Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Been very happy with the school for the last 10 years! I have had two of my children all ready out of Learning Gate and have 2 in there now, with 2 more future LG's! So far the school has gone thru changes throughout the years, but over all I LOVE this school and don't want my children to ever have to leave here!! I have one that is ADHD and one that has high functioning Autism and they seem to fit in just fine!! The teachers at this school are beyond amazing!! It's not your average school. It's based on nature and if you don't come home dirty then you didn't have a good day!! All I can say is it's the best school that I have ever seen and I'm glad to say that my kids go there!!!

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Another thing I have had to deal with in the past and I like to say they are quick to help resolve issues now. In the past around 7-10 years ago, not so much. I struggled with this then and almost pulled my child out. Now they work on welcoming new students and there is new students all the time, so the kids aren't as clicky as they were back in the days. They also have the children working with other grades as well so this makes the children learn patience and getting along with peers. I'm not going to say that no one will ever get bullied, as it happens, but I think they are much more on top of things these days.

Supports LD students: Agree

Still working on receiving my child's IEP...a little slow but not due to them, it's due to the county. They have been great at getting my child RTI and moving him up to 3 right away. The teacher is amazing at keeping him included in the classroom activities even thou he is behind and has speech issues. I feel this school has been amazing with helping my son learn!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Yes they teach manners and I don't recall ever encountering a child that goes here that didn't treat parents/teachers with respect. I mean of course all kids have their moments, but LG kids are excepted to act like LG kids! They seem to be above a standard public school child any day rather it be respect, compassion, or integrity!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I think the teachers here are amazing!! They think outside the box which makes each one special in how they teach! Not your boring teachers here, where you do nothing but work. The teachers make the kids Enjoy learning!!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Every year my kids talk about the teachers they love. Even the ones they find to be harder they learn to adapt to their teaching and grading methods.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school does the LG 53 where they teach kids to shake adults hands, say hello to parents on campus and look into the eyes of people they are talking to as well as hold doors, etc.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Most of the teachers are exceptional! They are amazing. They are happy to meet with you and discuss concerns, offer assistance and suggestions. They go above and beyond for the kids. It is a climate conducive to learning.

My children have been going to this school since Kindergarten and we love the school overall. The teachers really care about the kids and the atmosphere is very positive. As with all schools, some teachers click better than others, but overall, the teachers here work hard to give the kids a great education. My only real concern with this school is the gifted program. This program has had many changes over the years with teacher turnover. In the past, the gifted program focused on technology, then an additional teacher was added who left midyear. The focus was technology (with various technical issues) and switched to geography with a new teacher midyear. A different new teacher (along with one who stayed) this year and the focus has now become science. The problem is that the science has taken the place of their regular science class. I am not alone in having concerns about the effectiveness of this as a replacement to their regular well-run 5th grade science class.

We are just finishing our first year of kindergarten at Learning Gate and have been beyond thrilled with the school overall. The school goes far beyond the typical work book curriculum. They bring the children to the gardens, where they grow fruits and vegetables, care for the chickens and learn about sustainability. They explore the woods on hikes to search for bugs and animals, measure trees and band birds. I think they are adjusting well to the curriculum requirements and changes, my daughter testing well above the Hillsborough county average. Her teacher did a good job with breakout reading groups and identifying specific student levels. She would appropriately challenge her with areas she could improve upon in math. Science is hand down the schools super strength, she recites planets, animal classes, and environmental facts not just the knowledge but with a true understanding. Her class started the year growing tadpoles and I've watched them release butterflies they raised from caterpillars they found outside. The campus is a beautiful place to be and an experience you must feel for yourself. Classes feel like small families, you get to know every child and most of the parents very well. I always say go with your gut when making the difficult decision of choosing the right school. This school isn't for everyone but it is perfect for our family and both of our girls! Looking forward to having one start first grade and the other kindergarten next year. Some of their after school clubs include: swimming, yoga, glee, Magic Tree house book club etc. Our field trips this year were gym/play place, beach (and Seabird Sanctuary), the Lowry Park Zoo and Lettuce Park.

Last modified Learning Gate Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.