703 students|Pasco

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted June 14, 2016
I have two daughters that go to Denham Oaks elementary and we have had a great experience so far. They both scored very high on the standardized test and have thrived in the school environment. My one daughter even tested gifted in Kindergarten and when we moved into the school district two years ago, her teacher along with the administration worked together to ensure she had the tools to continue to excel. The Principle and the staff go above and beyond are very pleasant. The Principle is so personable and relatable and the kids all love her. She constantly is promoting fundraisers and events to make sure the school has funding for the various programs. She even had a science event in which a scientist came to the school to demonstrate numerous experiments. Our kids thought it was so amazing. I have no idea why the school rating is so low but I can say this these scores don't reflect the true picture of the school. I encourage each parent not to sleep on this school. Make sure you take the time to visit the schools in the area and investigate for yourself. I did that and chose this school for my family and it was the best decision I have made so far.

Denham Oaks Elementary School 1

Posted May 19, 2016
The principal is very rude and egotistical. The teachers blame the students for discipline problems.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 27, 2015
I'm not a big fan of homework, especially in the lower grades. I think children need time to play, socialize and be with their families after school is over. During my daughter's year in Kindergarten at Denham Oaks, she had very little homework, which was great.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 27, 2015
Teachers have a really hard job to do these days, especially with the amount of work and unfair assessments placed on them by ill-informed politicians. The teachers at Denham Oaks are doing an outstanding job despite all of that, which is truly commendable.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted July 27, 2015
From what I can tell, yes, although I haven't been there long enough to make a strong statement about this topic.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted July 27, 2015
Yes, they teach this in all that they do at the classroom level and in other areas.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted July 27, 2015
My daughter demonstrates compassion, as do the other kids in her class. I can see the teachers demonstrating it as well.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted July 27, 2015
They teach this in guidance and in the individual classrooms. It seems to be apparent across their programming.

Posted July 27, 2015
The teachers are great. They really seem to care about the students, and put their personal time and money into making the school a great place to learn. They are very accessible and friendly. The principal is accessible as well, and seems to know the name of every 700+ child at the school. The front office staff is also very pleasant. Please don't pay attention to ratings on this and other sites that are primarily based on standardized test scores. Studies have shown that standardized tests show little more than a student's ability to take a test, but have little to do with any kind of real learning assessments. It would be a huge mistake to make a decision about a school for your child primarily based on school grades or any other measure that relies on test scores.

Posted September 03, 2013
We have had a great experience with this school. One of the biggest surprise for me was how involve the principal is. She is always participating like one of us the the events, also is very approchable to parents. Parents and teachers also work together, its a friendly environment. I feel at home. My son started Kindergarten last year and I was so scared leaving him all day in a new place and community I wasn't familiar with. Everything came to place pretty fast. Everyone was helpful and guided us. I love this school and look forward to more years to come.

1422 Oak Grove Boulevard, Lutz, FL  33559
Last modified Denham Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.