726 students|Polk

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

They should rename this school to BullySchool. This school use to be a great school 20 years ago but the last 5 years it's more concerned about it's scores. Just check your child for bruises each day,take photos, get a lawyer & go to your child doctor. If you have a meeting with them words seem to get twisted around to protect themselves. Bring a lawyer or record the interview of course letting them know first.

My son was at Valleyview for kindergarten, and now is attending first grade here. The office staff can be a bit prickly at times, but I've learned that once you can get past their "wall", they're actually incredibly pleasant, funny, helpful people! We have a new principal this year, so I can't speak to that yet. But the Assistant (Mrs. Rogers) is absolutely amazing and always has a smile on her face. Our son is too young yet for state testing, but he finished his kindergarten year far ahead of where I'd hoped he would. We transfer to Valleyview since we're "out of zone"...and I will continue to do so as long as my son's in elementary school.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Obviously it depends on the teacher, out of 4 years we had 1 good teacher, she left the minute she got an offer at a different school. That in itself, should tell you all you need to know.

My 2 sons went to this school, the oldest from K-2 and my youngest for just K. For my oldest they never followed his IEP, never even read it until my wife brought it up. He was bullied, had 3 different teachers last year (it appears that if you are a qualified teacher you leave this school as soon as you get a chance). When we would request a meeting with the staff they would get defensive and try to blame my child for every issue, I'm not saying my child is perfect, but if there is an issue they should inform me so I can correct it, not use it as an excuse. A quote from my kindergartener was "I hope I can go to Scott Lake so people will be nice to me". I could go on and on, just so glad we are done with this school. If you are considering this school do your research and know what you are getting yourself in to.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Children have bullied my child and the teachers try to smooth it over by looking the other way. How is that supposed to develop honesty, integrity, or fairness?

My son has doctors and therapists that recommend certain things for my son and the school refuses to try it because it is a "recommendation". This school puts off IEP meetings and has no interest in any child other than the overachiever. Terrible school.

We have been at this school for my child's 2nd 3rd 4th grade years. I also find the staff unfriendly and uncooperative. Teachers and office staff. They are only worried about FCAT scores.NOT the overall well being of the child or if they are struggling and or retaining information and need help . Calls are not returned promptly. Complete lack of compassion for each child's individual needs. You must fit into a perfect square box here. I can not get out of this school fast enough. I have talked to several other moms with the same experience as my self and mentioned below. This school is NOT what it portrays to be AT ALL!

I need to know about what I can do for my son's school photographs, thanks for your time.

With my kids coming from a private school setting, I was very concerned about them going to ANY public school. But, I have been very happy and pleased with Valleyview. Everyone there is very helpful. Having children with learning struggles, the administration, the staff and the teachers took a first-hand approach to helping my children succeed. More so than the magnet school did or the private school did. When I have requested meetings, they have been scheduled timely and I've always been invited to attend the follow-ups. Their focus on FCAT is not the school's fault but the fault of the Florida DOE and No Child Left Behind Act. They do everything within their power to ensure that their students get a good education and are well-rounded with Art, Music, Science, PE and extra-curriculars like chorus. I think the school is wonderful and have been very pleased with my experience.

My first impression was that I found the office staff and prinicipal rather cold and uncooperative, I chalked it up to them just having a bad day but a yr later unfortunately the first impression stands. Teacher parent communication is discouraged to the point of being dismissive, the main concern is only FCAT scores not the overall learning experience, Arts are ignored and barely any extracurricular activities. Dissapointing experience.

Last modified Valleyview Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.