Ventura Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 954 students

Posted June 2, 2014

I agree with the parent that stated during breakfast the children have to be reading... As they're waiting to go to their classes in the morning if they are caught not reading the teachers and or patrols demand that they read!! My kids reading at home has dropped tremendously due to that!! Let the kids be kids.... they have mandatory reading during school hours!!!! My 3 kids have been in that school since kindergarten, there has been different principles, assistant principals and teachers.... Wish I knew why.. I out of zoned all 3 of my kids from Boggy Creek elementary to Ventura and now I'm second guessing it after all these years! :/

Posted March 26, 2014

I think that it is very differant now. I dont know what happening. Please make this better.

Posted March 12, 2013

The main issue is there are many non English speaking children. I have 1 child I adopted. Math is mostly written problems. They should be teaching pure math (addition, subtraction, division, multiplications, etc). The children are struggling with English and being taught complex math in English, not basic math. They are falling behind in math big time because of this. I tutor my son everyday and his best subject is math, but not due to the way they teach math there. They do put the fear of FCAT into these children. My son feigned illness twice to try to avoid FCAT testing. My son has some learning issues so it is not all the fault of the school, but I wish I could do home schooling. It seems I have to teach him to keep him up to speed.

Posted August 22, 2012

ok the school now has a new principal and assistant principal fine with me but what's with the new changes now kids have to be reading while they are having breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria and after dismissal? is this for real? my kids are complaining already they feel persecuted a teacher noticed my 4th grader without a book in his hands and demanded to know why.. they will only accomplish one thing with this that the students wont like to read at all!

Posted August 29, 2011

All my children have come to this school and my little one is the last one here. All my children have done well and the staff goes above and beyond to help with the childrens needs. great staff. parents need to be more involved with helping there children aswell as the school. teaching begins in the home. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK VENTURA!

Posted September 17, 2009

My twin daughters have just started their first year of Kindergarden at Ventura.The Title 1 parent center is great.Vicki and Kelly who work in the parent center are very resourceful and always have an anwser to an question. Today I actually attended a Parent workshop which too was very resourceful pertaining to Getting Involved In Your Child's Education.Mrs.Zieglar my childrens teacher does an outstanding job with the children she teaches,and she is always in the parenting center seeking resources as well!

Posted March 24, 2009

Ventura is a great school. I appreciate Mrs. Franceschi's professionalism. Dr. Karlskin is also very helpful and professional. On a side note I'd like to say that the Parent Center is very valuable. Mrs. Woelk is very knowledgable about the items available for checkout and tries to help us find material based on my child's needs. The center has helped all three of my children excel in Math and Reading. Their grades improved after using material from the center. They have educational toys and hands on material that you can't find in stores.

Posted June 8, 2008

I truly believe this is an excellent school with wonderful teachers. My son just got promoted to a second grade with Honors and he love the school. Ms Lemle (Kindergarden) & Mrs Tosi (First Grade) made an amazing job on these kids and I know is not an easy job. But they did it. My Best for them! I am looking forward for 2008-09. Happy Summer!

Posted October 14, 2007

Ventura is a nice school. I would recommend this school to other parents. My children have excelled since entering Ventura. One specific thing I would like to mention is the Parent Resource Center. What an excellent idea! There is a classroom FULL of educational, fun materials for FREE check-out! All of the latest games and technology you'll find in most stores. This has made such a difference for my children. We now have family night once a week where we use something we've checked out from the Parent Center. I am also happy with the Administrative team at Ventura. We are lucky to have such a caring, supportive group of individuals at Ventura. Thank you.

Posted August 14, 2007

Overall Ventura is a decent school. However, I do believe they are too concerned with the FCAT and not other areas that need to be learned. I believe that if they had better communication with parents and suitable times for their programs they would have more parent involvement. Also the teachers could do better at communicating with us parents about concerns and achievements of our children throughout the year and not just at report card time. As far as academic programs their availability of classes needs to be known. There is nothing stating the availability of classes or who is eligible for what. As it is easy for a child to miss out and get lost in the shuffle.

Posted August 7, 2007

My third grade son had a very positive experience at Ventura during his first year here in Florida. When he started school in Aug. 2006 he struggled with reading. With extra help, centers, small group in class and me helping at home, my son was able to pass the FCAT on grade level. I believe parents should be involved in their children's education. I was able to go to the PTA meetings, only to see 2 or 3 parents in the meetings, this is very sad. The administration, teachers and staff are very dedicated to the students. The students are involved in dance, Stomp group, Art, etc. I am very happy to be part of the Ventura family!

Posted July 29, 2007

I have had 3 children enrolled in this school for 2 yrs now. I do not recommend this school to anyone who cares about quality education or their child's safety. The principle is very dismissive and bullying is a real big issue at this school. Also, the focus is on cat scoring while critical thinking skills as well as basic math and reading concepts are left to the wayside. My children had transferred from a public school system from a neighboring state; and they were on honor role. Here, they have been threatened by repeating a grade. Never have i been so disgusted! I volunteered and was involved yet the front staff never recognized me...How's that for 'personal touch'? I give the school f-.

Posted July 28, 2007

I think this is an excellent school with wonderful teachers, principal and asst. principal. I believe your child will get what they and the parent give out of the school. I am on both the PTO and SAC committee and stay very involved with my children's teachers. They are always willing to go above and beyond to help. I think the school has greatly improved since Mrs. Francheschi took over! And I really appreciate Dr. Karlskin and Mr. Bundy! They have truly made my children's educational experience enjoyable.

Posted December 26, 2006

I have 2 kids currently attending VES. I am highly upset that all they care about is the FCAT. I'm not interested in extracurricular activities because of how much disgusting behavior happens in class, and nothing is done about it, or it is overlooked.

Posted August 19, 2005

I believe this school is more about the fcat's then actually teaching the children, this school went from a C to an A and back to a C in 1 yr. makes parents wonder the quality of education our children are getting

Posted August 19, 2005

This will be the second year my son, Spencer, has attended Ventura. He is in the fourth grade. I feel that this school has brought out the best in Spencer. He has always had problems but Ventura really does take extra time and care to help Spencer. Last year because of the extra early morning tutoring program he made excellent grades on his FCAT. Spencer was so very proud of himself. Thank you Ventura. I am looking forward to the 2005-2006 school year.

Posted August 3, 2005

I think my dughter learned at the level that she need it to. Thank you Miss Zigler And Mrs D.

Posted May 10, 2005

I love the pre-k program at Ventura, my daughter has thrived along with the other kids in her class. I have volunteered quite a few times and the children are always happy to learn. Mrs. Suarez, their teacher is wonderful, a very nuturing and loving teacher. Mrs. Rodriguez, the teacher's assistant is a treasure as well. You won't go wrong with the Pre-k program at Ventura Elementary!

Posted April 29, 2005

Parent involvement is pretty good, music, art, etc. those activities are fine. However the front office staff is TERRIBLE, RUDE, AND NOT PUBLIC FRIENDLY AT ALL. The head Principle is not accessible when I as a parent wanted to speak with him regarding the safety of my child in his school. Some of the teaching staff also was very dismissive when I tried to address the fact that my child was being bullied at this school. The sherriff's officer assigned to the school was the only person who tried to help. Now she is at another school...So I really don't want my child at this school next yr nor do I want to register my 5yr old to the next school year. Other parents have experience the same treatment from the staff at this school. Mrs. Cruz

Posted January 18, 2005

great school, should have more parent school interaction.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

170 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

169 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

156 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

157 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

153 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

156 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Ethnicity This school

• MR. SCOTT CLARK
Fax number
  • (407) 344-5046

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now