Saint Barnabas Episcopal School

Private | PK-12 | 380 students

Living in DeLand

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $79,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted today

Well this is my third time writing a review in the last two weeks, my last two were not posted. I am beginning to wonder why? Seems as though only the positive reviews are being posted. What's up with that?! I am going to try one more time. In my opinion, This school is all about the money. Some of the teachers are very nasty. They offer no help for children with any kind of learning challenges, not even tutoring. As long as you keep your mouth shut and go along everything will be fine, but the minute you buck the system you are the enemy. If you go to the administration about a problem with a teacher they run right to them and tell them what was said. They take your money and act as if they are doing you a favor letting you come there. I have been there for 6 years but this is my Last! I have sooo much more I could say all negative!!! But will just leave you with this, BEWARE you will not get your monies worth!!

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

As a parent, I like the small, nurturing environment. My kids have had mostly positive interactions with their teachers and the leadership. I would recommend this school to my family and friends.

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

I love this school. There is great school safety. The teachers are fantastic and go above and beyond to help your child achieve. They are pricey but if you can afford the cost I highly recommend this school.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

This is our 2nd year at St. Barnabas and it was best decision we ever made. Fabulous staff and excellent learning opportunities. Sooooo glad we enrolled our son here. Highly recommend this school!!!!

Posted August 26, 2013

My son has attended St. Bs for the last 3 years and we LOVE IT I've read a couple or reviews that are way off base. First the comment of cliques and having money and if you dont your ignored. Well we are definately not one of those families we are more the blue collar family that struggles and sacrafices to make it. As to the admid taking on bullying my son had a boy pick on him within 1 day it was handled VERY WELL and to the chilld with ADD not being supported thats ridiculous my son has it and was having a very hard time right away the admid and teachers got together and gave him support they have been AMAZING I have delt with public and special needs and bullying with my son who and daughter no where near the care as St Bs as to the academics WOW i dont know where these other parents are coming from but my son and several of his friends are in the 87% compared to the other 5th graders if you ever attended their awards most of the kids are on honor roll and funny if they are so behind academically then why is my son studying 8th grade science and pre algebra in 6th grade oh and his reading comp is in the 99th so i have NOOO Idea where some of the comments are coming from!!

Posted August 8, 2013

Every negative the other PARENTS have stated in their reviews are absolutely true. This is not the equal opportunity, exceptional Christian school that it claims to be. There is much favoritism here. If a student is related to an employee of the school, of Stetson University or a local physician, they are catered to regardless of their ability; whereas many of the truly academic and Christian students are passed over. From the class room to the special groups to sports, it is the same thing. Although there are several great teachers, there are more that are not. The administration has exuded her positions throughout and this is what you have (as I and others have stated) Parents are involved and make up a large portion of the school's energy. Thousands of volunteer hours are donated each year by the schoo'ls families; however, the cliques are even evident there. We along with many others have been very disappointed in our experience with St Barnabas.

Posted June 20, 2013

The most caring and compassionate teachers and an excellent education all in one great place. Thanks SBES!

Posted May 13, 2013

St. Barnabas Episcopal School in DeLand has been a toxic place for my children and our whole family. Academic opportunities are there, but in an environment of bullying, cliques, and behavior that is far from representative of Episcopal missions it's hard for many kids to focus on their education. The Head of School is more interested in furthering her personal brand than in abating the cliques, bullying, and unkindness that runs rampant in the Middle School. She exercises horrible retribution for any parent who might disagree with her; she was rude and dismissive with me when I asked questions about bullying treatment my son received. As an Episcopalian at another parish, I am sadly removing my children from this school. I plan to ask my priest to alert the Rector at St. Barnabas and the Bishop, so they can step in and check attitudes and accountability--the school needs ministering. The teachers do try to focus on the children, but they appear afraid of retribution if they cross the Head of School, even in an attempt to help kids.

Posted April 5, 2013

I loved this school in the beginning. However as time goes by I find myself becoming less enchanted with it. Everyone I know that has left and started public school are all behind academically. They do cater to certain families. As long as you stay quiet and go along everything is good, but the minute you have a problem and complain You become the enemy. It is a dictatorship for sure. Bullying does go on much as they like to say it don't. The family atmosphere is gone and the class sizes are way too big! They have a if you don't like it leave attitude and that is SAD. There is at least one teacher there that should not be teaching. She is very nasty. I just think when paying this kind of money to send you kids to school you should not have to be so afraid to speak up with any concerns you have.

Posted November 26, 2012

St. Barnabas Episcopal School lives up to its national ranking of a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. They teach to the whole child and all three of our grandchildren have been very prepared for high school and beyond. There are not enough words of praise to thank the teachers, administration and staff for their loving guidance and the academic preparation that students receive each day.

Posted November 20, 2012

We have been at St. Barnabas for 5 years and have been nothing short of impressed. They are both challenged academically, while instructed by excellent and caring teachers. St. B not only educates my children academically, but also spiritually and provides life-lessons to prepare them for the world they face. Thank you for going above and beyond in every way.

Posted November 19, 2012

St. Barnabas has been an excellent school for my two children for the past 5 years. I love how they have a challenging academic program along with Christian values. The Faculty and staff are always friendly and welcoming, and willing to help in any way possible. The students are great and always respectful.

Posted November 19, 2012

St. Barnabas has been the best choice I have ever made for my children! They have both been there since preschool and we wouldn't have it any other way. The Faculty and staff have always been extremely supportive and helpful in every aspect, and my children have become very capable and successful students because of them. They still have close friends that they met first at St. Barnabas. I feel this school is a great environment for academics and encouraging well-rounded students.

Posted July 11, 2012

On paper St. Barnabas sounds like the perfect school. Unfortunately what is written in their brochures and on their website is not a reality. Those with influence are catered to and the rest receive a mediocre education at best. The administration and faculty have an elitist attitude and show no sense of accountability for their actions or the impact of these actions on the children in their care. St. Barnabas was unfortunately a huge disappointment to our family and a time in our children s lives that they would like very much to forget.

Posted July 2, 2012

This is a terrific school! Challenging academics, enrichment programs and creative projects to teach a lesson. My children's teachers were all so nice and communicated with me all the time. The campus is beautiful, and my kids were happy to and from school everyday, excitedly telling me what they do at school. Test scores were great, the curriculum can't be beat!

Posted May 15, 2012

My experience this whole year has been excellent. The communication between the teacher and myself has been amazing and honest. I love that!

Posted May 7, 2012

St Barnabas Episcopal School does not know how to handle bullying. They also do not know how to handle children with any simple needs such as ADD. I am not the first parent with the same prolblem. I have spoken to 3 other families b(who also quit going to this school) who had the same complaint about St Barnbas.

Posted May 3, 2012

Administration is clueless. Parents are snobs. Teachers are unhappy. Academics are worse than public school. Save your money. Don't throw it away here.

Posted March 10, 2012

We think that the overall academics are excellent and the staff is very good at their jobs. Our kids are very happy in 4th and 5th grade respectively. I will note that there has been an influx of 3 new families into our school from another local parochial school. They complained that their "gifted" children did not get the academic attention they needed at the other institution. Apparently being gifted to some means blaming their child's mediocrity on the institution because "how could my child be anything other than gifted?". LOL Have fun with that.

Posted February 29, 2012

My children love this school. All I can say is that it has been nothing but a positive experience for them.

Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
Clubs
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Dr. Betty Creamer
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Associations
  • FLOCS/ACTS
Fax number
  • (386) 822-9417

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• None
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year