590 students|St. Johns

Bad
Good

My child will return to HCE this upcoming school year as a 1st grader. I have been nothing short of thrilled with this school since his 1st day of Kindergarten. Parents are very involved here, even the working parents like me. The teachers and staff are absolutely amazing!

Two of my children have attended HCE from the first year until now. The facilities, principle, and support staff are excellent. However, this will be the last year of attendance for child #2. The communications with teachers has declined over the past 8 years as more standardization of curriculum has occurred. Emails go unanswered, notes written the teacher never have a response, and not all homework is returned. We generally find out there is an academic issue when grades are posted online 3-4 weeks later. Parent-teacher conferences have proved unfruitful in addressing difficulties. In fairness, we have several friends whose kids do excel here, as did child #1. If you have a gifted or a special needs child, they will excel here as they get extra work and attention. If you have a child who is middle of the road C student, they will not get extra attention. In fact, we were told that for our child to have in-class help with common core concepts, he would have to have a low D average. We can longer keep hoping or waiting for things will get better. Home school here we come!

All three of my children have attended HCE. The staff and the school are amazing. As a military family we have moved all over the world literally, and have experienced various educational systems. I would say that HCE is the top. My children have been well prepared. The principal hand picked all his teachers and it shows...The staff is also amazing!

Hickory Creek Elementary Not so great since the New Assistant Principal arrived. She does not believe in returning parents phone calls.

HCE sits in a beautiful area still lots of trees and nature.The school itself is really nice, as in the layout and its kept very clean, inside and out. Now after all that being said Dont let your first visit discourage you. Beware! The front desk people act like they hate their job and dont want to be bothered with anyone or anything. When you call the school the lady that answers the phone is about as lively as eyore from winnie the poor " Like O Bother" and thats not where it ends, there is also 2 of the parent pick up ladies that are plum rude, Like maybe this isn't the job for you anymore, rude. The schools communications between teachers and parents arent working so well. you will get a lot of unswered emails and the teachers website are a joke as well they are never ever updated or our teachers wasnt. With all that being said, let me say this, the principal, the asst. principal and the principal's sec. are Great! The nurse is Great and the Teachers are some of the Best life has to offer. I am glad my child goes there..

We moved from a neighboring school district and are very pleased with Hickory Creek Elementary. The class size is optimal, the teachers are communicative and helped the class to welcome my children as new students. My kids report regular PE classes and the music teacher teaches the students to read music and play the recorder in the upper elementary grades. There are after school activities such as chorus, dance, drama, band, and Spanish and Art Clubs. I had previously considered private school or home schooling, but the educational opportunities in this school will keep us in public school here.

HCE has been disappointing the last couple of years despite its outstanding performance on the FCAT. Communicating with parents is clearly not a priority for the administration or the teachers. The warmth communicated by the school motto - first we love them, then we teach them - seems to have faded away. If your child is not a high achiever, you might want to consider other elementary districts in St. Johns county.

We came to HCE from another school in St. John's. The motto is 'First we love them, then we teach them'. A wonderful motto. For the this past year, new teachers have arrived. Unfortunately, they don't appear to abide by this simple creed. The school appears to have changed somehow - perhaps as a result of the cut backs imposed due to the economic recession. But, overall, insofar as Florida schooling is concerned, HCE continues to be a fine school.

HCE is a outstanding school and learning environment. Many teachers had come from JCE and it's easy to see why with a warm and enviting atmosphere. My child has excelled in the math area and I owe it to his dedicated teacher. As we leave HCE and venture off into middle school, my only hope and desire would be for my child to continure to shine. Thanks HCE and The Yellow House Team!

Hickory Creek Elementary is a wonderful school for my children. The entire staff & faculty provide a very caring learning environment. The visual art, music & PE programs are exemplary! This is a great small school!

Last modified Hickory Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.