366 students|Volusia

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 24, 2015
My son's 2nd grade teacher was very ineffective. The teacher across the hall had a chair thrown at him by a student.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted September 24, 2015
My son only experienced humiliation and shame. I do not think this promotes persistence or determination.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted September 24, 2015
No. It was obvious to me right away that this administration did not respect anyone unless they came from a similar socioeconomic background as they themselves or their parents before them. They were unable to discuss with me the objections I had about placing my son into the 2nd grade before he went through the 1st grade without the use of sarcasm or disdain towards me asking questions about the decision.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted September 24, 2015
I observed the Principal arguing with parents and storming around the campus. She appears to be coming unglued. The teacher my son had used techniques and language that would imply using humiliation and embarrassment as a teaching tool.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted September 24, 2015
The office staff was rude and argumentative. I asked about Spanish classes and the staff member reviewing my son's paperwork said, "why?, we all know how to speak Spanish." She was very sarcastic too.

Posted September 24, 2015
I enrolled my son in McInnis in August of 2013. He made it 2 days. My son never went through the 1st grade and I requested that he be placed in the 1st grade and they refused. I was told they placed transfer students based on age only. In addition, this is not a primarily English speaking school and they do not offer Spanish classes for those of us that are not familiar with the Spanish language. My son came home crying and distraught for 2 days. He would say none of the kids in his class spoke English unless they were answering a question in class. To make matters worse his teacher called him stupid and told him he did not know how to read in front of his entire class. It was the worst public school experience ever. I pulled him immediately and enrolled him in a private school. He is in the proper grade, in the top 1% of his class and is happy & well adjusted.

Posted December 18, 2013
I moved here 3 months ago and enrolled my son. In that 3 month period, my son has learnt mexican gang signs, exhibits unfavorable behaviour and has dropped a grade in every subject. I actually came to this website looking into transferring him to another school. Unless you don't care about how your child does academically and socially, you might want to look into other options. I would also like to add that some of the teachers here are wonderful. Unfortunately, there is only so much they can do on their own. I have never in my entire life seen such a poorly run school. I think that having a principle that showed genuine interest in the students and the school would be a great place to start.

Posted June 20, 2012
The Principal @ this school is NOT parent friendley. This principal hides behind her office door and it's like pulling teeth to get her to return a parents phone call. After many phone calls to the school, and then the district office in Deland. I as a parent had to go into McInnis school's office demand a meeting with the principal told them I wasn't leaving till I met with her did I get a meeting. The way this school in ran is VERY Unsatisfactory and is doing a disservice to our community. I am ashamed of this school and will be seaking a school that not only has Challenging academic programs for my daughter, better teachers, Strong principal/school leadership and is a parent friendly place.

Louise S. Mcinnis Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2011
The teachers here are awesome. My kids love the Principle and the Assistant Principle. However, There is absoluty no parent participation. This is due to the amount of Mexican families who are scared to get involved. Don't judge by there scores, because it is hard to keep the scores up since so many parents pull their kids out of school for wees at a time and then reregister there kids when they get back. They return right before FCAT testing without any preperation. For thosekids that do stay they get an excellent education. I have 3 kids in the school and they love it and exceed. We need to change legistration saying that after missing so many days of school they are not allowed to take the FCAT test. This is how it was at one time. This should not apply to kids with medical reasons if they are tutored at home and keep up with their work.

Posted October 21, 2009
McInnis is wonderful, the teachers are there to help at all times and everyone is very friendly. My daughter already learned so much in the first couple of weeks of school, it is amazing.

4970 U.S. 17, De Leon Springs, FL  32130
Last modified Louise S. Mcinnis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Louise S. Mcinnis Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top