758 students|Volusia

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This is a terrible school!!! I would not recommend this school to anyone! This was my first and last year of my child attending this school, I was so aggravated with the staff and teachers. They are highly understaffed, there is such lack of communication. The protection and safety of the child was not a concern to them. A staff member released my child to someone who wasn't authorized for pick up nor even checked with me before doing so. A lunch lady YELLED at my child to sit down INFRONT of me not knowing I was the parent. The principal is so disconnected with her community. I was shamed by staff for being so involved with my child's progress. The teacher is a joke! She is young, hasn't been teaching that long and doesn't seem to know how to handle younger kids. They make these children go out to PE when it's freezing to them, then wonder why they are all sick. If you are looking to put your child in this school think twice. Probably why their school rating isn't that great.

Although my kid's teacher is nice I barely see her walking her class out to parent pick up area and comes my second issue, this school needs to do something with picking up it is very caotic. People just all over the place kids taking off where teachers not paying attention to who's picking up the child. The parking lot is horrible. The line to pick up if your in the car blocks parking spaces so you can't get out. You literally have to get there 2hrs early just to get a parking space. Please do something with your parking lot.

My kids have gone to this school for four years and I am disappointed to be leaving here.

Ok so im in 8th grade now but i went to Spirit Elem. kindergarten-4th grade and i had the worst time in my other school. I loved Spirit. It had so many fun activities. I also had my favorite teacher EVER who was Mr.Philips. He was amazing and would do a lot of fun things with us and also a lot of help with our work as well this school was a very good school when i went there i just dont know how it is today...

My son loves this school as do I! His teacher, Mrs. Hinson is nothing short of amazing! We are in constant commmunication and she helps my son soar to exceed all expectations! The principal is very sweet and always willing to do whatever it takes to help ALL of her students rise above the rest. His pe coach, coach D, always goes above any expectations to make sure all of his students get the attention they need and teaches them to always stay positive and healthy. He is a true role model. With these three constantly looking out for the kids best interest and nothing else makes this the best school to trust your children in. This is an amazing school and my son loves it as much as I do

I am so happy with Spirit Elementary and my Kindergarten daughter has thrived here. The new Principal is always visible and is so approachable as is the Vice Principal. Her teacher Miss Simpson is wonderful and both the music teachers and art teachers truly have the kids best interests at heart. We were considering private school at one point as an option because of things we had heard about public schools in Deltona, but we couldn't be happier with Spirit and look forward to many years there.

With the change in principal this year, and more personal involvement within the school, I have found Spirit to be a great place for my children. Many new technologies have been introduced to the staff including document cameras and mobi boards which bring student enrichment and academics excelling. If you, as a parent, involve yourself within the school, you are more likely to better understand your child and his needs. The school is very open and loves to see parents helping in all aspects. Student excellece is attrributed by the teachers, staff, and administration at this school.

I went to Spirit from 3rd to 5th grade. I have to say, out of the schools I went to all over the world, this was the best. I had wonderful teachers & passed all tests & exams with flying colors. The teachers there are approachable, nice & intelligent. & Spirit does many activities for students. There is a very high level of parent involvement & that is a key to a stundents success. What a great school!(:

This school's agenda is fun activities but very academically challenged. I am not sure if they deserve the funding they receive as a Title one school. The next principal who takes over is going to have to whip the teachers into shape because I think the teachers were just allowed to skim over the information to students and those lucky few who grasp it by a few threads get to move on to either an inexperienced teacher or one who has been allowed to remain static in their teaching processes. I hope these teachers will retire rather than move to another school where they can mimic the same stale behavior for as long as they can before they retire.

My child has the greatest time there they have great teachers and staff. Thery have alot of fun activities for the children like movie night, science night and much more. They have a news team that reports the school news and safty patrols. I recomend this shool to everyone.

Last modified Spirit Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.