Oak Grove Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1069 students

Posted April 8, 2014

ADMINISTRATION AND TEACHERS ARE WONDERFUL. VERY CONCERNED WITH SAFETY OF STUDENTS AND ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE. THE BAND DIRECTOR IS OUTSTANDING. VERY WELL ORGANIZED AND EXCELLENT PROGRAMS.

Posted March 3, 2014

School is just plan out horrible, the teachers are not very Good educators. As I took the timetto research this school I found that it's a school full of bully and fights. Kids of all learning capable learn the same. My child has adhd and so does half of the students there. If it's a program that's set up at this school for them, besides the free tutoring it has fell allot of kids and parents. I wish I knew how to find out if there Getting funded cause I would have been reported this School. In order for your child to succeed at this school you have to f do everything in your power to just get them the heck out. The resource officer is rude and very unprofessional. The principles sit behind her like she a guard dog, while our children fins for themselves. It's to late for me to get my child out this year, but I'm already trying to get my child enrolled somewhere else next year. Just a all around horrible School.

Posted April 10, 2012

As a teacher and a parent at this school, I love the school. The administration is very supportive of parents, students, and teachers. My son loves the school. The teachers are very helpful and go out of their way to help the students. My son has gone to the school for two years and I have taught there for three years. I can't imagine a better school to be a part of!

Posted March 23, 2012

The lack of communication amongst the Asst Principals is terrible. They hand out punishments WEEKS after the child gets in trouble and the lack of compassion that some of the teachers and Asst Principals have is something to be desired. I am not happy with Oak Grove and I really wanted to feel good about my child attending this school but it is only a fair school.

Posted November 15, 2011

i went to ogms my last year of middle school as an advanced kid it was horrid compared to the middle school. i came from. most the teachers are incompetent and belived art and originalty is not important so as an artist i was angery when a teacher told me that "this is a place for learning not something as unimportant as art." my ears surely they trick me i could not belive what i had heard that from a teacher. there is a lot of bullying that teachers see then walk away as is if it wasnt their problem and the teaching is OK at best. i have said this many times that the school may look pretty and clean but its only there to distract you from the blood on the floor! ( seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Posted April 6, 2011

My daughter attended 6th grade at Oak Grove after coming out of private school. She would come home often and tell me about fights among students, esp. between 7th & 8th graders. She seemed to like a majority of her teachers and complained abt only 1 of them who yelled at the students quite a bit. The most shocking thing to me was the fact that there was always a CPD officer "on guard" at the school. Between that and the fact that students were no longer allowed to use lockers, I was worried about my daughters safety. She told me that a teacher had explained to the kids that the lockers were no longer used because of drug and weapon problems in the recent past. And this is 12 to 15 year olds!!!!! Also, when my daughter came home asking for a nose piercing because girls at school had them, I decided it was time to find another school.

Posted January 3, 2011

I went to Oak Grove for 6th grade and most of 7th but then I had to move. I was so upset to move because the school is FANTASTIC! Parents think that its terrible but they dont go their the students do. They need to realize its not the teachers or staff doing a bad job. They need to contact the school board not just the staff and teachers. There is more going on than just teachers not responding to their emails. How many kids go to this school. Think how many teachers there are. Think about the papers that need graded and the life they have at home. Do you truely think that they are going to be able to respond to 50+ parent emails. NO! So please take in a students perspective on the matter of how they had it. THANK YOU!

Posted April 19, 2010

As a parent, I too am disappointed in OGS. My daughter which loved it her first year, now wants to be transferred out and trust me I'm looking to send her else where. I have attempted to contact teachers via the 'Parent Connect' with poor response. When I either call the school or visit the front office, to speak with her teachers, it's impossible and the staff gives parents attitude. Get real staff! You owe it to the parents to respond to questions about our childs education and safety concerns. This school has gone down hill fast and I hope it gets corrected!

Posted April 8, 2010

Oak grove middle is a greaat school. I went 7th & half of 8th. [only because i moved] Oak grove is a great school. any child is lucky to go there. i have learned so many new things, not just about school work but also about life. the teachers are amazing! they were always by my side making sure i understood the subject.. They have block schedle this year which is better to me case you have 2 days to do your homework and not one. I really like oak grove middle and if i could stay i would of. :) Oak grove middle is the best place for your child. [& their volleyball team is amazing! :]

Posted March 16, 2010

I'm disappointed in OGMS. This is the 2nd year my daughter has attended. There's lots of fights and bullying and nothing much gets done about it. Several students have been suspended several times but it has no effect. The advanced classes are no different than the regular curriculum and there is a lack of discipline and control.. But the most disappointing thing is the fact that last year most of the teachers just gave busy work and seat work to the students. Then they had a big push for block schedule so they could be more creative but most of the classes just use the extra time to do homework. There are standout teachers like Ms. Trefethen that are excellent but they are few and far between. Also: They took away lockers so now my daughter has to carry a heavy backpack all day long and has nowhere to put a

Posted July 30, 2009

I'm a 6th grader now going to 7th this year and the school is amazing some teachers are fun others strict but you enjoy it no matter what! I can't wait for school to start this year! It's going to be great!!!

Posted January 31, 2009

Hi i want to oakgrove last year for all 3 years and i love the teachers and the staff they did a great job teaching me. Also the school is noot a bad school at all your always safe and the kids make a lot of friends her because there all friendly and kind. also you would like the elextives that they have. also before fcat thats all they do is prepare you for the fcat so you can pass the fcat. so thtas a good thing. The only thing i dont like about it is the lockers there to small to put all of your stuff in. other wise the school is a great school to go to. i loved being at the school for the 3 years i want there, so i think your kids will to. so send them to oakgrove they will treat there student great.

Posted August 13, 2007

The only thing I can say is I wish they were required to wear uniforms. Other than that- exemplary school.

Posted August 8, 2007

I think Oak Grove is doing a good job. They could be doing better.

Posted August 8, 2006

They need a before and after school program,such as R Kids or the Y.M.C.A. School doesn't start until 9:45 and classes end at 4:05,yet I constantly hear the staff complain that kids shouldn't be on the property after 4:30 or before 9:15.Hello? Some parents have to work,and it's too dangerous to let these children walk home in this day and age(especially in Florida)! I moved to this area years ago (before 'Choice') specifically so my children could attend the schools in this neighborhood.Plumb Elementary and OakGrove Middle. Plumb has a before and after school program under the auspices of the Y.M.C.A. Honestly,it never occuured to me that OakGrove would not have a similar program. They need one!

Posted July 4, 2006

Hi! I went to this school for 3 months and i really liked the experience. The teachers are amazing, espesially mr. Dreslin. Kids are pretty friendly. You'll learn a lot in this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 14, 2005

The Academic Programs are excellent. Music ,I can personally say, is great. I enjoyed band for three years. Overall the school is very good.

Posted January 9, 2004

Glad the school is being rebuilt however more thought should have been given to the fact that these poor kids must carry all books to and from home and throughout the day - every day. My son is already complaining of a sore back. Who will pay for the doctors visits? I feel that students should be allowed to keep books in their respective classes - any chapters needed for homework assignments should be copied by the teachers and handed out to the students - and umbrellas should be supplied by the school board especially since they put restrictions on the type deemed safe - the small ones are only big enough to keep the head dry - so what about the backpacks, the many pairs of shoes/sneakers the kids will need during the rainy season? Seems the school board should provide an expense account; each child should be provided an umbrella and 3 pairs of shoes per year until the new school is ready. So much for a free education.

Posted January 9, 2004

I had 2 children at Oak Grove and I am sending my third there next year by choice. I feel that even though the distance away and the construction is an inconvienence it is one of the best middle schools in the county. I would like to see a larger choice of electives and sports but that is a budget problem, not a school academic issue.

Posted July 29, 2003

Hey! I'm a 7th grader at Oak Grove Middle School and I think they do a pretty good job of mostly everything. I have no complaints about thier food because I've never had it. Some teachers can be a real...problem when it comes to some of the wok they give but thank someone for not having all the teachers like that!!! 6th graders shouldnt worry about coming to this school because for oone thing you wont get beat up unless the moon hits the earth which isnt likely to happen anytime soon! The band program is great and the band directer does a great job although he could be a little stricter I think but dont worry about him letting kids goof off he is good when it comes to that! So overall I give this school a 4 overall B in my terms. The only thing wrong with this school is the lockers are too small (they cant do much about that!), there are way too many kids currently attending this school, and lastly they are most ikely going to make us go in to portables in Dec or in 2004. Well I hope this helped to you worrysome parents out there 6th grade is no sweat!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

310 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

315 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

375 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

374 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

370 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

370 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

369 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

371 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

425 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

n/a

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music