No rating

Shepherd Of The Coast

Private | PK-8 | 189 students

We are best known for our Brand New Facilities!

Living in Fort Lauderdale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $235,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,190.

Posted September 4, 2014

Awesome Pre-School but Elementary and Middle School lack merit. Our children enjoyed their Preschool years at Shepherd of the Coast. Unfortunately, their Elementary and Middle school years were not so good. The academic piece was below average. Grades were A's & B's on report card, but actual application of basics was not achieved. After they spent hours with private tutoring, and summer classes....they were able to meet the needed requirements for their appropriate grade level. Lower tuition? Not really true when you consider the money you will spend for remedial classes and tutoring. We wish we had considered other options for our children's Elementary and Middle school academic years.

Posted September 2, 2014

My children attended SOC and now are in a prestigious high school... They had an awesome education and the teachers are very qualifified, I just can't understand why anyone would think differently. This little school that is now completely remodeled is one of the best kept secrets in ft laud. Still has under 15 students per classroom. And the safest environment also.

Posted August 20, 2014

My daughter attended school here from preschool up and we couldn't be happier with the education she received. She is now attending a great high school with all honors courses. There was a transition phase with administration but they've kept the family atmosphere here. We got the chance to interact with the principal everyday at drop off and pick up and he is very involved with the students. We couldn't have asked for a better Christian environment for our daughter.

Posted August 20, 2014

SOC was a blessing to our family. Our daughter is very shy and intelligent. Because of the small size classes our daughter grew in her confidence and soared in all aspects of her schooling. She was able to participate in sports and join in groups and school activities. She is now attending one of the top Christian H.S. and we are very pleased with her academic outcome. We miss SOC everyday, it has become our second family. I highly recommend SOC to anyone looking for a great education as well as social growth. If you are looking for a very big school with extremely competitive sports this may not be the school for you. SOC is competitive in their own right and allows all children to have the opportunity to compete both academically as well as in sports. We cannot say enough about SOC the teachers are available at any time. It is truly a loving beautiful school.

Posted June 25, 2014

The school is beautiful, but it's standards are very low. The children are combined in classes, but they share a curriculum, for instance a 6th grader may be using 5th grade books one year because they alternate text books each year. The teachers are not qualified, 1 teacher's previous experience was just homeschooling her children. Some teachers didn't even have their teaching certificates. I'm surprised this school is still open, and it's a shame that the administration doesn't try to improve the school since it has been renovated recently. My child was only there one year, and only learned how to spell, and Bible stories.

Posted May 19, 2014

Horrible! My child learned hardly anything at this school. The administration doesn't care to hear about any concerns you may have as a parent and the curriculum is not teaching the children. The tuition is low compared to other private schools...but I guess you get what you pay for because the children are not learning at grade level and the administration just doesn't want to be bothered if you express concerns about your child academically.

Posted January 4, 2014

Without a doubt, Shepherd of the Coast is a great secret within Ft Lauderdale. The early childhood education center is phenomenal. The teachers are wonderful, loving and the focus is on education. The children learn so much more than abc's and 123s, rather they focus on the whole child. My daughter now attends kindergarten with Mrs Gorwood and I could not be more happy. The class is very small which means a great deal of one on one time. Spanish, music, library, PE, computer class, etc keeps my girl busy and challenged throughout the day. She wakes up excited about school. She tells me everyday how much she loves her teachers. She has made amazing progress thus far in her first year. She even comes home so excited to sing new songs to me in English, Spanish and in sign language. Not only are the teachers dedicated, the new principle is wonderful. Firm yet very loving. He cares so much for the school that I see him working outside helping with the development projects. The school is small enough so that even the 8th graders and other teachers know my daughter personally. The school is truly a community focused on the development of our children.

Posted May 27, 2013

Shepherd of the Coast is a wonderful place! My two sons attend school here (1st grade and pre-K3) and I have never been happier with what they are learning and the care they are getting. I have never heard a complaint from either one and I know they both love the school and teachers. The teachers and staff are fantastic; they listen to concerns and ideas, are extremely helpful in any way, and most importantly to me, are just so caring with my sons. The curriculum is very well put together and I am looking forward to the new blended learning system with chrome books. I have been so impressed with this school that we (my family) became church members here and have tried to be involved as much as we can with school events. I can't express how happy I am everyday knowing that my boys are here at this school. It is peace of mind and so much more!

Posted January 15, 2013

I once heard Shepherd of the Coast referred to as a hidden gem and I honestly don't believe that there is a better description for the school or it's staff. I have two children who attend Shepherd of the Coast (one in the pre-school and one in grade school) and I am amazed everyday at the new and exciting things that they are learning. More important than just the structured curriculum is the feeling of being with your family while you are there. It is a small school with small class sizes but it is full of big hearts and knowledgeable staff who put their heart and soul into their children. If you are looking for a school with a strong curriculum, positive environment, and will properly prepare your child for a higher education then Shepherd of the Coast is your place. I would never give up this wonderful school; do yourself a favor and check it out for yourself!

Posted December 9, 2012

We love this school. I have two children there and they are very happy. They get the attention that they need with the small class sizes. They get extra curricular activities that they would not get at other schools. It is also not over priced like some private schools. We have a new gymnasium and the school has been totally remodeled.

Posted November 28, 2012

I am very happy with the school. It provides the small and loving environment that I am looking for.

Posted August 29, 2012

My son just started pre-k there last week, and what can I say: I am impressed!! My son had never been to pre-school or daycare, and the staff there has been extremely helpful and knowledgeable in helping him through this transitional phase. In just a week - he is talking more, and asking more questions at home, and the please and thank you index is way up. The classroom is just the right size with a great student to teacher ratio. I know it has only been a week, so I will update this review every two months. I am known for doing my due diligence before involving my son in any program I have a degree in developmental/clinical psychology, and also went to seminary and am an ordained minister; so I know the questions to ask, and the resources to access. At this time I am giving them a 5 star top rating.

Posted July 14, 2012

Was truly underimpressed with our first and last year here. Administration seems disengaged, unknowledgeable, ill-prepared when it comes to problematic and unruly children in todays challenging environment. We had unfulfilled expectations while here and decided to transfer to another school. Classrooms are very small and cramped. curriculum and grading confusing, and the staff ill equipped to handle so many unruly and difficult children. Parents are not very involved here and administration very uncooperative in listening to parents with concerns. At the end of the day its a business here, leave your children and checkbook at the door. Do research before making a decision. A lot of turnover here and we didn't know until it was too late of the problems. We had a very negative experience.

Posted April 1, 2012

I got my daughter6 1 year there now. And i am glad to say i am a part of this family! Everybody is really nice. And i cant waot to have her there 1. Grade

Posted February 24, 2012

went down hill a lot,, not happy, this is a safe school & that's it, 3 & 4th grade teacher needs to go back to school and get a real teachers degree not a sunday school degree, a real let down , will be looking for different school,

Posted March 25, 2010

My children have attended Shepherd since Pre-K and I have nothing but good things to say about the teachers, curriculum and religious education they provide. Small classes and a nurturing staff my children are thriving and have an wonderful future ahead of them. Thanks to the SOC staff of a great job.

Posted March 23, 2010

My daughter has attended Sheperd of the Coast since she was 2 years old. She will be entering Kindergarten next year and we plan to keep her in the school through the 8th grade (I wish they went through the 12th.) She, as a student, and we, as parents, feel very comfortable and part of the family of Sheperd of the Coast. The staff are all very caring and personable and I have never had to worry one second about my daughter when she is there. She is my 5th child and I have never before been so comfortable and satisfied with a school. Great place!

Posted March 21, 2010

As a grandparent I can only thank God that my two grandchildren have been fortunate enough to be able to attend Shepherd of the Coast School, which provides the highest level of quality education along with a nurturing environment for its students. Now that the campus modernization and building plans are fully underway, we can anticipate considerable growth in student numbers. This is a gem. It is not to be overlooked by any parents searching for educational excellence. It is a gem, with what must be one of the lowest tuitions in South Florida.

Posted March 18, 2010

we have sent our two kids there from Kindergarten to 8th Grade - we loved it - it is very family orientated-small classes! Both of our children are now honor students in high school !

Posted March 16, 2010

After elementry school, I found myself searching for a private middle school. My final decision was to take my daughter to Shepherd of the Coast. After attending 3 years there, I have to say I am very happy that my daughter went there. The school is very small which I loved. Everyday, when you pick up your child, all the teachers and the principle are there and you can talk to them, see how your child is doing etc... I actually don't understand why not more parents are sending their kids there. The tuition is the cheapest in broward county for a private school, the number of kids per class is about 8 and if you are worried about the religion, they are pretty lenient. I highly recommend Sheperd of the Coast.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Presidential Volunteer Service Award (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab

Arts & music

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Music
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Larry Ueltzen
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (954) 772-2232

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Blended Laerning
  • Direct instruction
  • Hybrid
  • Project-based
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Music
  • Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • All Star Knights

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)