No rating

Children's House Montessori

Private | PK-8 | 170 students

Our school offers an excellent Montessori educatonal experience.

Living in DeLand

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $99,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

School Official Point of View

Posted February 13, 2014

Children's House Montessori School has had a very stable staff since 2007. The school has grown in population and has maintained a standard of excellence attracting experienced well qualified professionals. Please schedule a visit to more fully understand and appreciate our programs and our environments.

Posted March 7, 2014

LOVE THIS SCHOOL! My children have been attending for 5 years. Having come from a family of more traditional educators, I admit that I have had to dedicate some study to start to really understand the Montessori Method. I have found that some of the rulers that we use to measure traditional programs just dont apply here. For eg, having a low teacher to student ratio just isnt necessary for an effective Montessori classroom. This is evidenced by a class of 28 three to five year olds all happily and quietly on task, learning from older students, teaching younger students, and getting any necessary guidance or new lessons from an attentive teacher. The teachers are remarkably well-trained, effective, and compassionate with any challenges our kids may face day to day. They take the time to know all aspects of every student, so they can help them grown and thrive on every level. The lessons and materials are beautiful and brilliantly created. The outdoor envirnment is huge and magical and essential. The administration is supportive. The parents are active and always contributing to enhance the already awesome curriculum. It is a true community.My children are thriving.THANK YOU CHMS!

Posted February 9, 2014

My son went to this incredible school from 3 years of age, until he graduated from the 8th grade, and he is currently a successful IB student at a public high school. I praise this school so fiercely, my grandson is currently enrolled here now. We were not sure what we were looking for in a school for our son initially, but knew that it had to be something that would challenge him and make him keep reaching, while being in a safe and harmonious atmosphere, we found that and so very much more here. I knew beyond a doubt, that every kind and gentle lesson I taught him at home, was reinforced at school, in conjunction, the lessons that they taught him at school, were reinforced at home. Without a doubt we learned our sons teachers, they learned us, and we all had a vested interest in our son becoming an asset to home, school, life and society. I am so proud to be the mom of my son, he is a Gentleman. Thank you Children's House, and all the incredible people there that make it the incredible learning site that it is, and I look forward to many more years with you as I watch my Little Guy begin his Montessori journey. Bless you!

Posted November 6, 2013

CHMS right now is having issues, with FOM board members leaving, to families leaving because of middle school issues, the teachers are mostly passionate but stuck in there ways! The younger aids and teachers seem more enthusiastic. But if your child does not fit into the Montessori box then you might have issues they seemed to have forgotten that not all children are the same, some need instruction or guidance and that does not make them ill equip to perform!! they don't have a good physical education program that may parents feel would help round out the curriculum. they are in a state of transition right now and it may cause an increase in tuition next year only time will tell!

Posted August 13, 2013

The concept of a Montessori would have been great if they keep the number of students in a class low. My son age 3 went to the primary program (age 3-6) and theres 28 students in one class with 1 primary teacher and 1 aide, thats a lot to handle & hard to give one on one attention especially for the younger ones, the child dictates the pace and they dont seem to have a learning objective or a time frame as to what a child should be learning by a certain time or period. Also the primary teacher seems too keen to observe my childs mistakes and kept asking him why he did it instead of telling him that what he did wasnt right and show them the right way and acknowledge right behavior, a 3 year old couldnt reason out well yet especially coz my son is bilingual and his primary language at home isnt english and its his first school and wasnt on any daycare before. So one time the teacher informed us that he's deviant in the classroom which surprised us coz he wasnt like that at all at home. So after 6 months we decided to move him to a different private school and so far we dont have any issues or complain from his teachers and he seems happier and excited to wake up every school morning.

Posted July 29, 2011

THIS SCHOOLL ISSS AMMAZINNG ! SOOO HAPPY THERE IS GOING TO BE MIDDLE SCHOOOL ! GOOOOOOO MONTESSORI !

Posted November 28, 2010

This school has excellent teachers and the Montessori approach is so different than conventional teaching. Teachers spend one on one with each student, children work hands on materials carefully design and appropriate for the age of the child that correct the child when doing mistakes. I would say the standards of this school are high and according to the State of Florida. I have three children, all of them are learning a lot in this school, I have one in primary, one in lower elementary and one in upper elementary. All these three levels are awesome! I wish this school grow to even teach High School!

Posted September 17, 2009

Children are allowed to be children and learn through exploration. They are taught not only writing, reading, math, and science, but also precious life skills. They learn how to take care of the earth and animals. They are also taught important social skills so often left out of education. This is done in a safe, open environment. Parents are encouraged to take part in the education of their children. It is a magical place!

Posted August 22, 2007

this school offers much more than academics. life lessons are taught and learned at this school. helping out your classmate(s) is encouraged. my sons have been at this school for years and simply thrieving!

Posted March 8, 2007

If you are looking to enroll your child in a private school with small classroom size, this is not it. The primary classes have 30-32 children in each one. Each class has 1 teacher and 1 aid. I am very dissatisfied because if I wanted large classrooms I would send my child to Public school.

Posted February 12, 2007

CHM used to be a wonderful school. The only good thing about CHM is the music program.

Posted February 9, 2007

Children's House is truly an extraordinary educational environment and I wouldn't send my child anywhere else in DeLand (and I looked at all the other options). My daughter loves the outdoor environment, is speaking Spanish, and is absolutely thriving in the music program which is unparalleled in DeLand. Oh, and I did I mention she is only 3 years old? We arrived at the school just after the loss of the teachers and an administrator, and I'm happy to report that the school community has recovered and is thriving. We benefit tremendously from our close proximity to Stetson University, and many children of faculty attend Children's House. Stetson faculty have given lectures to the students and take them on nature walks, etc. and our Christmas program is held on the Stetson Campus. Also, the outdoor enviroment is huge!

Posted October 1, 2006

Yes, this school has had a lot of problems with losing teachers over the past few years, but the quality of education is excellent. I attended from pre-school through eighth grade, and while the vastness of DeLand High (the school that I currently attend) was something that I was unprepared for, the curriculum is just boring. Almost nothing provides a challenge for me at that school. I am fluent in Spanish and am currently learning French with ease because of my excellent Spanish background (courtesy of Children's House Montessori School). I can also guarantee that no other school provides as much in-depth parent involvement as CHMS. This school provided a loving, caring environment that any child should be privileged to have. I highly recommend it. And while we might not have a football team, the overall quality of this school speaks for itself.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 8, 2006

This school has had lots of problems over the past years, losing teachers and administrators.

Posted April 14, 2006

The academic programs here are excellent. Since 3-5 year olds are in the same room, they can do lessons together if they want to. Our daughter was reading before age 5 because she wanted to. Some things are different and make transition to other schools a little difficult (ie., letter sounds but not names are taught in pre-school; cursive is taught starting at age 4). Our daughter, however, transitioned to public Kindergarten just fine. Music and art was fantastic at Montessori, but no real sports programs taught. There is a beautiful and large outdoor play area with a great playground, and gardens and animals which the children care for. Very good parent involvement.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gardening teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Dora L. Mallett
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (386) 736-3667

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Service learning
  • Social justice
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • YMCA

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Tutor