James Weldon Johnson College Preparatory Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1080 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 14, 2014

Being a new parent to middle-school and to James Weldon Johnson, I must say that I am not impressed with James Weldon Johnson as I thought I would be. The school encourages parents to be involved, but when you are-you're treated like a "bother" to some of the teachers. The teachers that my child has this year are "average"-with the exception of maybe 1 or 2. I am over being receiving email responses from teachers with rude undertones when I reach out to partner with them to ensure my child's overall educational success. All parents are not involved with their child's education, but it seems like if you are involved at JWJ- most of the teachers use this time to belittle your child and make you feel like your child is the worst child in their grade. I have seen great improvement in my child's academics this year and my child LOVES the school, but as a parent-I am NOT impressed with the "parent/teacher" relationship. Everything is communicated through the child [problems and all] and when you go to reach out to the teacher, the first thing I was told is "I spoke with your child about this and they should have told you"...It is still important for the teacher/parent to connect.

Posted October 28, 2013

I love this school. The teachers are amazing and they try to make school as fun as possible. They have great activities and school projects. I love the Greek day you get to have in 7th grade, it's amazing. The students are also really good and social. I recommend this school to everyone

Posted August 27, 2013

This is a gifted and academically talented magnet that does not have enough books for their students.

Posted August 25, 2013

This is one of the best schools in Florida. Number one in reading and writing in the STATE. The sports teams are undefeated, the work is good and provides a nice challenge. I recommend the school. The teachers and principal are very focused on discipline and respect. My son loves it.

Posted July 25, 2012

My child has attended JWJ for 2 yrs going on third. I think JWJ is an average school. We are not sure that the education is that much greater than he would be getting in Honors or advanced classes at our local middle school. The transportation issue, as well as, the huge about of homework, loss of quality family time and the topics of the summer reading books they require, really makes us question the value of our decision to go here. The teachers are average, meaning some are really great and some are not great at all. The homework load is to heavy and busy work with little purpose for learning. We are still not sure about 2012-13, still looking at other options. Promise of new block schedule system to improve things, not sure if we want to wait around to see!!!

Posted February 10, 2012

JWJ is an incredible school. I drive 45 minutes to get there and it is worth every second. We came in 6th grade from a private school and I can tell you first hand it is 300% better than what we had previously paid $10,000 a year for. The teachers are awesome and the kids are from diverse backgrounds. Everyone is made to feel welcome and part of the JWJ family. Our child absolutely flourished from day one. We will be so sad when we have to leave. Go Trojans!

Posted January 18, 2012

My daughter has been in the JWJ system now for two years, and we are pleased. The new building has made it even better, with more space, and better facilities. Highly Recommended.

Posted December 5, 2010

This school is absolutely amazing! I attended all 3 of my middle school years at jwj and it has really helped me. The teachers are there to help the students and also to challenge them to work harder. The kids won't have to worry about much else besides their work. There are a few problems with the older students bugging the younger ones but it doesn't often interfere with those students' learning experience.

Posted November 7, 2010

James Weldon Johnson has taken a nose dive in 2010. My son, in the gifted program, became bored with the easy and repetitive nature of the work in 6th grade: it was basically a repeat of 5th grade. I am under the understanding that JWJ had to lower their academic standards this year to accommodate a wider range of students. What a shame...JWJ used to be the best school in the area, now it's just another average middle school.

Posted October 28, 2010

My child attended this school and i found it to be an execelent school with the acacemics. and curriculum. I had no problem with the teachers and my child loved it. It was tailored to his needs as well as his level of learning. I would recommend this school for those who are gifted and academically talented. This school has my vote.

Posted September 30, 2010

My child would have definitely liked it better in twin lakes or mamdarin . i recommend not putting your child/children here, its really not worth it.

Posted April 27, 2010

James Weldon Johnson is an okay school!!! The teachers are ok as well. This is my 3rd and last year at james weldon johnson and it will be missed.

Posted March 25, 2010

Perhaps I'm missing something here, I do not see this as an exceptional school. Perhaps it was at one point but now the teachers are just stressed out and angry

Posted February 27, 2010

what are people talking about by saying we have fights and what not ? i have been to this school and it is very excellent : teachers, classes, and students that care about others :D

Posted January 8, 2010

the school is so much better than landon. it is so much fun and everybody is nice and all of the teachers really care. GO TROJANS!!!!

Posted September 4, 2009

I started going to this school and so far it is incredible! The teachers are some of the best and are very nice. They really got me into wanting to learn. The campus is easy to go around but I do find annoying that older students will bug the younger ones, but that's not the school. Anyways, simply this school is awesome and I look forward to the rest of the School Year

Posted March 11, 2009

I have nothing but great things to say about this school, since my child started 6th grade in the fall. A wonderful, all-around school, with emphasis on education and the child as a whole. Teachers want the child to succeed and the communication is wonderful.

Posted January 7, 2009

teachers only work with students once a week, punisments such as suspensions do not get applied soon enough, the band is below average, and students are very very very badly behaved (fighting every month, cussing every day, etc)

Posted December 20, 2008

My son is attending 6th grade here & it is excellent. The teachers are really involved, which also keeps the kids really involved. I transfered my son into this Blue Ribbon Magnet school after he attended 3 days at Oceanway Middle School, needless to say JWJ is 200% better school. I also can actually track my sons progress (Every day if I wanted) through the schools use of SnapGrades.com and the communications with the teachers through e-mail, this not only helps me but also my son. JWJ is an excellent school, if I hadn't gotten my son into this program I think I would have had to pull him out of the public schools for home schooling which I am not an advocate for.

Posted November 8, 2008

i am in sixth grade gifted at this school and i love it so much, the teachers our nice and the schedule is easy to follow. Also the work, once you catch up on it, is very easy. they dont overload you with home work like everyone says

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 79% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

351 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

n/a

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
Performing and written arts
  • Drama

• Ms. Sharwonda Peek
Fax number
  • (904) 630-6653

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Band
Performing arts
  • Drama

Apply now

3276 Norman Thagard Blvd.
Jacksonville, FL 32254