No rating

Kids Community College-Orange Charter School

Charter | K-4 | 140 students

KCC Orange is best known for Multiple Intelligence Instruction-HOW you're Smart

Posted October 22, 2014

This is a great school! If you are over traditional public schools like I was and my son struggled with, I recommend Kids Community College! It's worth it! Much better curriculum. If you are looking for a change for you child, look no further, come for a tour and meet the staff.

Posted October 22, 2014

An example of why I recommend KCC - Ms. Niedoborski and Mrs. Delgado make learning fun for our children. The past few weeks the children have been learning about the perimeter of objects and our teachers took a different path to teach this skill to our children. Math can be hard and boring but going outside, using their gross motor skills and working with their friends really keeps learning fun for all! My son is an out of the box thinker and he really struggled in a standard public school. At KCC he is being challenged (at a grade level above) but not overwhelmed. He is excited to be an active learner. I could not say enough about how these teachers have helped my son. My son is on a path to success because or KCC!

Posted October 21, 2014

I am a second year parent and I love the school whole heartedly. I love and respect an organization that is committed to excellence, and stands by its principlesand values. While we have had many changes in Directors/principals since my son began Kindergarten last year, it has not impacted the childrens sense of belonging, acceptance and security. This is evident in the academic performance of the students and the joy you feel radiating from each child.

Posted October 21, 2014

Unbelievable that they have now let go a principle who had turned around all the negativity within the school. I am now worried again about the leadership of this school and wonder why we go through so many directors.

Posted October 21, 2014

I agree with the last remark. The last Director had a great open door policy and really cared about every child. She was so positive. What's up with a leadership that has now gone through 5 directors? I am rethinking their whole philosophy. One that is posted but obviously not followed

Posted October 21, 2014

My son struggled at his previous school, and came home crying on a regular basis. He is in second grade and for the first time, he loves going to school. In addition, he is learning and able to discuss and explain what he learned in school each day. If you are invested in your child's education this is the perfect school.

Posted October 10, 2014

I am very excited about KCC's relocation from Gotha to a new and larger campus in Ocoee (Silver Star/Clarke Rd-Lake Olympia area). The new building and campus will allow KCC to have greater flexibility, improve accessibility, newer design technology, and facility durability. The new facility will allow KCC kids and staff to be more comfortable, feel safe, secure, and healthful at the KCC Ocoee school campus. I believe in KCC's educational excellence and our family looks forward to remaining an active part of the KCC school community into the future.

Posted October 10, 2014

I transferred my children from Westbrooke Elementary in Ocoee to Kids' Community College Charter in August 2014. KCC has created an environment which allowed my child to immediately begin receiving individualized educational attention which he was not offered while attending public school. I do feel that KCC has created an environment that is most advantageous for my children's well being. KCC staff are very well organized, extremely professional, and most importantly to me, they are caring and approachable. KCC has demonstrated they put student needs first. I feel confident in our move to KCC. KCC staff and teachers are well educated, have the knowledge, and experience to help my children excel in their educational pursuits. Parental involvement in education and activities are very important to me. We share same values as other KCC families.

Posted October 7, 2014

We are new to the area and were glad when we were able to get a spot at KCC Orange for our 2nd grader. He was coming from a gifted program at his previous Theme School and it was important for us to keep him in a similar environment, So far, the teachers have been been good and the administration is prompt to reply if we should initiate contact. The kids enjoy school and they are also challenged. Smaller class sizes, a quiet campus and overall caring staff make this a good choice for a public charter school.

Posted July 17, 2014

The truest portrait of a school's climate, care, and concern for well-being and safety should embody several factors: robust and comprehensive teacher support , active family engagement, supportive environmental conditions, strong social and emotional student growth and an organizational wide climate of high expectations. I founded KCC and am now a member of the executive team. I know 1st hand that ALL of or associates, not just any single group of them, are dedicated to these principles and others that make the foundation of an excellent school. While opinions may vary, results don't lie. Our 3rd grade students ranked 3rd of ALL District elementary school (93% reading/71% in math proficiency). Our 1st & 2nd graders SAT10 performance were in the top quartile of the nation. 96% satisfaction rating and were a top workplace again. Most importantly, our focus remains on the well-being and care of students and ensuring that everyone in our employ are dedicated to the values that will help students be their individual best and help us improve every year. We will remain courageous enough to make tough decisions stay committed to continuous improvement. We are blessed to serve.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 10, 2014

Forget all these other reviews about principal turnover. Bottom line is that the teachers are excellent. They genuinely care for each student and this school strives and exceeds all expectations for the students to excel. This past year I had one child in kindergarten and one in second grade. The kindergarten teachers are excellent and my daughter's had her in an advanced group learning math skills I wouldn't have dreamed she would be doing in kindergarten. As well as my son's second grade teacher. She was caring and communicated weekly about what they were learning. While this is a newer school and they are still trying to get their bearings in some things, the foundation set by the teachers and the academics is excellent!!!

Posted March 23, 2014

We were at KCC last year and had a great year. My child's teacher was wonderful, we loved the director, and things ran smoothly. We returned this year with high expectations, and were unfortunately disappointed from the very beginning of the year. The school seemed very disorganized pretty much from day 1, from some safety issues, to a lack of communication from teachers, to the rapid turnover of Directors (there now hasn't been a director for months - I guess they will not hire one before the end of the year). The quality of my child's teacher this year is drastically different than last year. Perhaps it is a lack of experience, I'm not sure. I completely agree with what some of the other parents below have said about the administration this year not wanting to hear opinions from parents if they disagree with anything at all! I'm not sure why things have changed so much for the worse this year, but it greatly saddens me to see a school that had such promise last year really go off track this year. We will not be returning next year.

Posted February 24, 2014

Kid's Community College has been the best place to continue the education of my daughter. As parents, we believe that education starts at home, but having an amazing place to enrich that extra knowledge that every child must have has been a blessing for our family. KCC is the perfect fit for our family, because not just our daughter is enriching her academic life, as family we are also enjoying this experience been part of every aspect of her education. More than a school this is a big family and I'm more than glad to be part of it as parent and as an employee.

Posted February 24, 2014

Kids Community College - Orange Campus is a great school because it has a great academic program that is always striving to be the best for our students. All the teachers and faculty truly care about the success of every student and family. The parent involvement is always extraordinary and is encouraged by staff on a daily basis. I have done a lot of research on public, charter, and private schools and I truly believe that this is the best school for any child to grow and succeed!

Posted February 22, 2014

KCC is developing into a great experience for me and my family. This is my first year there and in the beginning we were very excited about the possibility of finding a Charter School that had a Private School feel. My children have only attended Private Schools until this year. We had a very rocky start but I feel in the past 2 months we have seen a huge push in the right direction. We currently do not have a director at the school but the administration staff, the board of directors and the Tampa employees have all made it their priority to help us rebuild and become successful. I am very happy with where the school is today and excited that next year we will be in a even better position. Not only will we continue to go here next year we will even be sending another one of our children as well.

Posted February 20, 2014

I am beyond thrilled at how well the school focuses on academic excellence for all of the students. The teachers truly care about their students and I love that even teachers who don't have my kids in their class know them personally. The community atmosphere and an overall commitment for integrity and high achievement surpass any school we've yet to encounter. The school is implementing more specials programs as the year has progressed and I like that even the after care program has a curriculum. I would like to see more PE activities, but know that is in progress. I feel my kids are safe and that the entire teaching staff and administration is looking out for the students. My kids come home happy. I have seen a vast improvement in my 2nd grader's academics -- it's as if going to KCC energized her and woke her up from the stupor that occurred from boredom at her previous school. Parents who are involved in the school really seem to care about their kid's education and the well-being of every child. There are mandatory volunteer hours, yet every parent still has to meet safety standards/protocol in order to do that. Math is taught a grade level above grade standards.

Posted February 19, 2014

I have to agree with the post below word for word its like I wrote it. I was so upset at the Town Hall meeting with the way they spoke to us. They do not want the parents to get involved usless they want money. 2/9/2014 While I would like to agree with the comments posted already, mine are completely opposite. Since my child has started with KCC in 2012 the principal's office has been a revolving door. KCC is now searching for its 4th principal in 2 yrs. And if you bring up any issues or concerns with the administrative staff you are always led to believe everything is your fault, or that you are a burden for even coming to them with a question or issue. Parents have no voice whatsoever. You are told at Town Hall meetings to only ask questions related to agenda items or you will be told "to be on your way" (direct quote). Day to day and weekly communication is spotty at best, our two teachers have rarely sent out an email, maybe twice? When communication does go out, its full of spelling and grammatical errors, and confuses parents- which is embarrassing for an educational institution. Yes this school is a choice, but we will be choosing not to attend next year, as well as s.......

Posted February 9, 2014

While I would like to agree with the comments posted already, mine are completely opposite. Since my child has started with KCC in 2012 the principal's office has been a revolving door. KCC is now searching for its 4th principal in 2 yrs. And if you bring up any issues or concerns with the administrative staff you are always led to believe everything is your fault, or that you are a burden for even coming to them with a question or issue. Parents have no voice whatsoever. You are told at Town Hall meetings to only ask questions related to agenda items or you will be told "to be on your way" (direct quote). Day to day and weekly communication is spotty at best, our two teachers have rarely sent out an email, maybe twice? When communication does go out, its full of spelling and grammatical errors, and confuses parents- which is embarrassing for an educational institution. Yes this school is a choice, but we will be choosing not to attend next year, as well as several other parents who have already pulled their children in complete dissatisfaction. KCC says they're interest is the well being of every child? But have no respect or concern for parent's voices.

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter loves KCC. Being her first ever school experience since Dec. 2012, it is a great fit for her and for me. The individualized curriculum keeps her ahead of her grade level. I enjoy the parent involvement and the fact that we help make the school so great because of our involvement. KCC is a nonprofit charter school that is dependent on family involvement. My daughter loves knowing I am making a difference in her life as I did when she was homeschooled.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

14 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

14 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

This school did not receive a grade in 2011-2012.

Ethnicity This school

Doctorate degree 0%1%1%
Other degree 0%N/A2%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Educational diagnostician
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Some Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Ranked #2 in OCPS Elementary FCAT Reading Score (2014)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • 2014 Best of Gotha (Elementary) (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Tricia Moncur
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • www.mykidscc.org
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (407) 203-3867

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Hybrid
  • Multiple Intelligence Based Instruction
  • STEM
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Educational diagnostician
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
Transportation options
  • Afterschool vans pick up daily
  • Access to sports fields
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts
  • Science club
  • Spanish Club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join CPA
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom