Gulf Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1000 students

Posted July 16, 2008

This school has changed over the last several years. It has become impersonal and too big. The average student does not get serviced.

Posted April 20, 2008

My daughter has attended Gulf since Kindergarten, I have to say, I have NOT had a bad experience and she is in 2nd grade. From the teachers to the principals, wonderful!

Posted March 26, 2008

My son is in 3rd grade at this school. We moved here in the middle of last school year and we come from an area where the expectations of the children and PARENTS is extremely low. At Gulf Elementary I really feel like everyone is involved in my son's education and truly want him to succeed. He went from failing, barely being able to keep up with his classmates, and really hating school, to making the Honor Roll, and looking forward to doing homework and going to school. This is all within 1 year. My son is being challenged for the first time and really gets to feel good about himself. As a parent, I feel like I know everything that is going on at his school, good and bad. I don't find out things when it is too late to do anything. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!

Posted November 18, 2007

Thius is a big school with alot of students but the learning experiences that they receive is outstanding. The teachers and principals really do care and get involved in all daily activities with the students. They are strict but it helps keep all of the children well behaved and respectful. I highly recommend this school to any parent. The gifted program is awesome!

Posted November 16, 2007

My daughter and son have both gone to Gulf Elementary since Kindergaten. She is now in 5th, he is in 3rd. The school is excellent in every way. This summer they were so excited to go back to school and LEARN! The teachers and principals do their best to keep the kids well behaved and interested... they also organize some great field trips taking advantage of the area we live in. The gifted program is also tops... we are very lucky to have such smart children and a program to enhance their learning experiences. This school is BETTER than a private school. Save yourself the money and put it toward your children's college fund.

Posted July 17, 2007

My son started out in ESE, and was mainstreamed into a regular class this past year. The teachers, administrators, and teachers' aides have all gone over & above to help our son succeed-we have been so pleased, we're even moving our daughter out of private school to attend Gulf. They track each child and make sure they are challenged at the right level for them; not just letting kids breeze through, either bored or overwhelmed.

Posted February 22, 2007

This school is the best elementary school in our zone. Our son started in Kindergarten and his teacher had such great experience that she knew right away that he needed to be moved to 1st grade. The staff and administration worked with our son and our family to determine the proper placement for him and we had a great transition. We know that he is being challenged and learning so much. The principals are extremely responsive and truly watch out for the well-being of their children. The kids are well behaved and the staff and environment is so friendly. The parents are very involved at this school and it shows. We looked at the private schools in the area and had our acceptances in hand, but felt this was a better fit for our family and 2 years later we still know that we made the right decision to choose Gulf.

Posted September 1, 2006

I am so thrilled with Gulf Elementary School. My daughter is in first grade, she started in Kindergarten. I am very happy that this school offers a separate building for children K-2 grades. One of my biggest concerns was that my daughter would be exposed to children 9-10 years old, learning some behaviors earlier than I wished! The curriculum is fantastic - by the end of Kindergarten, she was reading on 2nd grade level and they separate the reading groups by skill level. They do P.E. every other day with other 'labs' in between, including computer, art, music and library. Most of the teachers have been there for years and seem to love what they do. I appreciate that they don't allow children to misbehave to spoil the learning experience for other children. Before you put your child in private school, give Gulf a try. I'm happy that I did!

Posted July 19, 2006

This is a great school. I feel that my kids are exceling at Gulf. The enviroment is friendly and I feel comfortable that my children are really loved by the teachers. There is the usual 'teacher' stuff I call it, meaning some teachers do things a little odd. I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 21, 2005

Our son started kindergarten at Gulf Elementary in August. While we are only approximately two months into the school year our experiences have been very positive. The teacher provides constant communication and feedback. She has been available to meet with us and talk about issues that may concern us. Our son is already happy and settled into his new routine. We can see the progress he makes and most importantly is excited about learning. My only concern would be the lack of school uniforms. Gulf had such an excellent reputation we chose the school in spite of this, but basic uniforms would enhance the learning environment. It is not as much an issue in kindergarten as becomes in the future, but it nearly swayed us from choosing Gulf. Especially with most schools in the distric already having basic uniform requirements.

Posted August 16, 2005

This is a great school. It seems as though the teachers really care about their students and strive to make sure they are learning to their greatest potential.

Posted July 25, 2005

Mrs. Kernick is a great asset to Gulf Elementary. In my daughters class however was filled with unruly children who parents were uninvolved making it difficult for the 'good' ones to learn. Mrs. Kernick did her best with the resources that were available.

Posted November 26, 2004

I have 3 children in this school and am extremely pleased. I love this school and highly recommend it.

Posted June 24, 2004

Our experience with Gulf Elementary has been limited thus far, but from what I can tell they are a wonderful close-knit school. The VE programs are well rounded with excellent teachers. The principal is caring, the staff effecient, and the teachers attentive. I only have refrence of this school via their VE programs, and I have been nothing but impressed thus far. Gulf has recieved a grade of 'A' based on their FCAT testing. The campus is nice, and they are building a new building to make it better. I can't think of one negative thing to report on this school. We are very pleased!

Posted November 5, 2003

I have two boys going to this school now and even went so far as to move within 1 mile to make sure they go there. Teachers are extremely motivational to kids. I couldn't ask for a better school.

Posted October 27, 2003

My daughter attended this school from K-5th. Now my son is in 2nd grade at Gulf Elementary. I could not be any happier with the Principal, teachers, and staff. I feel my children are getting a private school education in a public school setting. The parent participation is wonderful and this is attributed to the encouragement on the part of the Gulf Elementary staff. I have been picking up and dropping off for 7 years and have never had a problem considering the amount of parents dropping off their children. Keep up the great work!

Posted October 6, 2003

This is my daughter's third year at Gulf Elementary. The principal is outstanding and works well with parents and students. I am very pleased with the super education my daughter is receiving.

Posted September 9, 2003

Student drop off and pick up, needs a lot of work.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have to say that Gulf Elementary is an EXCELLENT school. The teachers are awesome and truly care about all of the kids. The principal works right alongside the staff to keep Gulf an A rated school. I would definitely recomment Gulf Elementary to any parent.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

179 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

178 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

176 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

179 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

178 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

178 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3400 Southwest 17th Place