No rating

The New School

Private | 34 students

Living in Newark

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $240,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Sweep tile

Posted September 5, 2011

I started at The New School as a ten year old, and in 2004 I was awarded my diploma. The New School helped me cultivate an appreciation for learning and the tools to help me learn about anything I might put my mind to. After The New School, I got into my top choice college without any difficulty, and graduated from that college in 2009. The structure of The New School helped me prepare for college. When I got to college I was already used to structuring my own time, and I was prepared to approach subjects in the way that worked best for me. I also found many ways in which my time at The New School prepared me for work. My time working to govern the school (as well as my time) made it easy for me to learn how to assess projects that needed to be done and accomplish them well and in a timely manner in a work environment. I think in any other school I would have had a harder time coming out of my shell and really thinking about what I was doing and why it was important. Overall my experience was positive and I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Posted August 23, 2011

I attended The New School from the time I was 8 years old until I received a diploma. As is true of anything worth doing, it requires a great deal of those who approach it. But, the education attainable there surpasses any school of which I am aware.

Posted August 23, 2011

I received a diploma from The New School, and found it to be an excellent place for an education. I was regularly challenged to improve in many ways, and although the challenge was often difficult, I stayed with it. I am extremely happy that I did. The staff members encouraged me to be a better person, not just to get better grades. As a woman in this modern age, I can see that this school is exactly what girls need to help them become strong, capable women as they face the challenges of growing up. Before I went to The New School I attended three different public schools. My classmates and I did not feel like we belonged. We could tell that we were thought of as no more than test scores. I saw people there engaging in activities that even an adult should blush to see. The teachers knew what was going on, but never helped the children, except academically. Children need the support and love of adults who are willing to stick their necks out and do what is right for the children rather than turn a blind eye. As I still go to the school on a regular basis, I see that this support is something The New School has to offer.

Posted August 23, 2011

At The New School students investigate the subjects that are interesting them now! This allows for a more hands on and "brains on" approach. By approaching learning in this way, students are able to acquire and achieve proficiency in a subject far quicker than with current "traditional" methods that require students to be drug along at the pace of the least interested. While students are not actively pushed into a subject, the structure of the school requires that fundamentals be learned. One must learn how to read, write, calculate costs, research, and diplomatically and effectively argue a point in order to, for example, propose a field trip or other endeavor to the School Meeting. Students are helped, but not babied, when undertaking these challenges. Great emphasis is put on self discipline, interpersonal relationships, the meaning of language and the roots of words, and philosophy, resulting in an effective and intellectually agile person who is a "life long learner". As a diplomate of the school who is still in close contact, I can see that the fundamental philosophy of the school from which I benefited is on going and continues to be actively revitalized.

Posted February 6, 2011

I received my diploma from the New School seven years ago. After that I sucessfully completed my undergraduate education and am doing well in my second year of law school. The New School emphasizes speaking and analysis; students are required to articulate their conclusions and their reasoning in discussion with teachers and other students. This promotes a clarity of speech and thinking that helps the student excel in academics later on. The New School promotes free and engaged learning. Students choose what they learn and form studies with the help of teachers. Students gradually become investigative and engaged in their education. When one student starts a new subject, other students will join in and expand their pursuits. The New School is a supportive and friendly community. Unlike a formal school day setting, there is not a wall of separation between students and teachers. Because students and teachers often engage in conversation the students tend to take on maturer habits.

Posted October 18, 2010

Though some democratic free schools are successful, the New School is not one of them. Many of the staff members/teachers are more interested in guiding students toward their own rigid viewpoints, instead of letting the students explore their interests. This school does not prepare students for further education or to function in the real world, and I would not recommend it.

Posted July 19, 2010

The New School provides an alternative experience for children who love to learn! This school encourages students to be responsible for their own choices, life and happiness by finding out what really works for them. There is no holding back any students with a desire to learn about any topic. We are grateful that our girls love to go to school.

Posted July 19, 2010

The New School is an amazing place where students can explore any topic they choose... They learn how to live, learn, and work together without the limits of a traditional school/classroom/teacher. Before TNS, my children thought that school was something to be endured. How sad is that? We are so grateful that we found another option. Real education for the real world!

Posted July 18, 2010

The New School has been a blessing for me and my family. I enrolled my middle child first, and I was so impressed by the students and staff, and the change in my childs attitude towards learning, that I enrolled my youngest as well. Democratic Free Schooling is what the future of education should be. Come and meet the students and staff of The New School, and I am sure you will be impressed.

Posted January 27, 2009

This is a great school you can learn and develop at a personal rate while still being prepared for real world challenges.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 5, 2008

I would not recommend this school at all. Students are able to choose what they learn, which, for most, is nothing at all. The staff and students have created their own sanctimonious society that in no way prepares students for the real world, academically or socially.
—Submitted by a student

Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Dance
  • Drama
  • Poetry
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

812 Elkton Rd