to success and distinction. I couldn't be happier with Independence, and I would recommend it to anyone searching the area for good schooling.

Posted November 01, 2014
As a former student at Independence, I can say with absolute certainty that Independence has prepared me well for high school with its rigorous academics, as well as teaching me how to manage my time. My teachers always praise "the Independence kids" because we are accustomed to balancing the heavy workload with multiple extracurricular activities. I would definitely recommend Independence to any parent who wishes their child to have a solid foundation to build the rest of their academic career on.
9 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
We have three daughters at The Independence School. The teachers are amazing. At every grade level the teachers have found ways to engage and encourage each of my girls. It has been worth every penny of the three tuitions we pay.
7 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
As an Independence graduate, I am outraged at all the negative comments on this forum. This school has done the best job I could have asked for preparing me for high school and has always gone above and beyond in their academic departments. Independence is well-rounded, and your child is guaranteed to have their strengths challenged as well as their weaknesses nourished and improved. The students are always placed in the highest level classes at their high schools, and many are offered scholarships to local high schools. We fly through freshmen year because Indy has prepared us for balancing significant homework and studying with sports, clubs, and other after school activities. In addition, the Independence community is like no other. The students form bonds that remain strong even after going their separate ways. Some of my best friends are Independence graduates whom I have not gone to school with in over a year, but we remain close as ever. Teachers are always happy to help the students, and create a positive environment where kids can learn and thrive. I honestly can not recommend this school highly enough to anyone.
10 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
I was a student at Independence for 11 years. It's difficult and academically focused but their is absolutely no place I would have rather spent my elementary and middle school years than at Independence. The community their is amazing and undeniable. They are to this day my family, the teachers are still people I email and, the love I have for all my fellow graduates is immense. I would be lying if I said that there is nothing Independence could do to become a better school and environment, but can't you find something wrong with anything if you look hard enough? Independence prepared me for high school in ways I can not explain. I will be honest, Independence gets you scholarships to high school and many people do not have those chances going to high school. Independence is the most amazing place I have ever been and I will never regret my time there. Give independence a chance and your child will become part of a family and like a family, the support your child will receive will be endless.
5 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
I am currently in tenth grade at Archmere Academy. As a student of 10 years and a graduate of The Independence School, I attribute all of my success to Independence. It provided me with the most solid foundation that I was able to stand on to achieve things. Independence's community and family feel gave me the strength that I needed to explore my interests. In the high school process, schools went crazy from just saying that I came from Independence. I was not the smartest in my grade, but was still awarded large scholarships from various schools. Independence can give your child the confidence he/she needs to become the person he/she aims to be. I started my own non-profit business this past summer, making almost $2,500 in the first two months. I thank Independence has given me the confidence and the strength to find myself and figure out what I'm good at. I have never had any problems with bullying or teachers.

Posted November 01, 2014
As a recent Independence alumni, I am quite frankly appalled and disgusted to view the negative campaigning that is attempting to besmirch the fine and well reserved reputation Independence has cultivated over the years. Independence provided me with a strong balance between rigorous academics, extensive study of the arts, and a multitude of extracurriculars. With teachers always readily available to help, the challenging academics at Independence become very manageable with the sufficient amount of effort. All of the preparation Independence provided me has made the transition to high school smooth and flawless. The students from Independence are consistently the brightest and most prepared at my high school. Yet, Independence does not simply focus on academics, but strives to nurture all the strengths in their students, resulting in well rounded students ready to rise to higher levels of education. I would recommend Independence to anyone who wishes for a healthy, happy environment in which their children can reach heights they thought previously unimaginable.
10 people found this helpful

Posted November 01, 2014
I am a recent alum from The Independence School and I absolutely loved my time there. At the competitive high school I attend, the Indy students are often the most involved, the most motivated and the top of the class. I feel that I was a lot more prepared for high school than some of the other students who came from other schools, and the teachers recognize the students from Independence with high praise. At Independence, I felt it was a solid foundation with a rigorous academic curriculum, supportive teachers, and excellent sports programs and extra curriculars. I still keep in touch with my teachers and many of the students from my grade, and I would recommend the Independence School to any parent or student who wants to be in a supportive and motivated environment.
5 people found this helpful

Posted October 29, 2014
I've had one child graduate Independence, and one currently a student. This school offers it all, academic rigor, social diversity, devoted and experienced teachers, most who have taught there for 10+ years, service projects, STEM, all in a beautiful environment for a comparatively reasonable amount of money. The number of negative reviews claiming subpar academics and inaction on the part of administration in cases of bullying are simply false. Students leave Independence with a tremendous knowledge of English...including literature, writing and grammar, as well as the ability to enter Algebra 2 as freshman in high school, as Independence offers both algebra 1 and geometry. There are numerous sports and activities available to the students, and the school ensures that students are exposed to various experiences via field trips that are enriching and well planned. This school is truly a gem in an area filled with K-8 lower schools that are overpriced and more concerned with social status then with academic excellence, and is for any family that is interested in giving their child an academic and social experience that will put them ahead of their peers.
9 people found this helpful

The Independence School 3

Posted October 02, 2014
My child went to Independence, but we decided to move to a public school. Much to our dismay we have found that our child was below grade level according to the public school standards. It sickened me to think we spent all that money and time and to find out my child is not on par with the other children. He always received excellent grade at Independence, so you can imagine this came as a shock.

The Independence School
1300 Paper Mill Rd, Newark, DE  19711
Last modified The Independence School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
The Independence School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top