Academie Da Vinci Charter School

Charter | PK-5 | 248 students

Excellent academic performance and integrated arts program

Posted April 17, 2014

ADV is a fantastic school that has so much for my child. It is so great to see your child happy to go to school. Between art, dance, music, and PE my child has had the most opportunity to enrich her education with the arts.

Posted April 17, 2014

Great school and a great principal. We do have some growing pains in the new building but we're working through it. They do have some great events to try and bring everyone together and love the extra's they have such as dance, art and music classes. Overall we are happy!

Posted March 14, 2014

My son has thrived here. Wonderful principal, excellent teachers, parents very involved. Finishing his second year and he has come so far under their guidance!

Posted August 3, 2013

My husband and I have been impressed and very happy with the school. We have an amazing principal who really cares about the students and also maintain a good culture throughout the school. There are only 215 students, which is very good in my opinion (smaller classes more individual attention)....Lots of school functions for the family, wonderful parent involvement, and a great group of kids!! We have never regretted our decision! and my daughter can't be happier...!!!! she loves everything about the school, which tell us a lot as parents. I have done a lot of research and talked to a lot of parents.. an have reinforced many times our decision about this school. Thanks Dr. Ray for everything you do!

Posted August 2, 2013

Those one star reviews are a shame and simply not the whole truth. I have been involved with the school for several years and have never seen a class out of control. Teachers have different styles, but never showed lack of control or disrespect for students. Upon moving to a new building there were hiccups, but now a year into the new facility, these are more than worked out. The new playground is shaping up, student achievement is high, and safety is pinnacle. Baycare does share a portion of one building, but there is just one locked door that cannot be accessed from the lab side. Besides, every patient is 75+!! Also, I've never seen a principal so involved or caring towards the kids. She also is very supportive of the staff. No, this school does not have lots of special education services, but if you are involved in your child's education and want a well-rounded learning experience in classes at or below 18 students (or 22 in 4th and 5th), then try to get on the waiting list!

Posted July 29, 2013

ADV is a special gem of a school! My son is beginning his fifth year at the school and has flourished both academically and socially. It isn't the environment for every student or parent, but it is a grass roots kind of school with an amazing principal involved with every aspect...from heating students' lunches to spending time with a student when they are struggling to janitorial and maintenance duties! Each teacher has their own amazing strategies for promoting learning through unconventional methods, way beyond simple book and paper work! Check out the school to see if its a good fit rather than relying on some of these reviews ;-)

Posted July 28, 2013

I thought switching to a new school that is not a zoned school would be a better choice for my children. I was VERY wrong! This school lacks so much. There is very little technology in this school. We are in a day and age where technology is the way of the world and this school is lacking. The school is very disorganized, they seem to have a hard time with the amount of students at this school or it could be they do not have enough staff to handle the school.The bathroom and lunchroom seems to always be filthy.The teachers are not very experienced and lack control of their classrooms. Yes, they made changes and moved some teachers around, but at last years kids expense? I find it frightening as well with the lack of security at this school. Please when you tour this school make sure they show you the other building with classrooms in it. Please be aware that it is the same building where Baycare labs is and they do blood work including drug tests at this facility. I believe we are now more aware of the harm that can come to our children in wake of school shootings. Safety should be a priority. I am now looking at other charter schools that offer so much more for our children.

Posted April 6, 2013

ADV is a special school where our son has thrived. The principal, teachers and PTA are all supportive and involved. We were thrilled to get into the school in kindergarten and for our child to have dance, music and art integrated into the day to day. We have appreciated the way the staff and administration treat a child as an individual. We also LOVE the clubs offered, including drama club. Our son has also enjoyed a lego/robotic club, spanish club and others offered throughgout the past several years. All are wonderful opportunities to provide other ways and avenues of learning. Academically he also enjoys the gifted program and most importantly he loves going to school each and every day.

Posted January 3, 2013

This school was a BIG disappointment. I am an educator and thought putting my children here would be a nice move...smaller environment, individual attention etc.... BIG MISTAKE! Yes, the kids that go there are happy and can dance and draw etc. great artists..... but they lack academically compared to where they should be... THe "testing and grading" is a joke! HOME SCHOOL in Florida if you can and if you cannot, check out private schools where at least they will prove their worth since you pay them privately or look at HOME SCHOOL.

Posted September 11, 2012

Academie Da Vinci is not only an Excellent School, but a big part of our extended family. Choosing the right school for our daughter was a parent responsibility we took very seriously. We researched and toured multiple elementary schools in both Hillsborough and Pinellas counties before we made our decision. Due to our work schedules, our daughter spends more awake hours on a typical school day with the teachers, staff and parent volunteers than she does with us. We chose well. ADV is not only an excellent learning environment for our daughter, but also an extended family. We are so pleased with our decision to enroll her into ADV five years ago when she started kindergarten. ADV truly lives up to it's slogan "A Small School, With a Big Heart". Our daughter loves school and is always learning. Even though she must take the FCAT and other standardized tests as any student in public school, the emphasis is not on these tests, but on the learning that takes place and developing a balance between academics and the arts. We are truly impressed with the level of dedication, commitment to excellence in education and the arts that is exhibited by all stakeholders in our school.

Posted September 11, 2012

This is a fantastic school and as another long time parent I am honored for my children to attend ADV. The teachers and staff members have my child's best interest as their top priority .They have created a nurturing enviroment that they are thriving in! This summer we moved into a beautiful new location. A SAFE A rated building and we could not be happier! The sense of family and community within the school is amazing! We are a proud ADV family!

Posted September 11, 2012

We are new to ADV this year, and are just thrilled! Things were a little hectic the first couple of weeks due to moving to a new facility, but everything is smoothing out and is fabulous. The PTA is super-involved which gives me lots of opportunities to be a part of my daughter's education and feel like I'm making a positive contribution to the community and the family that is at the heart of ADV. When your child can't wait to go to school each day, and can't wait to tell you all about art, music, dance or any of the other things that makes ADV so unique and arts focused, you know you've found the right place. Compared to the "regular" school she was in last year, ADV is heaven - miles above their closest neighbor.

Posted September 9, 2012

I am very disappointed with this school! They have no playground for the children, no science or computer lab,no foreign language and the academics seem to be lacking. The school is very disorganize and to top it off. They share a building with bay care labs a blood draw place. The door that separates the school from the lab has been unlocked due to lack of the right doors. The children have p.e. in the parking lot and recess in the ditch next to a retention pond. To top it off the class sizes are 20 kids and above. Most schools only have 18 students per class. Please if you are looking into this school ask questions and volunteer a lot!! You have other options that are much better. Don't let the staff fool you and say we are working on it. That is not good enough.

Posted August 25, 2012

My twin daughters are starting fourth grade this year and we were pleasantly surprised when they had already made the wait list for this year and then found out the school was moving to a newer, bigger and of course, better facility! I had the pleasure of helping out this summer with packing up the old school and moving into the new school. It gave me the opportunity to get to know Dr Ray, the principal, most of the staff and many of the parents. I haven't met a more dedicated principal than Dr. Ray! (and I am a teacher and have taught in Philadelphia, Tampa and in Pinellas County) She has made this move happen with the rest of the amazing and caring teachers and of course the awesome PTA and other parents. I felt like I was actually stepping into a family--not just a school. School has started and the dedication and determination to get this school completely open and operating (and doubling in size of staff and students) has just amazed me! If you are looking for a school that nurtures and allows your child to be a child; embraces their creativity and imagination while growing their brain, you could not find a better school!! Kudos to ADV!!!

Posted August 23, 2012

Best Elementary school in the county! The teachers and staff are kind and loving to the children. The academics are also excellent! I can only recommend this school.

Posted July 23, 2012

Academie da Vinci Charter School, has a new home starting in August -- The Olympia Center, 1060 Keene Road in Dunedin!!!! The building is beautiful. We still have several openings in 2nd, 4th, and 5th grades. Check it out and tell your friends!! http://www.academiedavinci.org/
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 19, 2012

Excellent school, great teachers! After three years at ADV and three teachers I can just second the opinions already expressed here: This school is happy to have a great principal (now with a Ph.D., loved as well as respected by the kids with great and ambitious ideas, but both feet on the ground) as well as excellent teachers. I just wish the school would go beyond elementary level.

Posted April 3, 2012

The principal is dedicated to her job and creates a very positive learning environment for the kids. The ADV community is supportive and most parents share the same ideals when it comes to prioritizing their children's education.

Posted March 21, 2012

ADV is an awesome school. We love the small environment with caring teachers and an awesome principal. All the teachers and kids know each other by name. My daughter loves going to school!!!!

Posted March 11, 2012

Our son attends ADV and this is the BEST school ever. It is such a nurturing, loving, creative environment. The teachers are top notch, the principal knows every child by name and they all truly care. I feel excited to drop him off at school everyday! And my goodness, the manners these kids have here (not only with adults but with each other)----it's amazing. As the post before me, I agree......the 5th graders are so kind to the newbees and set such a great example for them on a daily basis.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

37 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

37 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

45 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

45 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

39 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

22 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Ethnicity This school

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Mayor'sTop Apple (2012)
  • State DOE A School (2012)
  • State DOE A School (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Rotary Club Read to Feed (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Clubs
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

Health & athletics

• Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • MRS. SUSAN RAY
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (727) 298-2780

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Audiovisual aids
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

2 out of 10students were accepted for the 2011-2012 school year.

Students accepted for the 2011-2012 school year
Applications received for the 2011-2012 school year
150

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Palm Harbor Middle