Clearwater, FL
Students enrolled: 1,804
Before care: Yes
After care: No

Posted August 18, 2014
I currently go to this school and I can say this is a terrible school. Last year was the worst, not only is our principal and APs the inconsiderate, disorganization group of people I've ever met. But that expect more out of the student than possible, like trying to pull a diamond out of a rock. Not only is this school dirty, and unsafe if a real lock down would accur ( the front gates can't really be lock and the most easiest thing to break into) but it's disgusting. Last year there was a sudden and game changing rule that was given to us the day before our second semster exams. The rule was if we didn't as a freshman, sophomore, junior have the approximate amont of credits (freshman should pass with 7 credits) we would be retain. As most know we receive half of our credits during first semester exams and the people who didn't pass a exam would be retain. That bomb they drop on our shoulders a day before some of us took our EOCs was completely, and utterly uncalled for and could of waited until next year. They didn't give hints, or any regards towards that matter, and completely drop it on us suddenly. I absolutely hate that school.

Posted January 11, 2014
I was recently a substitute teacher at this school. The majority of the kids in each class were good, but the terrible ones ruined it. When I talked to a regular teacher about discipline she told me not to bother calling the office unless there was a fight in class. There were constantly students roaming the halls and attempting to come into my classroom to visit their friends. On occasion I saw an administrator roaming the halls but this seemed ineffective as I had to expel students trying to enter during every one of my seven periods. After my most horrendous period of the day, I was able to talk with one of the well behaved students. He informed me that the class was always this way. The regular teacher yells at the group of 4-5 guys who are extremely disrespectful and disruptive, but they don't behave much better for him. The amount of profanity, racial slurs, misogynistic and sexual language I was exposed to made me sick. I feel bad for the majority of the kids at this school who have to try and learn in this toxic environment.

Posted May 26, 2013
It is amazing to me how people can tear down a school because of the physical plant that administration and faculty have NO control over. Clearwater High and its staff are head and shoulders over so many other programs. They offer each student and their family so many academic choices fitted to their needs. Unfortunately CHS has a very mobile student body and county and state records cannot follow when students leave (for what ever purpose). The actual graduation/success rate of CHS is far higher than 74% it is just that so many students/families leave and disappear from record. The program/academic choices available here is outstanding. The administrative team pays individual attention to the students and can call most students by name walking down the halls. Academics, arts and athletics work very good together at CHS. ESOL and other programs identify and nuture students with needs. FCAT needs are addressed on all levels of subject testing. As a former student and educator of CHS I am pleased with the continual improvement being carried out. Community/business support is still strong for CHS. "Good ole CHS" is strong. Two astronauts from one school...next?

Posted December 06, 2012
My daughter is a senior, this year, and has been enrolled in the CAICC program since becoming a student at CHS in 9th grade. I have been continuously impressed by the effort put forth by most of the faculty, and the administration, during her time there. Most, not all, of the honors and AP classes have been challenging. She has been accepted, so far, by every college she has applied to. I see where there are comments about the condition of the school and new dress code. I applaud the administration for trying something different, (dress code this year and implementing the Kindle program 2 years ago). Time will tell if they were the correct decisions, but at least there was an attempt to buck the status quo, which doesn't seem to be working in most of Pinellas County's other high schools. If the physical condition of the school concerns someone, talk to the School Board and the PC Administration, they're ultimately responsible, not the individual schools.

Posted August 09, 2012
As an involved parent of an honor student I am beyond disgusted with this school. It is a dump physically, it is literally falling apart. The dress code is a pathetic attempt at trying to control the bad students by harassing the good ones. The guidance counselors are a joke. They do nothing!!! Tornadoes is an appropriate mascot for CHS, it certainly is a disaster.

Posted April 18, 2011
My daughter attends this school and is a freshman. She is in the CAICC (International Finance Program). I think it's a great school and great program. The discipline policy is strict. The Principal and staff all work very hard. Parental involvement is outstanding. Academically, it's a great school, it even produced two NASA astronauts!

Posted March 14, 2011
I LOVE I RATED THE SCOOL A 5 STAR SCHOOL! i RECOMMENCED PEOPLE AND STUFF..

Posted January 21, 2010
My daughter graduated from Clearwater and received a wonderful education. I was always involved and feel she put much effort into her Education She received Bright Futures and also did the early college program She graduated college with two BA and a minor I believe you get what you put into it. Discipline has been a problem for years and that begins at home you can not blame our teachers for that If parents can't control their children how do you expect our schools to So lets go back to teaching our children respect values and morals Clearwater is an excellent school

Posted January 13, 2010
I am an attending student of Clearwater High school, and I think middle school was more challenging. I was trying so hard to get honor roll in middle school, but effortlessly I am getting straight A's here, in honors and AP classes. I don't think it is because the teachers are amazing at what they do, some of them are, but most of the teachers just can't gain control of the students, even in the CAICC program, which is supposed to be for honors students.

Posted October 03, 2009
I graduated from there and know how hard all the teachers, etc. work to provide a balanced education

Clearwater High School
540 South Hercules Avenue, Clearwater, FL  33764
Last modified Clearwater High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Clearwater High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top