1,467 students|Duval

Bad
Good

I am in 110% agreement with one of the many truthful reviews: I've had lunch with my child in Mandarin Middle School. I couldn't even sit in the lunch room when I saw the caked on food from who knows how many hours or days it's sat not to mention you can't even talk, I said talk to your child, LOUD is an understatement. Walking out in the hallways from lunch and seeing FIRST HAND what's allowed with the "officer " standing around and staff, wow! You MUST experience this yourself. Set a day to have lunch with your child, you will see first hand. The lack of communication with "staff" is frustrating! Still waiting for a positive conversation. A very rude experience I had. It was a one way phone call with a teacher and she had no concerns on my suggestions to help my child achieve. This is only one of my very unprofessional experiences of the staff I've encountered. (Not all) My child's 8th grade math teacher left me very unsettled on the way she talks to her students. This prompt me to reach out to other parents. She teaches advanced classes, I'm just disturbed in how very few care. It took me 31 days to get her into her advanced classes from day one of entering her new school. I'll leave you with a staff member comment after my 4th week of asking why my child is not in her advanced classes here in Duval County. I was told, wait for it! "Just cuz someone come from another country don't mean they get put in advance classes! It don't work like that! " WAIT, WHAT, did I just hear I thought to myself! Just contact you Duval County School Board it was my only option and about to be again. When I have a positive experience with either of my children's school, I will leave one. Full regret leaving Clay County, they care.

Be the change. I am a PTSA volunteer. My daughter has had positive experiences at Mandarin Middle. Moving from Texas, we were hesitant about enrolling our daughter in to Duval schools. As an educator I know many factors play into a school's rating and reputation. Do your own homework and know YOUR child. I believe parents make the difference. I have enjoyed meeting like- minded parents who have seek academic excellence and diversity as part of their child's learning environment.

The July 4th posting "obviously" did not have a positive experience. That's fine. This school can't be that bad considering this year's enrollment (2014-2015) boasts a 400 student body increase (i.e. total 1500) as well as new "additional" teachers; " In Spite Of" the new charter school opening a couple blocks away. "Obviously" this person assumes previous positive postings are by administrators. Don't assume unless you have the "FACTS". Parents "Do" support the positive and post as well as those parents who unfortunately experienced the otherwise. Here's a thought....could you be a disgruntled employee posting as a parent ? Mandarin Middle is an "A" school for several years running.

Last few reviews obviously written by administrators worried about losing more than the usual 100 students per year to charters. A charter is opening a block away next year.

This is top notch education. Cambridge and honors program is a stellar. Staff is on top of their students and safety. Many students here excell in sports and academics. This school is at the top of Duval county public schools. Wide range of diversity which is needed in our society. FCAT is a priority slong with college prep. Proud of this school.

Rasism is defended at this school. Many kids are bullied and gang beatings occur. Very bad school

This school is fantastic! Issues will come up in any school, and I'm sorry for the bad publicity right now. There are two sides to every story. I gave this school 5 stars in everything but parental involvement. Parents don't want to be involved with the school or help out with volunteering, and then they complain about every little incident. For those of us going to the school to help out once in awhile, we can see that the teachers care. They are there because they love teaching, and they care about the students. I realize that the students are not going to like every single teacher, just like in life they are not going to like every single boss or manager that they will have. Some personalities just don't mesh. I would recommend the school to anyone who is considering a charter school. It has not been an "A" for 13 straight years for nothing. Go Mandarin Middle!

Great school! My son had a good first year. Easy transition from elementary. Helpful staff. Super teachers!

In my experience as a 7th and 8th grader at Mandarin Middle, I found it to be a great school. The teachers were very caring about the students and their educations. I am currently attending Mandarin High, and find that I miss many of my middle school teachers. The educational system at the school was great in my opinion, and I actually learned and retained much of what was taught, especially in the English program. My 8th grade English teacher Mrs. Bishop was one of my favorite teachers, someone who really impacted my life by being very understanding and helpful, and was always there for students who needed her academically and emotionally. I was also a member of the swim team for both of my years at the school. I thoroughly enjoyed my practices and meets, and really felt a sense of team unity and bonding. Overall, I found MMS to be a excellent school, and never felt threatened by anyone or anything. The security was not overwhelming and very friendly, but were not afraid to take action if necessary. I enjoyed my time there, and I believe upcoming students of the school will, too.

The staff is only there for the paychecks not the kids. They allow fights and act as if they don't see it. This school is perfect if you don't mind if your kid fails and gets into serious fights.

Last modified Mandarin Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.