No rating

Saint Barnabas Episcopal School

Private | PK-12 | 380 students

Living in DeLand

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $79,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted May 2, 2014

We came to St. Barnabas after a couple of years in the public school system. We were actually very pleased with our public school expereince, however, we thought that we wanted something more for our children. We have not been let down. St. Barnabas has been an amazing place to have our children and they have excelled beyond our imagination since being here. The faith, virtue, and excellence that St. Barnabas speaks about has truly inspired our children and blessed our home.

Posted April 29, 2014

Under new leadership, Yelp for the second time this year lol. I do have a question about that subject. Why did the hiring committee for the school skip over the now head of school and hire a total stranger only to have to fire her 8 mos. later. Then they put the person in charge that apparently wasn't qualified the first time around ? As for the teacher commenting on the parent who's child needs a little extra, what were they expecting ? Probably what they were promised by the administration. I know myself they promise you the moon and don't deliver ! Also one thing they probably would have gotten in public school is a smaller class size and a lot less homework ! Also is it true the school had to stop advertising itself as a blue ribbon school because it's been like 10 years since they were awarded that status?

Posted April 29, 2014

I agree with the teachers comments to the parent who's child needs tutoring. St. Barnabas is a school well suited for children that excel academically. And families that are willing to spend their evenings at the dinner table doing homework . If your child can't handle the rigorous workload here then yes you should find a place better suited for him/her. My child is doing very well here and we are happy with the school.

Posted April 28, 2014

This is our first time at a private school and contrary to what I 've been told about private schools, St. Barnabas has proven to be an excellent choice for us. My child loves coming to school and is excited about being involved in plays, projects, and sports. We really enjoy that they give a religious study class and they participate in chapel. The school is small in numbers so their students have a close relationship with one another. Nothing is perfect but St. Barnabas is pretty close.

Posted April 28, 2014

To the parent who says they aren't getting their monies worth. If anything I can gather from your thoughts is your child is needing some kind of special help for a (developed) learning disability. I have seen teachers and other children tutoring their peers. For a school the size of St B a special ed teacher is out of the reach for the salary they will need to be paid for the cost of your tuition. What were you expecting? You talk to the administration about a teacher but how is the teacher to know your concerns if they don't talk to their teacher. It seems team work is well at work here. Accept that your child has gotten the best of education your money has bought and would your child be as far as they are now had they been in public school all this time? Yes it is about the money. Giving a child the best education at the next to lowest price (to public school) a parent can afford. And again this year a St Barnabas graduate student achieved another award at Deland High with the Medallion of Excellence for academic achievement. Some times things aren't meant to be. Things change. Things don't go the way you want. Lift your child up and find what works best for him/her.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 27, 2014

St. Barnabas is an excellent school. There's no comparison around - and believe, me, we've looked. The teachers are well-educated and very dedicated. They communicate constantly with parents. The classrooms are well-appointed with smartboards, carpeting, and new-looking desks. The extra-curricular classes like Music, Art, P.E. and Spanish are really great. The Music teacher puts on very nice shows and plays, and the kids take these very seriously. The older kids travel off-campus once a week for P.E. for six-week concentrations, including swimming and tennis. The school also has bus transportation to and from New Smyrna and Father Lopez/Daytona-Ormond. The schools' test scores are in the upper 4% nationally!!! Needless to say, the students are very challenged--but in creative ways, so we really appreciate that! Sixth Grade dedicates part of the last quarter to the Shakespeare experience, where they work with Orlando Shakespeare Theatre and produce a play, memorizing the actual lines. If you're looking for a beautiful campus with excellent teachers and bright, motivated kids, St. Barnabas might just be the place!

Posted April 27, 2014

Under new leadership, both at the school and the church, the school is continuing its outstanding educational program. The closeness of this educational family, not only in the nurturing of the young minds from the teachers, staff, and parents, but in the compassion of how everyone's lives are cared about in this school family is just truly exemplary of its Christian values. These are the children who will be leaders one day. Sometimes it is not all rosy, as the devil tries to lead some astray, but compassion and forgiveness, teaching and patience, wisdom and guidance prevail from the leadership of Mr. Garcia and Father Brian. I see a bright new future for this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 17, 2014

As a parent, I like the small, nurturing environment. My kids have had mostly positive interactions with their teachers and the leadership. I would recommend this school to my family and friends.

Posted April 17, 2014

I love this school. There is great school safety. The teachers are fantastic and go above and beyond to help your child achieve. They are pricey but if you can afford the cost I highly recommend this school.

Posted April 14, 2014

This is our 2nd year at St. Barnabas and it was best decision we ever made. Fabulous staff and excellent learning opportunities. Sooooo glad we enrolled our son here. Highly recommend this school!!!!

Posted August 26, 2013

My son has attended St. Bs for the last 3 years and we LOVE IT I've read a couple or reviews that are way off base. First the comment of cliques and having money and if you dont your ignored. Well we are definately not one of those families we are more the blue collar family that struggles and sacrafices to make it. As to the admid taking on bullying my son had a boy pick on him within 1 day it was handled VERY WELL and to the chilld with ADD not being supported thats ridiculous my son has it and was having a very hard time right away the admid and teachers got together and gave him support they have been AMAZING I have delt with public and special needs and bullying with my son who and daughter no where near the care as St Bs as to the academics WOW i dont know where these other parents are coming from but my son and several of his friends are in the 87% compared to the other 5th graders if you ever attended their awards most of the kids are on honor roll and funny if they are so behind academically then why is my son studying 8th grade science and pre algebra in 6th grade oh and his reading comp is in the 99th so i have NOOO Idea where some of the comments are coming from!!

Posted August 8, 2013

Every negative the other PARENTS have stated in their reviews are absolutely true. This is not the equal opportunity, exceptional Christian school that it claims to be. There is much favoritism here. If a student is related to an employee of the school, of Stetson University or a local physician, they are catered to regardless of their ability; whereas many of the truly academic and Christian students are passed over. From the class room to the special groups to sports, it is the same thing. Although there are several great teachers, there are more that are not. The administration has exuded her positions throughout and this is what you have (as I and others have stated) Parents are involved and make up a large portion of the school's energy. Thousands of volunteer hours are donated each year by the schoo'ls families; however, the cliques are even evident there. We along with many others have been very disappointed in our experience with St Barnabas.

Posted June 20, 2013

The most caring and compassionate teachers and an excellent education all in one great place. Thanks SBES!

Posted May 13, 2013

St. Barnabas Episcopal School in DeLand has been a toxic place for my children and our whole family. Academic opportunities are there, but in an environment of bullying, cliques, and behavior that is far from representative of Episcopal missions it's hard for many kids to focus on their education. The Head of School is more interested in furthering her personal brand than in abating the cliques, bullying, and unkindness that runs rampant in the Middle School. She exercises horrible retribution for any parent who might disagree with her; she was rude and dismissive with me when I asked questions about bullying treatment my son received. As an Episcopalian at another parish, I am sadly removing my children from this school. I plan to ask my priest to alert the Rector at St. Barnabas and the Bishop, so they can step in and check attitudes and accountability--the school needs ministering. The teachers do try to focus on the children, but they appear afraid of retribution if they cross the Head of School, even in an attempt to help kids.

Posted April 5, 2013

I loved this school in the beginning. However as time goes by I find myself becoming less enchanted with it. Everyone I know that has left and started public school are all behind academically. They do cater to certain families. As long as you stay quiet and go along everything is good, but the minute you have a problem and complain You become the enemy. It is a dictatorship for sure. Bullying does go on much as they like to say it don't. The family atmosphere is gone and the class sizes are way too big! They have a if you don't like it leave attitude and that is SAD. There is at least one teacher there that should not be teaching. She is very nasty. I just think when paying this kind of money to send you kids to school you should not have to be so afraid to speak up with any concerns you have.

Posted November 26, 2012

St. Barnabas Episcopal School lives up to its national ranking of a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. They teach to the whole child and all three of our grandchildren have been very prepared for high school and beyond. There are not enough words of praise to thank the teachers, administration and staff for their loving guidance and the academic preparation that students receive each day.

Posted November 20, 2012

We have been at St. Barnabas for 5 years and have been nothing short of impressed. They are both challenged academically, while instructed by excellent and caring teachers. St. B not only educates my children academically, but also spiritually and provides life-lessons to prepare them for the world they face. Thank you for going above and beyond in every way.

Posted November 19, 2012

St. Barnabas has been an excellent school for my two children for the past 5 years. I love how they have a challenging academic program along with Christian values. The Faculty and staff are always friendly and welcoming, and willing to help in any way possible. The students are great and always respectful.

Posted November 19, 2012

St. Barnabas has been the best choice I have ever made for my children! They have both been there since preschool and we wouldn't have it any other way. The Faculty and staff have always been extremely supportive and helpful in every aspect, and my children have become very capable and successful students because of them. They still have close friends that they met first at St. Barnabas. I feel this school is a great environment for academics and encouraging well-rounded students.

Posted July 11, 2012

On paper St. Barnabas sounds like the perfect school. Unfortunately what is written in their brochures and on their website is not a reality. Those with influence are catered to and the rest receive a mediocre education at best. The administration and faculty have an elitist attitude and show no sense of accountability for their actions or the impact of these actions on the children in their care. St. Barnabas was unfortunately a huge disappointment to our family and a time in our children s lives that they would like very much to forget.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)
Clubs
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Paul Garcia
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Associations
  • FLOCS/ACTS
Fax number
  • (386) 822-9417

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year