No rating

Kids Community College-Orange Charter School

Charter | K-3 | 124 students

"Being dedicated to the well-being and educational success of EVERY child."

Posted July 17, 2014

The truest portrait of a school's climate, care, and concern for well-being and safety should embody several factors: robust and comprehensive teacher support , active family engagement, supportive environmental conditions, strong social and emotional student growth and an organizational wide climate of high expectations. I founded KCC and am now a member of the executive team. I know 1st hand that ALL of or associates, not just any single group of them, are dedicated to these principles and others that make the foundation of an excellent school. While opinions may vary, results don't lie. Our 3rd grade students ranked 3rd of ALL District elementary school (93% reading/71% in math proficiency). Our 1st & 2nd graders SAT10 performance were in the top quartile of the nation. 96% satisfaction rating and were a top workplace again. Most importantly, our focus remains on the well-being and care of students and ensuring that everyone in our employ are dedicated to the values that will help students be their individual best and help us improve every year. We will remain courageous enough to make tough decisions stay committed to continuous improvement. We are blessed to serve.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 10, 2014

Forget all these other reviews about principal turnover. Bottom line is that the teachers are excellent. They genuinely care for each student and this school strives and exceeds all expectations for the students to excel. This past year I had one child in kindergarten and one in second grade. The kindergarten teachers are excellent and my daughter's had her in an advanced group learning math skills I wouldn't have dreamed she would be doing in kindergarten. As well as my son's second grade teacher. She was caring and communicated weekly about what they were learning. While this is a newer school and they are still trying to get their bearings in some things, the foundation set by the teachers and the academics is excellent!!!

Posted March 23, 2014

We were at KCC last year and had a great year. My child's teacher was wonderful, we loved the director, and things ran smoothly. We returned this year with high expectations, and were unfortunately disappointed from the very beginning of the year. The school seemed very disorganized pretty much from day 1, from some safety issues, to a lack of communication from teachers, to the rapid turnover of Directors (there now hasn't been a director for months - I guess they will not hire one before the end of the year). The quality of my child's teacher this year is drastically different than last year. Perhaps it is a lack of experience, I'm not sure. I completely agree with what some of the other parents below have said about the administration this year not wanting to hear opinions from parents if they disagree with anything at all! I'm not sure why things have changed so much for the worse this year, but it greatly saddens me to see a school that had such promise last year really go off track this year. We will not be returning next year.

Posted February 24, 2014

Kid's Community College has been the best place to continue the education of my daughter. As parents, we believe that education starts at home, but having an amazing place to enrich that extra knowledge that every child must have has been a blessing for our family. KCC is the perfect fit for our family, because not just our daughter is enriching her academic life, as family we are also enjoying this experience been part of every aspect of her education. More than a school this is a big family and I'm more than glad to be part of it as parent and as an employee.

Posted February 24, 2014

Kids Community College - Orange Campus is a great school because it has a great academic program that is always striving to be the best for our students. All the teachers and faculty truly care about the success of every student and family. The parent involvement is always extraordinary and is encouraged by staff on a daily basis. I have done a lot of research on public, charter, and private schools and I truly believe that this is the best school for any child to grow and succeed!

Posted February 22, 2014

KCC is developing into a great experience for me and my family. This is my first year there and in the beginning we were very excited about the possibility of finding a Charter School that had a Private School feel. My children have only attended Private Schools until this year. We had a very rocky start but I feel in the past 2 months we have seen a huge push in the right direction. We currently do not have a director at the school but the administration staff, the board of directors and the Tampa employees have all made it their priority to help us rebuild and become successful. I am very happy with where the school is today and excited that next year we will be in a even better position. Not only will we continue to go here next year we will even be sending another one of our children as well.

Posted February 20, 2014

I am beyond thrilled at how well the school focuses on academic excellence for all of the students. The teachers truly care about their students and I love that even teachers who don't have my kids in their class know them personally. The community atmosphere and an overall commitment for integrity and high achievement surpass any school we've yet to encounter. The school is implementing more specials programs as the year has progressed and I like that even the after care program has a curriculum. I would like to see more PE activities, but know that is in progress. I feel my kids are safe and that the entire teaching staff and administration is looking out for the students. My kids come home happy. I have seen a vast improvement in my 2nd grader's academics -- it's as if going to KCC energized her and woke her up from the stupor that occurred from boredom at her previous school. Parents who are involved in the school really seem to care about their kid's education and the well-being of every child. There are mandatory volunteer hours, yet every parent still has to meet safety standards/protocol in order to do that. Math is taught a grade level above grade standards.

Posted February 19, 2014

I have to agree with the post below word for word its like I wrote it. I was so upset at the Town Hall meeting with the way they spoke to us. They do not want the parents to get involved usless they want money. 2/9/2014 While I would like to agree with the comments posted already, mine are completely opposite. Since my child has started with KCC in 2012 the principal's office has been a revolving door. KCC is now searching for its 4th principal in 2 yrs. And if you bring up any issues or concerns with the administrative staff you are always led to believe everything is your fault, or that you are a burden for even coming to them with a question or issue. Parents have no voice whatsoever. You are told at Town Hall meetings to only ask questions related to agenda items or you will be told "to be on your way" (direct quote). Day to day and weekly communication is spotty at best, our two teachers have rarely sent out an email, maybe twice? When communication does go out, its full of spelling and grammatical errors, and confuses parents- which is embarrassing for an educational institution. Yes this school is a choice, but we will be choosing not to attend next year, as well as s.......

Posted February 9, 2014

While I would like to agree with the comments posted already, mine are completely opposite. Since my child has started with KCC in 2012 the principal's office has been a revolving door. KCC is now searching for its 4th principal in 2 yrs. And if you bring up any issues or concerns with the administrative staff you are always led to believe everything is your fault, or that you are a burden for even coming to them with a question or issue. Parents have no voice whatsoever. You are told at Town Hall meetings to only ask questions related to agenda items or you will be told "to be on your way" (direct quote). Day to day and weekly communication is spotty at best, our two teachers have rarely sent out an email, maybe twice? When communication does go out, its full of spelling and grammatical errors, and confuses parents- which is embarrassing for an educational institution. Yes this school is a choice, but we will be choosing not to attend next year, as well as several other parents who have already pulled their children in complete dissatisfaction. KCC says they're interest is the well being of every child? But have no respect or concern for parent's voices.

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter loves KCC. Being her first ever school experience since Dec. 2012, it is a great fit for her and for me. The individualized curriculum keeps her ahead of her grade level. I enjoy the parent involvement and the fact that we help make the school so great because of our involvement. KCC is a nonprofit charter school that is dependent on family involvement. My daughter loves knowing I am making a difference in her life as I did when she was homeschooled.

Posted September 8, 2013

We started at this school last January and absolutely love it. The teachers and staff are so invested in the children's learning it is wonderful. The staff is always friendly and welcoming and makes me as a parent feel safe in leaving my child in their care. Everyday when I pick my daughter up she is smiling and eager to tell me all about what she learned and did during the day. I cannot say enough good things about Kids Community College Charter School. I would highly recommend it to anyone that is looking for a better approach to learning for their child. So lucky to have found you.

Posted June 11, 2013

Kcc is an excellant school. My children love going to this school. The education that they have been taught is exceptional. I highly reccommend this school.

Posted June 11, 2013

I love this school. The classroom sizes are small and the teachers are very engaged with each student. My kids are getting a very good education and school experience.

Posted June 7, 2013

Charter schools are about school choice. We moved to the Orlando area last year and our son has only attended charter schools his entire life. Compared to others I've had, the previous administrator was just ok in my opinion. I never felt as if she was fully vested in my child's success or well-being since many times she made commitments that were not kept and always seemed to blame others for areas we were dissatisfied with. My son did well this year, but I know he can do better. We believe in this school and its mission and hopefully the new admin can fully deliver on it. We are returning next year and plan to be here a long time. Charter schools are about working together, not about some of the clicky gossipy nonsense that happens with a few at this school - most of whom loved the previous administrator because she allowed them to get far to involved in my opinion. I'm glad that's just a few people though. My experience is that if you're not happy with the school or how it's run, you can work to change it or leave. Don't get in the way and keep it about the children.

Posted June 6, 2013

My child also attended KCC this year and I was also upset with the way that the board of directors handled certain decisions regarding dismissing some admistrative staff. This happened very close to the end of the year, and before all of that happened, I had been very happy with the way the director (who is no longer there now) ran the school. She was wonderful. I was also very happy with my child's teacher, who was also amazing. Some of the teachers are leaving this year (and I can't blame them, it must not seem like the best environment to work in)And the board of directors will be announcing the new director for next year in the next few days. And yes, we will be returning next year - BUT with our guards up, and we have every right to do that.

Posted May 24, 2013

I'm an extremely involved CPA parent at KCC and am surprised by the inaccurate information below. When I heard the announcements I decided to go admin rather than speculate. Execs from the Board have been readily available and were happy to meet with me and others regarding the resignations, transition plan, future and concerns we had with the previous director. They explained everything, met with us for as long as needed and addressed our concerns. We are more than satisfied with what was done and how it was handled. These were not a "main branch" decisions. Our local board of directors, which is governed by parents and reps from our school and 1 member from Hillsborough, made the decisions and I agree with them COMPLETELY. I support this change and encourage others to seek facts and post inaccurate info. KCC is a great school and will get better with the RIGHT leadership. I'm excited about next year! It's about choice! Anyone who isn't going to be part of improving should go elsewhere not stick around with their guards up. Leave and give your spot to parents who want a high quality education for their child. There's a long waiting list for this awesome school!

Posted January 25, 2013

I'm so happy that I decided to send my daughter to KCC. The school feels like a small community. Her class size is small and her teacher tailors her work to her academic level. Her teacher is amazing, as are all of the staff. I'm so pleased and comfortable with everyone. I've never been so excited about her schooling. It's wonderful to have such a great option available when you can't afford private school. I feel as if she's getting the best possible education here.

Posted January 24, 2013

We are so pleased with KCC. For us the concern for our kindergardener was individualized curriculum. With all of the testing that KCC does on and for the children, the parents and the teachers both know where the kids are and can cater to the individual needs of each child with challenging academics. The teachers instruct with loving, firm hands. There are extra curricular options for the children including foreign lang, dance and girl scouts. Her teacher communicates with us daily. The principal qenuinely cares about the wellbeing of the students and their families.

Posted January 23, 2013

I have been greatly impressed with the quality of teaching and care for the students, parents and faculty at KCC Orange County. My daughter attends tone of the KCC campuses in Riverview, FL and she is reading and performing math one and sometimes 2 grade l levels higher. She loves going to school. KCC had everything to do with her terrific start so when I learned that KCC was expanding to Orange County, I was excited and confident that the KCC foundation and reputation for excellence would prevail. Boy was I right! I have witnessed students and parent expressions of delight and satisfaction as they sing the praises of KCC and what it is doing for their child. Thanks for opening KCC up to Orange County!

Posted January 23, 2013

I have never known a school so dedicated to the idea of family. They recognize the strength that comes from unity of parents, teachers, students and staff. The teachers work together at such a high level and are creative about helping students achieve success. Families are included in events to bond as a team and play a significant role in creating positive attitude at the school. It is a unique and impressive culture in which to be a part.
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

14 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

14 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

Source: Florida Department of Education

This school did not receive a grade in 2011-2012.

Source: Florida Department of Education

Other degree 0%N/A2%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Ms. Valarie Thompson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • KCC website www.kidscc.org
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (407) 203-3867

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Some spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Camps
Transportation options
  • Afterschool vans pick up daily
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Performance stage
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join CPA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom