1,217 students|Polk

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

As a parent concerned for my child that started 6th grade this current year at LHMS, I was terrified to send my child there because I heard awful rumors about the school and things that happen at the school. But, after getting to know some teachers, and staff members I have to say they are all really nice & helpful. They want whats best for all the kids. Yes, there's a few kids the act up, mouth off and so on, now put yourself in the shoes of this staff member or teacher. I'm sure none of us would like it. With that being said my child has never had an issue keeps to himself and works hard. I'm glad my child is part of LHMS, reguardless of all the negitive I think they care for every single child.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

What a joke. This school BREEDS bullying.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The teachers cant handle the classes and they dont care about us or our grades. Sometimes they dont even try to control the class.

Amount of homework: Disagree

We have 7 classes a day and most teachers give out homework everyday and expect it dont by the next day with out a reason than claim we're just using excuses not to do our work.

Not a good choice. Classrooms are very loud, teachers all yelling because they cant get conteol of the students, its a wonder our son learned at all, is going to McKeel Academy next year. bathrooms locked so kids cant use the bathrooms, then they are told to hold it for half the day, ect..allt of reverse discrimination happening also

Now that we got our child out of this school I am all but eager to share my utter disdain for it. Reverse discrimination stemming from the top? Check. "Self Defense Zero Tolerance" policy? Check. My child was tormented at this school by a bunch of emboldened punks who, as any sane human being knows, find comfort within this ridiculous policy that threatens the safety of good kids everyday. Meanwhile, the kids who are trying to NOT get in trouble are literally expected to stand there and get there heads beat in. I will NEVER forget during Orientation the first words to come out of one teachers mouth were "You do NOT hit back. There is no such thing as self defense here." I stood in utter shock at this lunacy being drilled into my kids head. I SO wanted to see if that same policy applied to the adults as well. Within 90 days of hearing this garbage, my child was (for the first time in our child's life) being fully victimized (shocker) by the gutless punks who really run that School under the full protection of It's own policies. . Meanwhile, we got steady "disciplinary" calls from the office for the most ridiculous things like "laughing in a manner that was disruptive".

A lot of people would say that this is not the school to go to and that you should go to Lawton Chiles. Believe me I was really scared about coming there in 6th grade, but now I'm in my last year and I'll have to say that this school is not as bad as it seems. I've done fine and all the kids have there own groups that they fit into. No one is left out. Don't be afraid to send your child to this school because despite what other people say it's a pretty good school. Take from a student that has been there for almost 3 years now. :)

Teachers falling asleep in their classrooms and the kids locked outside because they can't get into the classrooms. For years I atteded gatherings listening to the inhibriated teaching staff talk about what was really going on in this school. It was not good to say the least. To listen to the staffs characterazation of the students and other staffmembers was disturbing. I had a School District psychologist tell me she would never send her children there. The current principal is a bright note.

I was a past student at this school. Lakeland Highlands was the worst school that I ever attended. The students that attended this school when I was in the 8th grade here were so horrible that I only went to this school one year and never returned. I was tormented, harrassed, and assaulted by the horrid students that went to this school back then in the 8th grade. It seems from a few of these posts that it hasn't gotten any better. Nothing has changed. The students are still terrible. I would never recommend this school to any child or parent nor would I send my own kids there.

Last modified Lakeland Highlands Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.