Pine Ridge Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 820 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 4, 2013

Very disappointing - I was hoping the other reviews weren't accurate, but they are. The office lacks organization upon enrollment of new students. The principal is very rude and unprofessional. There is a lot to learn as a parent coming into a new school, unless you are told at enrollment. Yet your treated rudely by their leader for not knowing. Not a very welcoming experience. I would not recommend this school.

Posted November 22, 2013

OUR G-SON has been there 2 years he needs help with reading/ and understanding some problems some things need to be EXPLAINED . he said 1 day that if he comes up (teacher)1 more time 4 help he will b on (RED ) list. This teacher or 1st g) teacher said he is DYSLEXIA! yet from what i understand THERES NO HELP OR GUIDANCE. I feel very heart broken for him and his mother .NO DIRECTION!

Posted November 13, 2013

Not sure how this school is an A+ school. We moved here from another state. The curriculum was at least 6-9 months behind the school we left. My kids were not challenged, the teachers yelled constantly at the kids. My youngest was bullied - verbally then physically assaulted. Nothing was done. We also have food allergies. They have no rules on food, handing out treats whenever they feel fit to anyone who will take it with no way of knowing, caring or keeping track of the kids who might be allergic. When we first enrolled, we mentioned on every form and several times verbally my kids would be car riders. Vague instructions were given on how this process works, but no sign (which apparently I needed). After a week of picking up my kids, I got 'pulled over' by someone who asked where my sign was and informed me I needed one and to get one right away. Not where or how to do, just get one. I was then yelled at by 3 other staff members for the same thing. Not one offered to get one for me or apologized it wasn't given to me upon enrollment. A few days later I learned the first woman was in fact the principal. What a missed opportunity to welcome a new family to your school.

Posted June 8, 2013

My child went to Pine Ridge from K-3rd grade and the 1st year was fantastic. Loved the teacher and the communication between teacher and parent. After that, it was downhill. The last straw was having my all A and some B student, in a half special education class. There my child was picked on and bullied by other students. When she finally had enough and said something to the teacher, my child was put on yellow for the day and told to go sit down. Since the class was split the teacher had to teach half her class then teach the other half, my daughter didn't ever have the ability to go and ask questions. Her grades suffered and for the 1st time she made a C. I am glad we will no longer be dealing with the bullies or the teacher who doesn't seem to care about the students that do well and follow the rules. I am sure that it is not fair to either group of children in the class to have their time split in half.

Posted May 29, 2013

The teacher's are not monitored closely enough. One of my children was spending most days in the "quite room" because the teacher was angry with a student that would literally throw temper tantrums and was allowed to disrupt the classroom, other students took the brunt of her frustration. I wasn't told my child was missing so much of the limited classroom instruction time until fourth quarter. This year one of my children's teachers took away my child's class tshirt (each of the students were give one by the school), she actually kept and never returned it. After discussing this with the principal it still wasn't handled appropriately. A boy on the bus was picking on my daughter and the vice principal handled it so poorly it was difficult to get her to go to school, my child now does not trust teachers or administration. We've had problems with one teacher in particular this year, with mentoring she could improve and be a great teacher but she needs must assistance. We try never to complain about anything and are thrilled this will be our last year at Pine Ridge!

Posted March 9, 2013

This school was great when my child was in K but first grade has not been the best and the school claims that they had problems with my child last year but if they did I didn't get anything on it and my child went from starting the school year out on a 2 grade math level and they did another evaluation and had now dropped to below average!! Looking into a new school

Posted October 12, 2012

My child is currently in first grade at Pine Ridge Elementary and so far we are very pleased with the school. The teachers have been great and I feel the Principal and Assstant Principal are doing an amazing job and really care for each student.

Posted September 21, 2011

The curriculum in Lake County is a total joke. First graders are expected to read without being taugh phonics, after they were allowed to "journal" in Kindergarten by spelling words phonetically any way they pleased. I got a nite from her teacher because the "poem" homework. Really?!? I was too busy with the other more important homework -that takes over an hour EVERY NIGHT- to bother with COLORING. First grade teachers from schools in another state are in agreement with me that the lesson plans are completely backwards. How is my student to be expected to sound out words if the proper way to pronounce vowel/vowel and consenant blends aren't being introduced? The curriculum writers are obviously morons.

Posted September 5, 2011

Pine Ridge is great place for kids!!! They have a great staff who love and care for students!

Posted July 22, 2010

My child is special needs. They have met and continue to meet her needs every year that she has been there. The staff is wonderful. The teachers are the best! Two thumbs up from me. I love this school.

Posted October 21, 2009

Always had the best teachers, loved the principal, cares about each and every student.

Posted October 21, 2009

Great school!! Love the teachers and the new principal!!

Posted December 3, 2008

I have 2 daughters at PRE. We are incredibly happy with the school, the staff and the administration. My chldren look forward to going to school because they are so comfortable with the environment. There is a fantastic volunteer program and the parents are very welcomed if they are interested. School safety is a #1 priority to Ms. Kinat. She is a very strong leader who has the respect of her staff. We could not be happier with our teachers. They view themselves as an extension of the parents. That is what we all need!! Terri

Posted November 18, 2008

Education at this school is a joke. I realize the Sunshine State Standards are low across the board, but this school takes the cake. If your child is gifted, they sit there bored. They teach the FCAT. No more, no less. Parents are welcomed for certain events, such as evening Science Fairs, Field Trips or other specified times when they NEED parents help. But other than that, the over all feeling is that parents are not very welcomed. Bullying and teasing is not addressed. I have heard from other parents that threats/bullying towards their children, have been swept under the rug. My child has been teased and made fun of only to be told, by the teacher, 'don't tattle', when he tried to tell her. Considering the problems that schools have had across America regarding bullying, I find this extremely disheartening. I would encourage parents to look elsewhere for their child's education.

Posted November 7, 2008

I love PRE!!! It is a wonderful school and both of my boys love it there! The teachers are awesome and stay in touch with the parents. The principal and office staff are great too! Very small town atmosphere. The school is serious about keeping the kids safe and giving them a great learning environment. I was skeptical due to the reviews on this site, but they were not accurate. I couldn't be happier with Pine Ridge!

Posted September 17, 2008

i was almost scared to send my son here because of all the bad reviews! i dont know why, it's a great school! The staff is so incredibly nice and helpful, better than the private school here. and I met the principle, shes very nice too! she's just really busy, i guess thats why people see her as grumpy, but shes sweet.

Posted September 17, 2008

This school is great my daughter has been going there for 4 yrs k to 3rd grade Teachers are wonderful and the admin is top notch

Posted March 29, 2008

This school has no extra help for child who do not have a medicial disability. If your child is average but learns slower than the rest than they will fall through the cracks...and if your child is an A student and is bored... they tell you to put them in a different school because they have no excel classes. The district makes up there own rules and you as a parent have no say. They teach the kids how to take 1 test and that is the FCAT test which they terrify them into learning. They only offer any kind of help only until they take these test and once they are over there is no more help--so the children who need the extra help gets nothing after that...Not in the best interest of the children. The teachers are good but some feel the same way with these test.

Posted October 1, 2007

My kids started Pine Ridge last year 2006 and I didn't even know who the principal was until mid way through the year! I have two children in this school and the teachers are hit or miss you either get a really good teacher or a really bad teacher. The way that the students are assigned music, art, PE, and library is confusing, it is not on the same day every week and sometimes they don't one or more of them in any given week. There is no point in allowing the children recess because there is no where for them to play and expell some of that energy that kids have. They have a basketball court but the teachers in each class have to provide the equipment to play, equipment is not provided by the school for recess. I come from up north and school's there seem to care more.

Posted August 29, 2007

I truly enjoy the VPK program & their teachers. They are wonderful. My son is in the program & Mrs. Myers & her assistance are great w/the kids. My son enjoys going to school each day and for there caring ways, I thank you.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

138 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Asian 3% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10245 County Road 561